Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Charismatic Bible Studies - 1 Peter 1:6-9

Hidden In Him

Charismatic
Staff member
Enduring The Refining Process, Through Supernatural Empowerment

Gold-Refinery-e1608194643279-1.jpg

Scripture teaches that Satan sometimes desires to sift believers like wheat, by subjecting us to all sorts of tests and trials. As was the case with Job, we can suffer financial set backs, physical illness, rejection, betrayal, and if allowed to by God, even the loss of loved ones. The New Testament church had to endure persecution, and it wasn't happening by accident. Evil spirits were inciting men to silence the testimony of the church, through violence when necessary. But such attacks prove the extent of our faith when we stand our ground and refuse to deny the Lord Jesus Christ, even in the face of potential martyrdom. Jesus once told Peter that Satan desired to sift him like wheat as well, and this was the subject matter Peter now began to address in his letter:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has given us birth again unto a living hope... In which you rejoice, if for a little while it is necessary at present, having been put to grief amid various trials, that the proving of your faith, much more precious than the gold which perishes and being proven out by fire, might be found unto praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom not having seen you love, upon whom not now beholding you believe, yet rejoice with inexpressible joy .... receiving the end of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:6-9)

The hardships believers have to endure are part of the refining process, a work the Lord allows for a purpose; to reveal just how deep our faith in Christ truly is, and then purify it even more, bringing us to the place where we trust Him with more of ourselves, and be worthy of even greater reward in eternity.

In the Parable of the Sower, however, Jesus talked about those who failed to endure this process but instead fell away during the times of persecution, not being able to withstand what He called "the heat of the day."

And He said to them… "The sower sows the word. And these are the seeds where the word is being sown by the pathway, and when they hear, immediately Satan comes and takes away the word having been sown into them. And these in like manner are the seeds being sown upon the rocky ground, who, when they hear the word, immediately receive it with joy, yet have no root in themselves but are temporary. Then, with affliction and persecution having arisen because of the word, immediately they are scandalized." (Mark 4:14-17)

Believers were scandalized (σκανδαλίζονται in the Greek) when they rejected Christ under "criminal" interrogation rather than face potentially being beaten or scourged, and some unfortunately were weakening and succumbing to the pressure and threats of the enemy. But what enables some believers to endure this refining process when others cannot? A close look at scripture reveals that those who survived great tests and trials bore one thing in common: Their faith in Christ was immense, despite what they were experiencing. The apostle Paul was clearly no exception, as he reminded the Corinthians in both his letters to them:

24 From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; 26 in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 27 in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness— 28 besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches. (2 Corinthians 11:24-28)

11 To the present hour we both hunger and thirst, and we are poorly clothed, and beaten, and homeless. 12 ... Being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we endure; 13 being defamed, we entreat. We have been made as the filth of the world, the offscouring of all things until now. (1 Corinthians 4:11-13)

So the question becomes, what strengthens our faith to be able to endure tests, trials and sufferings? Certainly Satan has not stopped attacking the faithful, and still has every intention of destroying our faith and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ if he can.

The Empowerment Of The Word

Paul taught that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word, and as Jesus likewise taught in the Parable of the Sower, it is the extent to which the word becomes deeply rooted within us that determines whether we can endure "the heat of the day" or not. Those within whom the word dwells richly can face opposition, whereas those in whom it does not cannot.

Jesus also taught that His words were "Spirit and Life," and Paul described the scriptures as being "God-breathed," which means that the word is supernatural, for it breathes the very Life of God into us to empower us unto all things, including enduring Satan's attacks. What some need to understand, however, is that this promise of the word breathing Life into us applies both to the written word and the prophetic word, as the following passage suggests:

12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own, but whatever He hears He will speak, and He will tell you things to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it unto you." (John 16:12-14)

As Jesus said here, the Spirit would tell them of things to come, which is a reference to prophetic insight that would be coming through the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Some say this is no longer available to us today, but that is a false teaching. He is constantly revealing what is coming in the lives of His people when they are open to receiving it, whether it be through dreams, visions, prophecy or any other means of divine utterance. Even the prophecy given by Agabus to the apostle Paul brought life, for it supernaturally warned him of things to come so he would know prophetically what is coming in advance, and his faith in the power of God would be strengthened:

8 On the next day we who were Paul’s companions departed and came to Caesarea, and entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him. 9 Now this man had four virgin daughters who prophesied. 10 And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11 When he had come to us, he took Paul’s belt, bound his own hands and feet, and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’” (Acts 21:8-11)

The Empowerment Of Prophecy

Not only does the word of God itself strengthen our faith, but so do the supernatural gifts. Scripture teaches that signs and wonders are sent to confirm the word, which then bolsters and reinforces our faith in it all the more. Seeing God confirm His word through things like fulfilled prophecy, words of knowledge or other supernatural means causes us to be reminded all over again that He is real, that He knows the beginning and the end, and that His word is sure, and not merely the word of mere mortal men.

