Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Bible Translations for Children?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Matthew G

My oldest daughter is 7 years old, and she's gotten to the point where she is very curious about God and what He has to say about things, how Jesus lived, how church started, etc. I am exceedingly thankful for this, but she has asked for a Bible of her own, and frankly I'm stumped.

In the interest of honesty, my daughter is a fairly intelligent little girl, but her reading comprehension is a little lacking. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a Bible translation fit for young children, preferably one they've used themselves. Obviously, a quick Google search will probably show me a dozen or more translations, but I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience in this area, and thus some insight to offer.

Personally, I primarily read the King James Version, but my secondary (and used nearly as often) is the English Standard Version. Obviously, the KJV is most-likely beyond the capacity of an average 7 year old to understand, but I'm not sure my daughter would grasp what she read in the ESV, either.

Of course my wife and I will willingly answer any questions, but I want her to be able to have her own quiet study time, and enjoy her own revelations without being hindered by my human brain getting in the way. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance!

I like kids bibles with lots of pictures... I learned much from pictures.... Thinking now of the one of Peter and rooster... The books of children's bible stories, one written to her abilities. Hearing my Dad read the KJ for years and years it is the one I use today. ( That was a hint to for you to read to her) ... You know a good Bible you will find her one... I knew a kid who LOVED his comic book style bible because he could understand it.... God has taken care of His Word from the beginning...

I must appreciate your daughter for wanting a Bible of her own. As you already know there are a lot of versions available in the market. There is a version for the modern age, there is a version in easy English, there is a in today's English, there is a version for teens, and there are versions for women as well. But let me put it this way.

You can choose to give your child a version that is easy for her to read and understand. What you would be doing them is to give your daughter a version that does not allow her to grow spiritually beyond a level. You would be offering her a version that could confuse her doctrinal understanding. You would be giving her a version that has some key verses missing or some key verses changed.

Or you could give your daughter a version that is most accurate and can greatly help the spiritual growth of you child. But that version would be a little difficult to understand which she could overcome with your help.

So if you choose the first option you can give her any of the modern versions. Or if you choose the second option you could offer the KJV. The choice is yours.

For a 7 year old I would recommend a special kid's bible with pictures, but when she gets more older and wants to actually have a "proper" Bible i would recommend the Contemporary English Version (CEV) and then the NIV. They're the version we teach our kids at Sunday School. Personally I love the ESV and NASB but they require a higher degree of comprehension than a 7 year old is going to have.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back