Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

By grace, I'm saved.

schmikey

At the pearly gates of heaven, two men sat. They were waiting for St. Peter to admit them into the courts of heaven. One of the men had been a rich business man, and the other had been a construction worker.

The business man was smug, and sure of himself. "Surely, they'll let me in." He thought to himself. He looked at the construction worker sitting next to him. "This guy doesn't have a chance of getting in." Finally, the business man broke the silence. The business man introduced himself. "I'm Jonathan P. Johnson Jr." The construction worker said, "I'm Jack Logan, nice to meet you." Then the business man asked Jack Logan a question."So, my friend, what did you do to get in here?" Jack Logan looked surprised. "Do? All I did was believe in Jesus Christ." The business man scoffed. "Is that all? Nothing is free. You have to earn it. Take me, for example. I was an important person in my community and in my church. I served as a deacon, and as president of my congregation. I gave of both my time and money to the community. Let's face it, I've earned my place in here."

When St. Peter came out, he called out Jack Logan's name. "Jack Logan, you may enter heaven." The business man was stunned; he did not hear his name called. He went up to St. Peter. "What gives? Why does he get in and I don't? Think of all good I've done. Surely that would earn me a spot in here." St. Peter looked at the business man. "Good works are fine, but they don't save you. Only faith in Jesus saves. Maybe you should have read the verse of the Bible that says, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no man can boast."(Eph. 2:8,9)

There are many people, some Christians included, who believe that their works will save them. There is nothing wrong with good works. Good works will not save anyone. only faith in the Lord Jesus Christ will do that. In the Christian life, good works show that faith is living, and that the Holy Spirit is at work. People are reminded to continue to do good works, but to remember that faith in Christ alone saves.

"Salvation unto us has come,
By God's free grace and favor;
Good works cannot avert our doom,
They help and save us never.
Faith looks to Jesus Christ alone;
Who did for all the world atone;
He is our one Redeemer."

SALVATION UNTO US HAS COME, VERSE 1
Paul Speratus, 1484-1551
The Lutheran Hymnal, 1941

Back