Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Verse of the Day: September 28, 2021

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Sister

CF Ambassador

14241.jpg

What I get out of the whole passage of Psalm 23 that my avatar is actually my reminder of, is that God takes care of everything. There are some scarey things in life right now with covid and political tension in the air, and yet as children of God, we are His sheep. He leads us. He comforts us. Not even our enemies we have to worry about. We are safe, loved, and cared for in Christ Jesus and we will go on to live with Him for eternity.

14241.jpg

What I get out of the whole passage of Psalm 23 that my avatar is actually my reminder of, is that God takes care of everything. There are some scarey things in life right now with covid and political tension in the air, and yet as children of God, we are His sheep. He leads us. He comforts us. Not even our enemies we have to worry about. We are safe, loved, and cared for in Christ Jesus and we will go on to live with Him for eternity.

An excellent warfare passage. The verse before it is just as strong:

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me. Your rod and Your staff they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil. My cup runs over.

The imagery is of a conquering leader celebrating the soils of war in the presence of his enemies, now held captive before him. I've been thinking this morning about the verse "take every thought captive to the Lord Jesus Christ." Many think it's about taking one's own thoughts captive, but the verse is actually about defeating heresies on the theological front, by destroying any arguments that are raised up against the truth.

5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:5)

The picture here was of protecting a walled city from invasion against the siege engines the Romans used to overcome walls and conquer them.

BaraldiSiegeLL-G.jpg

I see so much heresy taught now. It requires being better armed and better skilled at handling the word of God than ever before to defend orthodoxy. I have no doubt the truth will be defended, but we do live in scary times when it seems the heresies the enemy is putting forth might be overcoming the truth. What are needed are true leaders. For those used by God in this way, the rewards will be similar to those of David's. They will be glorified by God in the presence of their enemies. But what is needed are those who can do more than simply demolish arguments; He needs heroes and leaders who will be visible and display spiritual leadership, and lead thousands by their influence...

Who will be the "Davids" the Lord raises up in the end-times? I certainly hope that day comes in my own life.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me. Your rod and Your staff they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil. My cup runs over.

The imagery is of a conquering leader celebrating the soils of war in the presence of his enemies, now held captive before him. I've been thinking this morning about the verse "take every thought captive to the Lord Jesus Christ." Many think it's about taking one's own thoughts captive, but the verse is actually about defeating heresies on the theological front, by destroying any arguments that are raised up against the truth.

5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:5)

The picture here was of protecting a walled city from invasion against the siege engines the Romans used to overcome walls and conquer them.

BaraldiSiegeLL-G.jpg

I see so much heresy taught now. It requires being better armed and better skilled at handling the word of God than ever before to defend orthodoxy. I have no doubt the truth will be defended, but we do live in scary times when it seems the heresies the enemy is putting forth might be overcoming the truth. What are needed are true leaders. For those used by God in this way, the rewards will be similar to those of David's. They will be glorified by God in the presence of their enemies. But what is needed are those who can do more than simply demolish arguments; He needs heroes and leaders who will be visible and display spiritual leadership, and lead thousands by their influence...

Who will be the "Davids" the Lord raises up in the end-times? I certainly hope that day comes in my own life.

I NEVER thought of this passage like this, but it makes sense. David was a war hero and a king. And yet he was a sheep just resting as he was lead by the shepherd. Wow... As far as taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, yeh, I've used that in the wrong context all this time.... :/ I guess it is like having an answer ready for anyone who asks you.

As far as taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, yeh, I've used that in the wrong context all this time....

That's one of those verses where a particular application gets passed around so much that eventually no one is the wiser to what it actually means, LoL. It's like I heard someone say one time, "I've had a lot of help misunderstanding the Bible."
I guess it is like having an answer ready for anyone who asks you.

