Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Charismatic Bible Studies - 1 Peter 1:1-5, Part 2

Hidden In Him

Charismatic
Staff member
Our Heavenly Inheritance, And What The Spirit Is Revealing Today, Part 2

maxresdefault.jpg

Peter opened his first letter by mentioning the inheritance that is awaiting us in Heaven. It was a promise of God they were safeguarding through faith, and it appears from his language that Peter felt his readers inherently understood what to expect after this life was over. Picking it up again from verse three:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has given us birth again unto a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, unto an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and unfading, having been kept in Heaven for you, being safeguarded through faith in the power of God unto a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. (1 Peter 1:3-5)

Well before the New Testament era, the Jews were promised an inheritance by God, a "land flowing with milk and honey." This is because it was intended to serve as a prophetic parallel for what was to come. God knew He would offer the promise of Heaven to believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, so New Testament writers often drew prophetic parallels between the events going on at the time with things that had happened in the wilderness. Both the Old Testament Jews and New Testament Christians enjoyed similar blessings from God, yet both also faced similar temptations:

1 Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ. 5 But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness. 6 Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. 7 And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” (1 Corinthians 1-:1-7)

The implication here was that Christians were to forego earthly pleasures for pleasures in the next life. The true "promised land" the Exodus pointed to was Heaven. Thus, Jesus Himself stated that they were not to store up treasures on earth but in Heaven:

19 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. (Matthew 6:19-21)

This appears to have been a very clear reference by our Lord to owning material possessions in Heaven, which on earth deteriorate over time and can also be stolen away, but as for the "incorruptible, undefiled and unfading" inheritance it would not. Thus, Peter was encouraging them to hope for the true inheritance in Heaven, but how can one hope for what now knows nothing about? Thankfully, the Spirit of God is again revealing through visions exactly what our "promised land" in Heaven is going to be like.

Gardens and Fountains

Returning then to modern Heaven accounts that spell out in greater detail what awaits us in eternity, along with beautiful cities and mansions, another element that runs throughout most Heaven accounts is the impeccable landscaping, which enhances the beauty of every home and every building:

Each building in the city was extremely large and perfectly integrated with all the others. The entire city gave the impression of being one garden of flowers, one grove of shady trees, one gallery of sculptures, and one sea of fountains. All of these together with the buildings, formed an unbroken expanse of sumptuous architecture set in a surrounding landscape of matching beauty. This was then overarched by a colored sky that bathed every object in its incredible and ever-changing shades. (Davis, Nine Days In Heaven, P.26)

Wherever I looked, I saw half-hidden by the trees, elegant and beautiful houses of strangely attractive architecture... I caught glimpses of sparkling fountains in many directions, and close to my retreat flowed a river with water clear as crystal. The walks that ran in many directions through the grounds appeared to me to be, and I afterward found were, of pearl, spotless and pure, bordered on either side by narrow streams of water running over stones of gold. The one thought that fastened itself upon me was "Purity, purity!"... The grass and flowers looked as though fresh-washed by summer showers, and not a single blade was any color but the brightest green. The air was soft and balmy though invigorating; and instead of sunlight there was a golden and rosy glory everywhere, something like the afterglow of a Southern sunset in midsummer. (Springer, My Dream Of Heaven, P.7-8)

Every believer is also said to have his or her own private garden, where they meet privately with others on occasion, including the Lord. These contain trees, flowers, herbs, colors and fragrances that are unique to the individual, just as each of us are unique in the Lord's eyes. One such garden was described by Anna Rountree, who was shown hers in the following heavenly vision:

I stood facing the three-tiered fountain in the center of the garden. Cool, clear water flowed from its top and gently pooled in its widely-rimmed basin. The large flowering apricot tree arched over the fountain, with the bench for two at its base. I let my eyes rest upon the colors and varieties of the plantings within the walled area. All sorts of scented herbs grew among the jonquils, tulips and daffodils. The fruit-bearing trees and vines were heavy with flowers, but they also had leaves and the rudiments of both summer and fall fruit. As with the trees and the vines, the flowers of spring, summer and fall were all blooming at the same time within the beds. A slight breeze blew across the garden, stirring the aromas. The fragrance was unique. On earth we do not experience the three growing seasons together. I was reminded of Aaron's staff, that sprouted, blossomed and bore fruit at the same time. (Rountree, The Priestly Bride, P.19-20)

Eating In Heaven

The man gave me a large fruit to eat that looked something like an apple, and it was very delicious... Eating in Heaven is something people seem to have a problem with believing. Yet the apostle John wrote about the marriage supper of the Lamb (Revelation 19:19). Also, John wrote of seeing the Tree of Life, which has twelve kinds of fruit that it yields every month (Revelation 22:2). (Lairdon, I Saw Heaven, P.30-31)

As the above states, the word of God itself states that there will be fruit trees in Heaven. Why would there be fruit if it were not intended by God to be eaten? Other accounts give greater detail on what the food in Heaven will be like, and how delightful it will be, just as "milk and honey" were among the greatest delights known to the ancient world.