I wrote a piece on this recently. Having Him speak to us prophetically or speak supernaturally on our behalf through others greatly strengthens our faith. It has a way of letting us know yet again that the Lord is there, ahead of any situations that may be coming, and is guiding our steps so that we are prepared well in advance. The following is what I wrote concerning the ability to receive images in sleep which accurately predict events that will happen the next day:

I have grown accustomed to receiving prophetic insight on each coming day through the images God gives me during sleep. He also does so through dreams, but in this case these are usually just brief images upon the mind, yet it is uncanny how accurate they are and how consistently they will be fulfilled. Many times I know exactly what they mean, yet other times it will be a mystery. But sure enough, by the end of the day I know exactly what the images were referring to, and they are the Lord's way of letting me know in advance that He orders my steps and knows the beginning from the end even when I don't. Many times they are an encouragement that pleasant things are coming, or that things are better than they will appear. Even if they are warnings, He is showing me in advance that everything is in His control.

There are also full-blown dreams (given to either myself or friends) that forewarn of dangers or the promise of good things, and together I liken it to the life of an eagle. I once read a heavenly vision in which the eagle was a prophetic symbol, the reason being that the eagle can see for many miles. They know when storms are coming, and they can fly above it, away from danger. I believe this is one of the reasons why believers are sometimes compared to them in scripture. Those who put their hopes in Him operate on a different level from the world, and thus have no fear of coming things. Unless the Lord calls them to specifically go through a storm, they soar above it all, knowing the Lord is watching out over them at all times.

As Paul also taught, the ability to experience the outpouring or move in the gifts of the Spirit provide supernatural assurances that we were serving the True and Living God, not just a figment of our imagination, or some lifeless idol made of stone.

5 Our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit, and in much assurance, even as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sakes.. and you turned to God from idols to serve the True and Living God, 10 and to wait for His Son from Heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come. (1 Thessalonians 1:5, 9-10)

Thus, supernatural confirmations are an important part of the Christian walk and should be preserved and sought after (1 Corinthians 12:29, 14:1), for they all the more empower us to endure the refining process that Satan will sometimes put us through, should it be allowed by God to take place.

Questions & Applications

1. Describe ways in which the written word has strengthened you in enduring the refining process in your life, and the refining of your faith.

2. If possible, name some supernatural things that have happened to you, and how they have come back to your memory during times of testings and trials.

3. Do you think you could endure the refining of your faith to the extent that the apostle Paul had to, or like many of the New Testament saints did, or even like Job? (Note: This is a question to help you see where your faith is at present in comparison with the great characters of the Bible).

Thread referenced in this study:

Questions & Applications

1. Describe ways in which the written word has strengthened you in enduring the refining process in your life, and the refining of your faith.

2. If possible, name some supernatural things that have happened to you, and how they have come back to your memory during times of testings and trials.

3. Do you think you could endure the refining of your faith to the extent that the apostle Paul had to, or like many of the New Testament saints did, or even like Job? (Note: This is a question to help you see where your faith is at present in comparison with the great characters of the Bible).

Thread referenced in this study:
A great message and good questions! I have known the intense darkness of testing, and it did stretch on beyond what I thought I could bear.

Can God sustain us? I wouldn't compare myself to Paul, or to any of the apostles and saints who have suffered. But I do believe God will grant grace for each of us to endure what He has called us to.

Many years ago I endured an awful trial, and I wondered why there were no answers to my prayers. I wondered if I was helplessly lost in my own sin and utterly unable to get free from the stain of it?

Then I had a dream at night in which Jesus informed me that I was God's child--I belonged to him. I woke up with the dream/vision fresh in my mind. In fact the transition from dream to reality was nearly seamless.

I had been listening to a radio show by Walter Martin entitled "the Bible Answerman," and Martin had been discussing the assurance we can have of our Salvation. Suddenly, with this dream it clicked in my mind how many people I had known, in particular my blood family, had acted based on whether they were truly saved or not.