Yeah, kinda. Only when he said that it was in reference to being ready to share the gospel with someone the minute they showed interest in hearing it. When it comes to being ready to answer the countless amount of heresies out there these days, it takes being especially skilled at apologetics and hermeneutics. I was discussing it with JLB the other day. Personally I always hated dealing with that stuff (as debates often end up being contentious). But I'm seeing now how necessary it is, cuz things appear to be getting worse. I may have to spend the next several months off and on honing up on what the Jehovah's Witnesses teach, cuz they are apparently out there "Jehovahing" it up all over the place now.
And yet he was a sheep just resting as he was lead by the shepherd.

Having to stay reminded of this myself. As the scripture says, "It is the Father who does the work," and "It is not by power nor by might, but by My Spirit says the Lord."

Thanks for the reminder. :thumbsup

BaraldiSiegeLL-G.jpg

Can you explain this one more time in another way with another example so that I can get the clear picture.

I have been suspecting a Spirit called "Spirit of Thoughts" (Ephesians 2:2) which is being used to bewitched God's children to fall away from grace. This spirit build up thoughts from unfamiliar to familiar addictions and heat your imagination to be in the mood with a killer instinct of no-going-back mind. For those who are addicted to anything, it is this spirit that crowd their minds with different thoughts and passion from distraction to distraction to higher height of distraction then to falling and regret then boom the regret causes disturbance and then another thought begins. It's an higher power of advance wickedness. (Ephesians 6:12) This is what make people depressed and misbehave.and doubt and rebel and etc

Now going back your explanation in Psalm 23. You treat me to a feast, while my enemies watch. You honor me as your guest, and you fill my cup until it overflows. Psalms 23:5

These Spirit of Thoughts is right there before everyone as a result of the indwelling forbidden fruit nature since.the beginning but as Christian we feast in God's table amidst them and we were anointed to move on into God's plan through His anointing to achieve his purpose for us.

These "Spirit of Thoughts" formed all we are seeing today in our society. I go with what you and Sister said that these are what we are fighting against.

It's through Jesus we fight against them till He comes and conquer them in His power and Kingdom.

Can you explain this one more time in another way with another example so that I can get the clear picture.

I have been suspecting a Spirit called "Spirit of Thoughts" (Ephesians 2:2) which is being used to bewitched God's children to fall away from grace. This spirit build up thoughts from unfamiliar to familiar addictions and heat your imagination to be in the mood with a killer instinct of no-going-back mind. For those who are addicted to anything, it is this spirit that crowd their minds with different thoughts and passion from distraction to distraction to higher height of distraction then to falling and regret then boom the regret causes disturbance and then another thought begins. It's an higher power of advance wickedness. (Ephesians 6:12) This is what make people depressed and misbehave.and doubt and rebel and etc

Now going back your explanation in Psalm 23. You treat me to a feast, while my enemies watch. You honor me as your guest, and you fill my cup until it overflows. Psalms 23:5

These Spirit of Thoughts is right there before everyone as a result of the indwelling forbidden fruit nature since.the beginning but as Christian we feast in God's table amidst them and we were anointed to move on into God's plan through His anointing to achieve his purpose for us.

These "Spirit of Thoughts" formed all we are seeing today in our society. I go with what you and Sister said that these are what we are fighting against.

It's through Jesus we fight against them till He comes and conquer them in His power and Kingdom.

Well, it sounds as if you are still applying 2 Corinthians 10:5 to the interpretation of "casting down imaginations," as in casting down one's own personal thoughts that are sinful and distract from the thoughts of God.

The correct translation, however, is "casting down arguments," and by this statement Paul was referring to how he was "set for the defense of the gospel," and would refute the false doctrines being presented by the Pharisees, the Essenes, the Gnostics, and other heretical sects that were trying to influence Christians to turn away from the true teachings of early Christianity.

I do believe we should control our own personal thoughts, because there are several verses about that. The scriptures say "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he," and "whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute... think on these things." I'm just saying that that when it comes to 2 Corinthians 10:5, that verse is misapplied as talking about controlling our own thoughts when it's actually about refuting the false teachings of heretics.

Well, it sounds as if you are still applying 2 Corinthians 10:5 to the interpretation of "casting down imaginations," as in casting down one's own personal thoughts that are sinful and distract from the thoughts of God.