(Continued next post)

hawkman, Br4nd0n, myangelsb4u, RandyK

The fruit-laden branches of the trees hung within easy reach of the terrace, and I noticed as I stood there that morning seven varieties. One kind resembled our fine Bartlett pair, only much larger and infinitely more delicious to the taste, as I soon found out. Another variety was in clusters, the fruit also pair-shaped, but smaller than the former and of a consistency and flavor similar to the finest frozen cream. A third, something like a banana in shape, they called "bread-fruit." It was not unlike our dainty finger-rolls to the taste... food for the elegant repast was here provided without labor or care. My brother gathered some of the different varieties and bade me try them... The rich juice from the pearl-like fruit ran out profusely over my hands and the front of my dress. "Oh!" I cried, "I have ruined my dress, I fear!" My brother laughed genially, as he said, "Show me the stains." To my amazement, not a spot could I find. (Springer, My Dream Of Heaven, P.27-28)

Frank and Rebeca then traversed a marble terrace, and a staircase that wound down to the lawn. Tree branches filled with ripe fruit hung close to the terrace. Some of the fruits seemed to resemble those on earth, only with a far superior consistency and flavor. Although she bit into a fruit similar to a pear and its juice ran off her hands and down her dress, there were no stains left on her clothing and her hands were as clean as if she had washed them. Frank explained that no impurity could remain in Heaven's environment. Rebecca realized that this was the explanation for why no [dead] fruit lay under the trees. (Lairdon, We Saw Heaven, P.104)

Entertainment In Heaven

Unlike on earth, where "partying" sometimes takes on negative connotations, there are constant get togethers in Heaven, as if everyone were one big extended family. As a result, celebrations of various groups and for various reasons are enjoyed on a continual basis, as if family get togethers have become an eternal way of life. As one account puts it:

As I was passing by one street corner - whether I was walking or floating, I do not know, for an angel was holding me by the arm - I wanted to stop and see a specific mansion that belonged to another missionary. We stopped for a moment. It appeared to be made of solid gold, but there was wood also. There were hundreds of people in this mansion. They were all people whom this missionary had led to the Lord. He had been a part of their families' lives. Now, they were still part of his big family, and they were really joyous. (Sigmund, My Time In Heaven, P.38-39)

Glorious worship services play a huge role in the lifestyle of those who inhabit Heaven. Great preaching services also turn into worship, just as sometimes takes place in great church services on earth, only in Heaven the worship is much more glorious. Thousands dancing unto the Lord in unison sometimes becomes a form of heavenly worship as well:

Soon I saw a huge building resembling a convention center here on earth. Thousands of people were going into it... You would have thought we were at a family reunion where people had not seen one another in years. They were hugging and kissing each other, and saying, "How are you? Glory to God!" They seemed to be permeated with an attitude of love... As soon as we were seated, a holy hush swept over the entire auditorium. You literally could have heard a pin drop. From the right of the stage, 500 to 600 praisers walked out. These were people, not angels. They were dressed similarly to a church choir on earth. They wore robes, and everything about them was absolute perfection. These saints were smiling as they walked out on stage. All of a sudden they began to praise God and lost all resemblance of a formal choir. Their hands went up, their voices lifted in praise songs, and they began to dance. The audience joined in, not ashamed to praise God either. Everyone lifted their hands, praised God, and jumped up and down. The service seemed to last about two hours. No one led, but everyone moved in unison. In spite of the singing and dancing, everything was done in perfect order - everything. There was never a dead space of silence. The praise never died down, but grew in power and momentum. When I looked over at Jesus, He was smiling widely, and obviously enjoying the service. (Lairdon, I Saw Heaven, P.35-36)

