Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can the bible become an idol?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
st_worm2, it would be best for you to start a new discussion in an appropriate forum to ask the questions above. This forum is for addressing the original poster's (OP's) questions only so we don't want to sidetrack this discussion. Thanks.
Thanks WIP, and apologies to you Riven for the thread drift!

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - if it would be best for the thread to remove my off-topic posts, please don't hesitate to do so. Thanks again :)

Suppose a Christian puts the bible above Jesus. Can the bible then become an idol? If a man worships the bible instead of Jesus, is he or she guilty of idolatry?
That's a good question. Well John 1 says that Jesus is the Word (the Bible). So we can't possibly worship the Bible more than Jesus.

Now if we formulate a Jesus in our own head that's all snuggly & cuddly, affirms everything we like and agrees with all our ideologies. Never calls us to repent, never challenges us to change, never makes us feel uncomfortable when we are in sin, even then that's idolatry and not worshipping the real Jesus.

The real Jesus never contradicts His word, and the real Jesus never violates His Holiness to appease the fetishes of man.

Did God create the Bible?

Romans 1: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

I would offer to help keep focus.

2 Corinthians 4:18King James Version While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal

Did God create the Bible?

Romans 1: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

I would offer to help keep focus.

2 Corinthians 4:18King James Version While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eterna1 Corinthians 1:20 kjv
Good post

20. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21. Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

The imagery is clearly seen with the eye, but not seen with the eye of our understanding. The cerebellum can be seen with the eye (imagery), but the tree planted on either side of the river coming from throne of God is not praised (like you are saying) is missed.

So that seeing they see not and hearing they hear not ( as Jesus spoke of in Matthew 13 about parables.)

Man wants to say man is the highest of things on the earth, and not give God the honor.

Without the Bible we would not know how to look at imagery.

Mississippi redneck
rddif

Maybe if they stare at it and bow to it a certain amount of time in a day or pour oil on it, something odd. America's say the pledge of allegiance so it probably hard to worship the bible. Christians do the Christian allegiance too. I think otvwould be very slim for someone to worship the bible. I don't know. I find it odd people worship plastic, wood, gold but hey they do so it is possible.

Can the bible become an idol? Absolutely, if you believe you can just read and study this COLLECTION of ancient books - not one book, just a reminder, and then it will transform you and all your problems magically go away, then the bible has become an idol. Take Philip's evangelization to the Ethiopian eunuch for instance -

So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah (53:7), and said, "do you understand what you are reading?" And he said, "How can I, unless someone guides me?" And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him. - Acts 8:30-31

The same applies to us. The Scripture is sufficient, but you yourself are not. We all need teachers and peers to guide us in our spiritual journey. This is why I believe that testimonies, evidence and experience that validate the bible is what really transform you, especially authentic experience that gets into your muscle memory.

Last edited:
Back