Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Verse of the Day: November 6, 2021

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Sister

CF Ambassador

crop.php

Oh, wow. This one gets debated quite a bit. The question becomes, in what way might the righteousness of the law be fulfilled in us? Through faith or through actions? I take the latter, as that seems to fit the context better. If you look closely, what Paul says God made possible for us to fulfill here was the righteousness of the law, not the righteousness of faith. By that, he meant what he was referring to earlier in Chapter 2, when he talked about the righteousness the believing Gentiles were now walking in:

14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) 16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

Paul was not talking here about Jewish ceremonial law but the two greatest commandments, upon which the entire law and the prophets were based: To love the Lord with one's whole heart, mind, soul and strength, and love one's brother as oneself.

So I take the passage in Romans 8 to be saying the same thing Jesus said about the Pharisees. They did not keep the heart of the law. Although they appeared to keep it externally, in many ways they were actually wanting to break it in their hearts, and this is why Jesus said to the disciples, "Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees, you shall in no wise enter into the kingdom of Heaven." He was speaking again of practical righteousness. He meant that we must not be hypocrites (i.e. "actors") like the Pharisees were, many of whom put on a religious act but deep down did not truly love God nor their fellow man. As for us, however, the teaching was that true believers in Christ fulfilled the righteousness of the law. It is what the Spirit was poured out for; that we might walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit, and fulfill the two greatest commandments rather than merely pretending to do so just to look religiously devout.

Those are my thoughts. Not everyone shares them with me. I'm glad Marks isn't here; this post would possibly start a ten page, seemingly endless debate, Lol.

Last edited:
Ben Abrahim shared something very similar in thought in this study:

Ben Abrahim shared something very similar in thought in this study:

I'll have to take a look.

I'll have to take a look.

Just wanted to highlight how my perspective as a New Testament-oriented Gentile and his perspective as an Old-Testament-oriented Jew are nevertheless largely the same. Fulfilling the righteousness of the law there is not referring to doing so "by faith," as many seem to think. It is about fulfilling the two greatest commandments in our practical lives. Jewish Christians would not understand the text of Romans 8 otherwise. We still serve a God who desires to be obeyed in the things that are most important to Him, and always has.

Back