Not long after, my brother said, "We will go to the grand auditorium this morning. It will be a rare day even here. Martin Luther is to talk on 'The Reformation: Its Causes And Effects,' and this will be supplemented by a talk from John Wesley. There may also be other speakers." The mighty dome was supported by massive columns of alternate amethyst and jasper. There were no walls to the vast edifice; only the great dome and supporting columns. A broad platform of precious marbles, inlaid with porphyry, arose from the center, from which the seats ascended on three sides, forming an immense amphitheater. The seats were of cedar wood highly polished, and at the back of the platform were heavy hangings of royal purple. An altar of solid pearl stood near the center of the platform. [Luther's] discourse itself would fill a volume... When he at length retired, John Wesley took his place... His theme was "God's Love," and if in the earth life he dwelt upon it with power, he now swept our souls with the fire of his exultation until we were as wax in his hands. He showed us what love had done for us, and how an eternity of thanksgiving and praise could never repay it. Silence, save for the faint, sweet melody of the unseen choir, rested upon the vast audience for some time after he left. All seemed lost in contemplation... Then the heavy curtains in back of the platform parted, and a tall form, about whom all the glory of Heaven seemed to center, emerged and advanced towards the middle of the platform. Instantly the vast concourse of souls arose to their feet and burst forth as with one voice... "All hail the power of Jesus' name. Let angels prostrate fall. Bring forth the royal diadem, and crown Him Lord of all." Such a grand chorus of voices, such unity, such harmony, such volume, was never heard on earth. It rose, it swelled, it seemed to fill not only the auditorium but Heaven itself... A flood of glory seemed to fill the place, and looking upward we beheld the great dome ablaze with golden light... He was the center of all light, and a divine radiance surrounded Him that was beyond compare. (Springer, My Dream Of Heaven, P.81-84)

When Jesus appeared on the "sea of glass," a great shout went up. Those singing burst into spontaneous rejoicing at the sight of Him. We had entered the Third Heaven at what seemed to be the back of the Throne Room. The redeemed began to dance as one - sidestepping in a swift, gliding movement, as dancers on earth might in an old-fashioned courante. The movements were rigorous and joyful. Those passing near us would reach out a hand to touch Jesus; He reached out to touch hand after hand of those passing by in the dance. All were laughing. I was certain the dance was spontaneous. The redeemed were dancing by the power of the Holy Spirit, thousands upon thousands led by the Spirit Himself... The thousands of dancers gathered into circles, each circle containing about twenty-four dancers. They began circling and weaving in and out within the rings. Some were laughing, but everywhere there was rejoicing. They began to sing as they danced. "Again and again we sing of His glory. Again and again rejoice in our God." All were executing the same movements, twirling and whirling within the circles, and singing the same song everywhere on the sea of glass. (Rountree, The Heavens Opened, P.77-79)

These are just a few excerpts from various heavenly accounts that have made it into print, but they are enough to demonstrate it will be a truly wonderful place for those who spend eternity there by the grace of Almighty God.

Questions And Applications

1. If the Exodus was a prophetic foreshadowing of our journey to the "promised land" in Heaven, the Israelites had to face almost war and opposition in order to get there and so will we. How important do you think such hopes were to the Israelites, and how important do you think they will be to the end-time church? And why?

2. What would you say to someone who said that believing God for physical comforts like owning beautiful mansions and gardens, or enjoying pleasures like eating delicious foods in Heaven would be "too materialistic"? Would you share visions like this with them to encourage them that it might be true?

3. If they said you were being too "self-serving" for desiring such rewards, what would your response be? Note: Any response that is heart-felt and honest would be acceptable here.

2. What would you say to someone who said that believing God for physical comforts like owning beautiful mansions and gardens, or enjoying pleasures like eating delicious foods in Heaven would be "too materialistic"?
I would quote them this verse of scripture that indicates it is beyond their wildest dreams what awaits us :dancing as Christians .

9But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

I would quote them this verse of scripture that indicates it is beyond their wildest dreams what awaits us :dancing as Christians .

9But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Yes indeed!

I think my answer to that question would be as follows:
2. What would you say to someone who said that believing God for physical comforts like owning beautiful mansions and gardens, or enjoying pleasures like eating delicious foods in Heaven would be "too materialistic"? Would you share visions like this with them to encourage them that it might be true?

I think it is a trick of the enemy to make us think that the rewards of God are like some fairy tale - nothing but clouds in the sky and fliting about with harps - when meanwhile he promises his servants actual pleasures and comforts in the here and now. Everything Satan grants is because it was created by God, so they are being completely deceived. But we aid in that deception by letting people think that the God of Heaven and earth does not have any real and tangible pleasures awaiting us in the next life for serving Him.

True. As a child I actually told my Mother, I don't really want to go to Heaven only to play a harp! I want to do something like play baseball! Real story.

I was raised in an environment where we learned that church, though boring, represented Eternal Life and a place to be desired. I had learned of the New Jerusalem from my Mother reading Revelation to me, but somehow I had also been confused about going to a boring place, playing a harp.

I really wanted to "go to Heaven," but I wanted it to be fun. I wanted to live forever where it was fun to live--not just like in the lukewarm church I was raised up in, where I *had to attend* to prove my loyalty to God.

I think the problem was that the church I attended from childhood had indeed been very dry and boring, with the sermons more of a "speech" than a "message." I knew I was in "God's house," but that house didn't really represent what Jesus is really like. I've learned very different since I committed myself fully to the Lord and began a new fellowship with fully committed brothers and sisters.