The correct translation, however, is "casting down arguments," and by this statement Paul was referring to how he was "set for the defense of the gospel," and would refute the false doctrines being presented by the Pharisees, the Essenes, the Gnostics, and other heretical sects that were trying to influence Christians to turn away from the true teachings of early Christianity.

I do believe we should control our own personal thoughts, because there are several verses about that. The scriptures say "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he," and "whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute... think on these things." I'm just saying that that when it comes to 2 Corinthians 10:5, that verse is misapplied as talking about controlling our own thoughts when it's actually about refuting the false teachings of heretics.

I'm kinda bummed about that too. Lol.

How do you refute false teachings? is it by personally casting them down in our own thoughts or arguing with those who preach them? Just want to know

How do you refute false teachings? is it by personally casting them down in our own thoughts or arguing with those who preach them? Just want to know

By correcting those who preach them. Paul was warning that when he came to the Corinthians he would boldly correct those who were saying his teachings were carnal and "fleshly." This is how we know it was about confronting false teaching.

2 I beseech you, that I may not be bold when I am present with that confidence, wherewith I think to be bold against some, who think of us as if we walked according to the flesh. 3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; 5 Casting down arguments, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

But now, it is also true that you have to first recognize false teachings from true teachings yourself. If not, you will not know to correct them when conversing with others.
I'm kinda bummed about that too. Lol.

LoL. :) Everyone gravitates towards different themes in scripture. Some focus on interpreting everything in light of faith; others in light of knowledge and renewing the mind, or church involvement. I came to the place a few decades ago that the real focus is on the spiritual war between good and evil, and the battle going on between God and Satan for the souls of men, and control over the earth. But like I was saying to SV, we have to win the battles within ourselves first. Satan tries to get in our heads and convince us we are unworthy, or that he will destroy us, or that we will never succeed at serving God. And that's sort of why Paul taught about thinking only on that which was of good report. He wrote that verse from prison but refused to be down. All through Philippians his driving point was to stay joyful, on the principle of how important it is to guard your heart, and stay in hope about what God is and can be doing rather than focusing on what the enemy is doing.

So in a way, both are important. Before you can be effective in the spiritual war going on outside yourself, you have to conquer the enemy within. He wants to silence the truth from being spoken, so if he can keep you bottled up in fears and intimidation then he has accomplished his purpose. The trick is to strengthen your ability to silence him in your thought life. Then you can focus on silencing him in the public arena.

By correcting those who preach them. Paul was warning that when he came to the Corinthians he would boldly correct those who were saying his teachings were carnal and "fleshly." This is how we know it was about confronting false teaching.

2 I beseech you, that I may not be bold when I am present with that confidence, wherewith I think to be bold against some, who think of us as if we walked according to the flesh. 3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; 5 Casting down arguments, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

But now, it is also true that you have to first recognize false teachings from true teachings yourself. If not, you will not know to correct them when conversing with others.

LoL. :) Everyone gravitates towards different themes in scripture. Some focus on interpreting everything in light of faith; others in light of knowledge and renewing the mind, or church involvement. I came to the place a few decades ago that the real focus is on the spiritual war between good and evil, and the battle going on between God and Satan for the souls of men, and control over the earth. But like I was saying to SV, we have to win the battles within ourselves first. Satan tries to get in our heads and convince us we are unworthy, or that he will destroy us, or that we will never succeed at serving God. And that's sort of why Paul taught about thinking only on that which was of good report. He wrote that verse from prison but refused to be down. All through Philippians his driving point was to stay joyful, on the principle of how important it is to guard your heart, and stay in hope about what God is and can be doing rather than focusing on what the enemy is doing.

So in a way, both are important. Before you can be effective in the spiritual war going on outside yourself, you have to conquer the enemy within. He wants to silence the truth from being spoken, so if he can keep you bottled up in fears and intimidation then he has accomplished his purpose. The trick is to strengthen your ability to silence him in your thought life. Then you can focus on silencing him in the public arena.
Cleared!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back