Some had been purely external Christians and some had been real Christians. I hadn't got along well with the phony Christians because I didn't realize that they were phonies. I had gotten along better with the real Christians because they were real.

From that time on to the present day I've been given a spiritual gift to know who has been genuinely saved, and who has not. I know more than this, but I won't share now. Regardless, this revelaiton liberated me from doubt about my Salvation in times of intense testing.

Then I had a dream at night in which Jesus informed me that I was God's child--I belonged to him. I woke up with the dream/vision fresh in my mind. In fact the transition from dream to reality was nearly seamless.

Man this is a wonderful answer. :thumb People think what He speaks in dreams isn't important, and it's such a terribly mistaken notion to believe. Through both the Old and New Testaments they were a common method the Lord used to speak to His people about exactly where they were in life and how to deal with their situations.

And I know what you mean about family. You start to get the feeling like there must be something wrong with you, until the Spirit of God reveals to you that the real problem is Him; that they don't like Him, and because He is in you, they aren't as wild about you anymore either. It doesn't mean we don't still love them in Christ and show them His Love (which is even greater than our own), but as the scripture says, you have to guard your heart. You can't let the Devil convince you you are worthless just because evil spirits have a problem with the God you now serve. Let that be their problem, and don't back down from faith in Him, or from remaining confident in Him that you are what God intended you to be, whether anyone accepts it yet or not.

I'll give my answers a little later on. Not even sure what they would be just yet, but I love discussing the word, and thanks for your response. :thumb

I'll give my answers a little later on.

So here are my first answer, and I hope this first one is an encouragement to someone who needs it, cuz scripture is not always the easiest to understand.

Early on after I got born again I used to walk about with this huge Heirloom KJV Bible that my father gave me that someone gave to him (he wasn't a believer, so it's like it was destiny that I would own this mammoth thing some day).

I learned a ton from that Bible, especially the gospels, and it was truly like the Lord was speaking directly to me. The Holy Spirit was revealing a ton of stuff to me, and I would just soak it in, having known nothing about the word before.

Well, as time went on I got heavier into the epistles and discovered places where it was like, "Ok, now what in the world is that talking about?" I would study even the most scholarly commentaries available in mass market, and there would still be disagreement as to the meaning even at the highest levels, so I began calling on Him in earnest during prayer to let me know for real what the accurate interpretation of a passage was. And after agonizing in prayer and even getting very forthright with God about insisting He show me, He honored it, and began opening things up because I flat refused to let Him go over it.

Well, once He began doing that, my faith shot up immediately, because in some cases He started showing me stuff that NONE of the commentators I read had seen - stuff that made perfect sense of the Greek, but made a lot more sense theologically than what I was reading. So when I entered into very tough times and even continued to struggle with latent sins I had never gotten delivered from, I KNEW He loved me, because He kept His promises in James 1 to give wisdom to those who asked Him for it without bringing any reproach against them. So when trials came along, and even failures, I never let go of the fact that He loved me. He wanted me to correct them, but I knew from the things He was revealing to me that He was operating in forgiveness towards me, especially after I experienced the baptism in the Holy Spirit.

I'll answer the second one later, as it is somewhat along the same vein.

Blessings,
Hidden

Last edited:
I want to thank Hidden in Him for inviting me to This Bible study. I think it's only fair to let everyone know, that I am not a Pentecostal or a charismatic, I am simply a non denominational Christian, but I do believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit have continued to this day, and the manifestation of these gifts still do happen today.
The first time that I saw it refine my life and helped me endure was the day where I tried to take my life and I cried out to God to see if he truly was there, and the only thing I knew to do was to go to the Bible and find it there. The Lord led me to Isaiah 41:10, and I always keep that verse in the back of my mind and I try to remember that during the most depressing, and most stressful times.

Hidden in Him said:
I don't know if I can label it as "supernatural"... the day, the night that my wife and I were kicked out of her parents' house because we were Christians, and the support from one of her friends and a stranger when we were living in our car in the midst of the winter, I guess one could consider that supernatural, because at one point I did get really sick, I had the flu, and if it had not been for my wife, I wouldn't be here today.