I must say that I've missed some of the Bible Study for a week now because I haven't yet learned how to navigate on this particular Forum. I was looking at my email and only getting a small part of the conversation. Somewhere along the line, in cleaning up my computer, I may have turned off Notifications. Regardless, I seem best able to see the whole thing by going to Forums, to Pentecostalism, and then to Bible Studies. Is that how everybody else is able to see everything?
Randy

Somewhere along the line, in cleaning up my computer, I may have turned off Notifications.

No, the site underwent some modifications a few weeks ago, and I haven't been receiving any notifications since then either. We may need to contact somebody, but it's probably not on your end. :thumb
Regardless, I seem best able to see the whole thing by going to Forums, to Pentecostalism, and then to Bible Studies. Is that how everybody else is able to see everything?
Randy

Yeah. That's what I do to see if there's activity. But I can also notify the group in private a little better. I was so busy last week that I kinda forgot to make sure everyone was aware. But no harm in going back and catching up when we have more time like this.

But no harm in going back and catching up when we have more time like this.

Speaking of which, let me answer the first one myself.
1. If the Exodus was a prophetic foreshadowing of our journey to the "promised land" in Heaven, the Israelites had to face almost war and opposition in order to get there and so will we. How important do you think such hopes were to the Israelites, and how important do you think they will be to the end-time church? And why?

I suppose some people could say "I just serve God because I love Him." That's a nice thing to say, and in some sense I'd be happy with just a small shack by a lake myself, it's just that it doesn't make any sense of the God I know now. He promised He would give us the desires of our hearts, and I've had to live in a city with some serious affluence in certain areas for over 20 years now. I wanna live in a NICE place when I go home, dog gone it! LoL.

Look at this. I used to drive by this every morning delivering papers, and I don't wanna be the paperboy in eternity.

5dbde4e792706f32f075364965bac8cd-cc_ft_1536.jpg

Springer, My Dream Of Heaven, P.27-28)

Lairdon, We Saw Heaven, P.104)

Sigmund, My Time In Heaven, P.38-39)

Lairdon, I Saw Heaven, P.35-36)

Springer, My Dream Of Heaven, P.81-84)

Rountree, The Heavens Opened, P.77-79)

These are just a few excerpts from various heavenly accounts that have made it into print, but they are enough to demonstrate it will be a truly wonderful place for those who spend eternity there by the grace of Almighty God.

Questions And Applications

3. If they said you were being too "self-serving" for desiring such rewards, what would your response be? Note: Any response that is heart-felt and honest would be acceptable here.
What a great treatment of the subject! Thank you so much! :)
1) I'm sure the Exodus account was intended to be both a model for other nations and a picture of what Christians must go through to "attain to full stature." If we look at it as a picture of a means of getting to our inheritance in Paradise it would indeed look like tests to our faith that separate us from those who love this world more than they love God.

To attain to "full stature," we must learn that being used by God requires that we prove willing to be guided by God's word to our hearts. I should think some of this testing is individually-crafted and some in common with all others? And some of it results from our predecessors, determining how we add to or fix what has preceded us?

2) I would say that the Creator, in calling us to who He is as a powerful and benevolent Being, would only give good things and enjoyable things to those who love Him and who He loves.

3) I would say that it is not self-serving to enjoy anything the Creator wants us to enjoy, to appreciate who He is as a benevolent Being, and to participate in the plans He has devised. It is honoring to Him to engage in the material pleasures of a perfect world He has created for us and for Him to enjoy observing and participating in it Himself.

In the Early Church there was a heretic named Cerinthus who boasted understanding of a Millennial Age of material delights. But he was inaccurate in his theology, and seemed perverted in his materialistic depictions.

This cause Christians later on to turn against any notion of a material world in the Millennium, and they proceeded to become Amillennialists, who did not wish to express a world as such at all.

I would point out that worldly people, in describing God's world, are tainted by their own lusts. We should not take our understanding of the world from those who are not liberated from their own independent views of God's world, still trapped in their own lusts.

We would do well to look at God as He was expressed in Genesis, creating a world with beauty, enjoyment, and fulfillment, as well as with regular fellowship between God and Man.

There was purpose, an end-game, and Eternal Life. I could go on, but this is enough for now. I must say, though, that the descriptions of Heaven provided above made me think of all the things I love on this present earth, though seemingly enhanced by a 100 or a 1000!

Very similar to what I love, though, including views, gardens, fruit, rivers, gatherings, etc. My own place is very humble in comparison, although it has elements of all these things. I don't fish much, if at all, but you can see my little garden pond in the picture. :)

Last edited:
Back