Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

breast feeding in public...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Entropic_Prodigy said:
I didn't realize this was still an issue in our culture today. :o
Woman Claims She Was Kicked Off Flight for Breast-Feeding Baby
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,229390,00.html

I would be so embarrassed! I can't believe the flight attendant thought she needed to be booted from the plane because she wouldn't put a germy airplane blanket over her baby/breast! The article says she was being discreet too! I understand maybe the flight attendant thought her refusal to follow a request might be considered a "security risk" but give me a break! She wasn't doing anything wrong and is not obligated to take the germy blanket to cover up or stop breastfeeding.
http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?g ... 4976840130

...just my :twocents, but the women that are usually unmodest about baring their breasts in public are usually the ones that are too vain to breast-feed in the first place.
Very well said, E_P. :clap

...and I've fed my child in a public restroom before. It *bleep*. :grumpy

Since when is "*bleep*" a bad word? it's what babies do...
Ever since it was used in a derogatory way several times in the past. ;)

It doesn't bother me a bit.

Actually, awhile back our friends were over, and she went to a corner to breast feed her child (unknown to me) and over I come to ask her a question :oops

To be honest, I'm sitting there talking to her, and I didn't even know until my wife said something like, "Jeff, leave her alone, she's feeding her baby!" :nono

It was about then I lost eye contact with her, and noticed her child :oops :oops :oops

oops :lol

Hi all, i had this reply in my thread on my Aussie Christian forum and i was unsure of a good response... can anyone here help me out?? said post goes like this............

....................................................................................................................
I've never once said I have a problem with breast feeding. In fact I've said the opposite. And I've never said it's wrong in church. However it does need to be as discrete. And this means sitting at the back or in another room for reasons mentioned previously.

How is it disrespectful? What about sex? Sex is possibly the most beautiful thing ever in the whole of every little thing ever! But I'd be pretty offended and put off if you started doing it during the church service.

....................................................................................................................

I think he's just being silly but i think it needs to be said that breastfeeding is nothing like sex. i'm just not sure of a convincing way to say it??

I agree. Breast feeding is nothing like having sex in the pews at church. I still think it should be discrete (The woman that did it in my church was sitting in the front then all of a sudden *flop* out comes you know what pretty much in front of a bunch on young kids going to Sunday school) :screwloose

Hi!

My youngest daughter is breast feeding her fourth child now. She has fed her babies at church, usually in the back seats after service when our nursury was not open. She most often uses the nursing mothers room connected to the nursery with a two way window and audio so mom's can recieve the message. :) No one has ever been offended by this but many women breast feed at our church so the fellowship is probably used to it.

There is a special kind of blanket available in places like Wal-Mart that attaches to mom's clothes for security, offers complete coverage, and even has a peek-a-boo flexible opening for mom to check her little one as he/she nurses. I can get the name of it from my daughter for any of you mom's that are interested. Lots of babies have reflux and need to be monitored for possible choking.

The most public place she has fed her babies has been in the family van. The van's height makes it ideal, and rear seats conceal everything. :shades

She has never nursed in a public place~ although she is a stay-at-home-mom, which makes it easier for her than for many mom's. I am so glad to hear of all the laws protecting this natural and healthy way to feed an infant, so many protections for babies have been removed these days. :screwloose

bonnie

I believe it's natural, and if done discretely with the baby's head covered with a cloth diaper or burp cloth, you should be able to feed your child anywhere you go. I know I did with my son Happi. Now as a breast feeding mother, I feel she should at all times take the percaution and responsibility of making sure she carrys a small clean blanket or cloth diaper to cover her child and her while feeding. If it's done correctly and modestly, no one will ever know this is what you're doing.

Hey Jeff can vouch for that!!!!! :toofunny :hysterical But it's proof it can be done without the whole world knowing that's what she's doing, even to the point of someone being able to carry a conversation with someone while they're doing it and not even know they're breast feeding. :thumb

And the nursing blanket with the peek a boo window that Bonnie was talking about from Wal-Mart, now that's way to cool....would have liked one of those when I was a young mother who breast feed.

Blazin Bones said:
John, I still don't see what is wrong with it if the woman makes the effort to cover up. I'm completely with Caroline on this one. If we can accept Bikini's everywhere and have Arbies commercials that use the Arby's logo to symbolize an erection and show these things with children watching, why should the natural thing of breast feeding be treated in a negative light?

EXACTLY! There are woman that can make it an art, been with woman who said afterward 'well I just fed my baby' and I never noticed!! Modern baby carriers that go in the front diagonally, and wraps etc 100% covering it up, of course it can be done and should be encouraged!

My sister is a midwife who says a lot of woman don't want to breastfed as they feel shunned when in public. We who are christians especially should support women in this modern world doing what God intended them to. I have even been with women in private in their sitting room with no wraps etc and you see far more in public with low cut t-shirts.

Nursing bras have a 'hole' in the cup so there is no taking down of the whole cup or strap etc even if a woman doesn't have a shawl.
Maybe some men are ignorant of this and is why they object?

Babies have a right to be fed in public. If a bloke has an issue he should look away.
There's a parents room at church, equipped with change tables. It has chairs that can be cutartained off, if required, by nursing mums. A mature female chaperoon presides over the room.

Once when a bloke entered the room, the chaperoon quickly rushed over to a nursing mum, who was NOT cordoned off, and whispered something in her ear. No prizes for guessing what she said. The young lady turned head and quickly replied, whereupon the chaperron returned to her seat and remined silent for all the while the bloke was in the room.

The mum did NOT curtain herself off and the chaperoon probably realised that modesty thresholds differ.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back