Hidden in Him said:
Time and time again, I have always told God that I am not Job, or Matthew, or James, or Peter, or Jude, or any of the Old Testament prophets, or one of the Apostles, because in compared to them come I am nothing... I am just me. And when I go before the Lord and ask for help, I don't try to make grandiose appeals or say to Him "you did this for Job, and You did this for Peter, and You did this for Matthew, please do the same for me" because, on a personal level, I don't feel worthy enough To be helped in the same way they are hoped... yes, they were human, yes, they had their own faults and failures and weaknesses, but they were able to walk, and talk, and see, and be embraced by Jesus physically... that's something I will never be able to do in this life... All I can do is just ask the Lord for His guidance and His help in the trial that I'm currently facing.

Now, and asking me if I could endure something to that something as Paul or Job went through... as I mentioned above, my wife and I were made homeless because of our faith, I came very close to death because of that, I have lost my job in the past because of my faith, I had lost every single friend that I had because of my faith, I was shunned and disowned by my family... and yet come I still don't think I suffered anywhere near the same amount that job did in his lifetime... and I can certainly still say, I don't have the level of faith that he did

The things I've said in my depression, and grief, and suffering, the blasphemy and the hateful things that I've said to God, I will forever be ashamed of... since December 27th, 2023, it has been the most difficult part of my life, because I suffered a stroke, I came close to dying again, and it took me quite a while to learn how to walk again, to learn how to use my right hand and right arm again, I'm still learning how to write with my right hand again... dot a very difficult challenge for me. It's hard enough for me to even talk about this on here, because part of me doesn't even feel worthy to be amongst you guys... So please, bear with me, i'm not trying to sound overly dramatic, or suspenseful... i'm just being real with all of you.

I want to thank Hidden in Him for inviting me to This Bible study. I think it's only fair to let everyone know, that I am not a Pentecostal or a charismatic, I am simply a non denominational Christian, but I do believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit have continued to this day, and the manifestation of these gifts still do happen today.

Quite alright SuperKal, and I appreciate you being upfront. The rules regarding that are generally at the prerogative of the overseers, so as long as we don't view you as hostile, you are welcome to post here as often as you want.
The first time that I saw it refine my life and helped me endure was the day where I tried to take my life and I cried out to God to see if he truly was there, and the only thing I knew to do was to go to the Bible and find it there. The Lord led me to Isaiah 41:10, and I always keep that verse in the back of my mind and I try to remember that during the most depressing, and most stressful times.

Glory to God. I remember you telling me about that earlier. I refer to it as the old "hunt and peck," but there have been a number of people touched powerfully by that means. The practice isn't explicitly condoned in scripture, but the principle is similar to things like the use of Umin and Thumim, or the drawing of straws. You ask the Lord to control your bodily movements, and lead you to what you need to hear. I think I wrote a piece once that touched on it not being the primary means He likes to use, because if we are open to it and can seek Him for interpretation, He is much less limited when it comes to things like giving us dreams. But we all start somewhere, and praise the Lord Jesus Christ that He saved your life. I almost took mine as well when I was young, and to think back now and see how tragic that would have been to have denied Him the right to use me to touch the lives of others. How awful that would have been.
I don't know if I can label it as "supernatural"... the day, the night that my wife and I were kicked out of her parents' house because we were Christians, and the support from one of her friends and a stranger when we were living in our car in the midst of the winter, I guess one could consider that supernatural, because at one point I did get really sick, I had the flu, and if it had not been for my wife, I wouldn't be here today.

Certainly. God is there in ways we may think are less "spectacular," but the proof is in truly helping a person through the power of God. Kinda like what Paul said, if we can move mountains yet not walk in love, our gifts will mean nothing.
It's hard enough for me to even talk about this on here, because part of me doesn't even feel worthy to be amongst you guys... So please, bear with me, i'm not trying to sound overly dramatic, or suspenseful... i'm just being real with all of you.

Oh heavens... see, this is the part here that just makes me want to encourage you that it's not what you think. Everybody seems to have it together on the outside, but the question is, do they actually, and the answer is usually no. Look at how many of the most famous characters in the Bible had some serious problems and committed some very serious sins. The only real difference between them and anyone in the world is that they turned to God in spite of their sins, whereas those in the world refused to acknowledge they were doing anything wrong.

