Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Camp Basic 2007

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
F

Fnerb

A few (one for sure ;-) ) express interest, so here goes...

I just got back from my week at Camp BASIC. It was another amazing week of glorifying our Lord!

What is Camp BASIC?

First off, BASIC stands for Brothers And Sisters In Christ and is affiliated with the Wisconsin Lutheran Synod (WELS). Essentially, confirmed WELS members (as well as those synods we are in fellowship with) are invited to come and volunteer for one of two weeks and be a counselor for one of the campers. However, you soon find out how much they teach you!

Camp 2007

Our theme this year was - "Lord, Keep me on track!" So many of the campers are amazing! Such an example of child-like faith! Some of them only know the basics, but many of them are extremely biblically intelligent. One of the campers, Johnathan, would be reading his bible most any time we had down-time. What an awesome example!

A few photos:

Here is Gary working with his counselor during one of our bible story reviews (Gary is famous for his elephant impersonation which comes up during one of the songs we routinely sing)
cap003%20(Custom).JPG

Here is James (who is actually my uncle) working with his counselor during review:
cap004%20(Custom).JPG

Singing time!
cap006%20(Custom).JPG

Everyone around the parachute during one of the activities
cap007%20(Custom).JPG

cap005%20(Custom).JPG

I post this last picture of Kenny (that's him launching the water balloon) somewhat with a heavy heart. This is my 8th year of going to camp. And over the years, we have lost some of the "usual" campers who routinely show up. This year, one camper in particular that I was looking forward to seeing couldn't make it. It's hard to see some of these campers age and fade. This is where some sadness comes in with Kenny. He is starting slip and I think is in the early stages of Alzheimer's. It's very hard and sad to see. He really is forgetting who people are. He even has trouble introducing his sister at times. However, there is something to be joyful about!

The last day, I was just sitting with Kenny as we awaited his mother and sister to come and pick him up. He was holding the folder that holds all of the bible stories for the week. On the cover, was the seal for Martin Luther College. At the very center of this seal is a heart with a cross in it. Kenny and I were talking and I was asking him some questions he couldn't answer at that time (he would just forget). Yet, he would look around at the rest of the campers and just smile and say, "I'm going to be all right."

Toward the end of our conversation, I pointed to the heart and said, "Kenny, what's that?"
"A heart." He replied.
"And what's inside the heart."
...Kenny stammers a bit and isn't sure how to answer the question.
"Is it a cross?" I ask.
"Oh yeah."
"And who died on the cross?" I ask
"Jesus!!" He replies with a huge smile on his face. (And I still tear up typing the story).

It is such an awesome privilege to serve at camp. As Pastor said in our opening devotion, "We have been given a privilege by God to be here and not share just any love, but his love."

I thank God to be a part of it and been given the honor of learning from each and every one of the campers...

Great Testimony and Great Pictures that show God's love.

Thanks Fnerb!

Veritas said:
Thanks for sharing Fnerb! Looks like a fun camp!

No problem. It's a great camp!

Solo said:
Great Testimony and Great Pictures that show God's love.

Thanks Fnerb!

You know Solo I have to admit, many of the campers (especially Kenny) are some of the greatest examples of 1 Thessalonians 5:16 that I have seen. It's so humbling. I am actually somewhat envious at times.

Back