You can expect me to be real as well. If I weren't real about my weaknesses (though I may not say everything in public), I would not be real about the things I do right in Him, and I would have no real testimony. :)

24 From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; 26 in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 27 in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness— 28 besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches. (2 Corinthians 11:24-28)
So...as gnarly as all of this is...verse 28 is the absolute heaviest. You know what i mean??? Id be asking someone for a hug before verse 28. Absolutely incredible how God shaped Pauls heart.
I dont really know that ive been refined. I know that ive been hurt. And i know that Gods Word has comforted me as ive been in pain. I wish i had an analogy for how the Living Word gives to us certain things when we need them, and they are precious gifts. But thats how it works i think :)
2. If possible, name some supernatural things that have happened to you, and how they have come back to your memory during times of testings and trials
I cant bridge the two sides of this question from the circumstances of my life. Ive had supernatural things happen. And ive been tested, but i cant tell you where theyve coalesced in the fashion that you are stating 😖
No i pretty much answered with my first statement. I would want a hug 😆 but i know God could help me endure it.

Thank you all for letting me read your responses, theyve all truly been gifts and theyve moved me
The things I've said in my depression, and grief, and suffering, the blasphemy and the hateful things that I've said to God, I will forever be ashamed of...
No, not forever. Youve been washed. Youve been cleansed. Jesus has chosen to forget. And perhaps you should to 💙

Here is the other side of looking forward to the "mansion" on the "other side." How to get there? How to manage getting thru the Wilderness? How bad can it be? Is it all a Test? Or, is it a series of bumbling mistakes I've made that lead to one disaster after another, or even to random tragedies that befall us over time.

Shame can lead to a kind of psychological self-mutilation, or it can be a reasonable form of self-correction. When we've suffered we retreat to more happy circumstances. In correcting ourselves we move closer to God, and in doing so perhaps we understand the Why's better?

If I really want to be accepted by the Judge of heaven, I might view all of my "horrible" sins as perhaps sunk into the earth like the Grand Canyon, placing everything I've ever done wrong out of sight and utterly forgotten in favor of the vast expanse of earth that God made out of love for us.

Every tree and beautiful plant He made just for us, and even for me! Every sweet-tasting food He made just for you and me. All the pleasures of the human senses He made just so you could enjoy what elicits their pleasures.

How can a God like this not forgive our sin? All He seems to ask is for love in return.... These are the kinds of thoughts I resort to when I fall into depression which all of us inevitably do at one time or another.

The crucial question is: do we recognize the Maker's plan when we go through all of these things? I think we need to pray for wisdom.

But we should never lose sight of God's love, which is so clearly expressed in the creation, which He produced out of love both for Himself and for us. Surely something wonderful awaits those who persevere?

So...as gnarly as all of this is...verse 28 is the absolute heaviest. You know what i mean??? Id be asking someone for a hug before verse 28. Absolutely incredible how God shaped Pauls heart.

YES, I know what you mean, LoL. The really tough part about love is having to let people go, and sometimes no matter what you do or how hard you try you end up losing them anyway. There are those who teach that no one can fall away from God, but passages like this one make absolutely no sense in this context. Why would an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ be suffering anxiety over all the churches if everything was assured anyway? It's a silly theology. The truth is that sometimes Satan snatches people away, despite us doing everything we can, so ultimately after you have done everything you just have to leave people in hands of God and remember that they have a freewill and can still chose to do whatever they want, even if it's to their own harm.
I cant bridge the two sides of this question from the circumstances of my life. Ive had supernatural things happen. And ive been tested, but i cant tell you where theyve coalesced in the fashion that you are stating 😖

Well, maybe they will. Sometimes we have gifts that we don't know we have, and eventually we see them manifest in increasingly powerful ways. When that happens you start to fall back on them more during tougher times.
No i pretty much answered with my first statement. I would want a hug 😆

Hugs are good LoL.

The crucial question is: do we recognize the Maker's plan when we go through all of these things? I think we need to pray for wisdom.

Yes, well from my perspective the crucible He puts us through can be rough at times. It's another thing some don't wish to acknowledge. But the refining fire can be just as torturous and painful as it sounds. Some people think I'm exaggerating but I just healed from a sprained ankle that was so bad I could hardly move. I was screaming around the house constantly, every time it touched anything, and yet emotional pain affects me much worse than that. I would take extreme physical pain over extreme emotional pain any day of the week, and the latter is unfortunately what I've had to endure a lot of over the last several years as a Christian, especially the last seven or so. But YES, you have to trust in the plan. The refining fire is to purify our faith to the place where we finally just surrender all of it to Him and say, "Fine. You can have it. If I have to hurt from this, so be it. I trust You with my life." It's not easy and it's not fun, but the account of Job was given for a reason. Even if we should lose it ALL in this life, we will have it all returned to us and more in eternity.

Yes, well from my perspective the crucible He puts us through can be rough at times. It's another thing some don't wish to acknowledge. But the refining fire can be just as torturous and painful as it sounds. Some people think I'm exaggerating but I just healed from a sprained ankle that was so bad I could hardly move. I was screaming constantly, every time it touched anything, and yet emotional pain affects me much worse than that. I would take extreme physical pain over extreme emotional pain, and the latter is unfortunately what I've had to endure through a lot of years as a Christian, especially the last seven or so. But YES, you have to trust in the plan. The refining fire is to purify our faith to the place where we finally just surrender all of it and say, "Fine. You can have it. If I have to hurt from this, so be it. I trust You with my life." It's not easy and it's not fun, but the account of Job was given for a reason. Even if we should lose it all in this life, we will have it return to us and more in eternity.
I'm not just being patronizing when I say that I can identify with you. God does allow those He loves and trusts go through some major trials. We simply have to "endure" to the end.

I love the honesty here. God is not concerned to prove Himself faithful because that's just who He is. We are the ones who question Him at times, or simply cry out in desperation. ...Just like Job.

3. Do you think you could endure the refining of your faith to the extent that the apostle Paul had to, or like many of the New Testament saints did, or even like Job?

This is going to sound awful, but I think I actually could possibly endure what they had to endure. It's a ton easier to say that of course then actually do it, but my faith in God is pretty strong, and I would not do as Job's wife did by just telling him to curse Him and die. A lot of people's personal theology these days seems to be bought into this idea that if anything is going wrong then "God doesn't love me." I never understood that mentality. the Bible clearly teaches that we have an enemy, and sometimes things going wrong is prove we are doing something RIGHT. The New Testament saints considered it an honor to suffer for Christ's sake, and yet today we consider it a sign He doesn't love us, and I've heard it so many times.

There are so many strange presumptions these days that bear nothing in common with what the Bible teaches, that I have to wonder if accurate teaching isn't the single biggest teaching in the body today.

This is going to sound awful, but I think I actually could possibly endure what they had to endure. It's a ton easier to say that of course then actually do it, but my faith in God is pretty strong, and I would not do as Job's wife did by just telling him to curse Him and die. A lot of people's personal theology these days seems to be bought into this idea that if anything is going wrong then "God doesn't love me." I never understood that mentality. the Bible clearly teaches that we have an enemy, and sometimes things going wrong is prove we are doing something RIGHT. The New Testament saints considered it an honor to suffer for Christ's sake, and yet today we consider it a sign He doesn't love us, and I've heard it so many times.

There are so many strange presumptions these days that bear nothing in common with what the Bible teaches, that I have to wonder if accurate teaching isn't the single biggest teaching in the body today.
It's quite noble to be able to claim your kind of loyalty. I've personally gone through so much that I can't even bear the thought of going through stuff like that again. I would like to feel like I came through things with 100% faithfulness, but I can't say that.

There's nothing I'm more interested in than the Kingdom of God. But getting there scares the stuffings out of me if it requires any more than I've already had to endure. May the Lord have mercy!

It's quite noble to be able to claim your kind of loyalty. I've personally gone through so much that I can't even bear the thought of going through stuff like that again. I would like to feel like I came through things with 100% faithfulness, but I can't say that.

There's nothing I'm more interested in than the Kingdom of God. But getting there scares the stuffings out of me if it requires any more than I've already had to endure. May the Lord have mercy!

Sorry, Randy. I didn't see this post. Well keep in mind that none of us absolutely know what we will do until we get there. Peter talked a big talk and said "Lord I will never deny you" and then we know what happened when the rooster finally crowed. But He helps us in our weaknesses, and Peter eventually got to the place where he was willing to die for his Lord, so it's really just a matter of continuing to grow closer to Him. The more we do, the more the strength of Christ begins to rise within us until we are eventually able to withstand anything, no matter who we are. :thumb

Sorry, Randy. I didn't see this post. Well keep in mind that none of us absolutely know what we will do until we get there. Peter talked a big talk and said "Lord I will never deny you" and then we know what happened when the rooster finally crowed. But He helps us in our weaknesses, and Peter eventually got to the place where he was willing to die for his Lord, so it's really just a matter of continuing to grow closer to Him. The more we do, the more the strength of Christ begins to rise within us until we are eventually able to withstand anything, no matter who we are. :thumb
Yes, I'm a "work in progress." Not proud of where I am...yet.

Back