Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christians and knowlege

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
G

cybershark has made a post to one of my thread and a reference to it in another, asking for a reply. I created this new thread as I don't think it has anything to do with either, I hope thats ok. His post is as follows, and I will reply below in a separate post.

CuriousAgnostic,

I have thus far noticed your sincerity in the inquiry of this topic. I have taken interest at that and would as a beliving Christian like to meet you in the middle with your sincerity and have some honest discussion with you.

First off you said this on the first page:

Quote:
Don't you agree knowledge is power? Why is it good not to know about the beliefs of others, or the state of the world?

Yes, infact God places a high value on knowledge, but ultimately the knowledge God is concerned about us having is knowledge of the truth as regarding Himself and His purpose for us. God said in Hoshea 4:6 - "My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I also reject you as my priests; because you have ignored the law of your God, I also will ignore your children."

God is quite passionate about proper relationships in the Bible. This is why love is emphasised and why the family terminology is used often throughout the Bible: Father, Brothers, Sons & Daughters. The Church is also metaphorically called the "Bride" of Christ and Jesus himself applied the term "Bridegroom" to himself. Knowledge of the person whom you are to be "married" to would be crucial to a future relationship of any magnitude in the future.

Many here on these boards may have complicated doctrines about the Word of God (the Bible), and indeed some things require more delving into as one matures in faith, however when it comes down to the basic Gospel message and purpose for live it is simple. Jesus desired to be reconcilled to us, where sin was the barrier which man had set up, so he provided atonement (a covering) for our sins by becoming a sacrifice for us (which he did out of love) so that all who renounce their sin and realize the freely offered payment for the naturally insurmountable debt of sin (spiritual death) will enter into a relationship with Him and He will bestow upon them eternal life to those who follow and belive in Him.

Jesus demonstrated this principle: "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends" (John 15:13). And the Christian relationship is to be filled with reciprocating love with Christ Jesus out of gratitude and desire to become more like Him through his freely offered grace (which helps us overcome our deficiencies). To that end the Christian life in devotion to Christ is simple, but since this world (and sometimes our own selves) loves to through complications in the way we must guard ourselves from deception of what it is really all about, thus why Paul said, "But I am afraid that, lest by any means, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ" (2 Corinthians 11:3).

And the Christian's life is not oriented towards the time we die, though we certainly live in light of eternity, but rather by God's grace we are told to love, and show hospitality, and goodness toward all people in the example of Christ in this present life to draw more people to Christ so that God may make for Himself a holy people who are pure and walking in life and love with one another and with Himself. We are supposed to live in rejoicing and in light of Jesus' charitable deed on our behalf by demonstrating his character now as we live to draw other people to salvation.

I hope this has given you a decent overview of my view of God's calling for Christians in this life.

God Bless,

~Josh

CB said:
I have thus far noticed your sincerity in the inquiry of this topic. I have taken interest at that and would as a beliving Christian like to meet you in the middle with your sincerity and have some honest discussion with you.

Thank you CB, it's always nice to have some good honest intellectual discourse with someone, especially with people who you don't nessicarily share the same views, or have as good an understanding on those views.

CB said:
Yes, infact God places a high value on knowledge, but ultimately the knowledge God is concerned about us having is knowledge of the truth as regarding Himself and His purpose for us.

This makes sense to me as an all encompassing doctrine for a Christian, but similarly, for any mono-theistic religion.

And there is the crux, at least for me. Everyones god is the right god, and everyone elses god is a false prophet or idol. So how is an agnostic to choose? Probably by not choosing at all, perhaps.

CB said:
The Church is also metaphorically called the "Bride" of Christ and Jesus himself applied the term "Bridegroom" to himself. Knowledge of the person whom you are to be "married" to would be crucial to a future relationship of any magnitude in the future.

To which church do you refer? There are many christian churches, catholic, anglican, the various flavours of prodestantism, the fringe churches like the jehova's witness and the mormons. Or are all lumped together in the word "church"? It seems in this case you get to "pick" your family, at least of course the church you "marry". So are all christians children of god, is it subjective to which church you belong to, and who gets to make the judgement? I'm not trying to be derogetory in any way, this question is just one of the things i'm curious about.

CB said:
Jesus desired to be reconcilled to us, where sin was the barrier which man had set up, so he provided atonement (a covering) for our sins by becoming a sacrifice for us (which he did out of love) so that all who renounce their sin and realize the freely offered payment for the naturally insurmountable debt of sin (spiritual death) will enter into a relationship with Him and He will bestow upon them eternal life to those who follow and belive in Him.

Is this then, the proper answer to the above question?

CB said:
And the Christian's life is not oriented towards the time we die, though we certainly live in light of eternity, but rather by God's grace we are told to love, and show hospitality, and goodness toward all people in the example of Christ in this present life to draw more people to Christ

Is this then the purpose of evangalism? Further to that, how does this relate to the actions of some christians in the past? I'm referring of course to the historic european christian practise of torture and killing of those who did not conform to their ideal of christianity, but of course, still loved christ, so they say. How does this relate to the love of jesus, and would these people be saved serving death and destruction in the name of a loving lord? How does this also relate to the crusades?

I hope you do not take offence to any of my questions above, none was intended. I certainly look forward to your response, and the responses of others.

And there is the crux, at least for me. Everyones god is the right god, and everyone elses god is a false prophet or idol. So how is an agnostic to choose? Probably by not choosing at all, perhaps.

Sure. And I for one, respect those that believe their god is the right god, and everyone elses is false, even if I know their god is false. They, like me, know that if something is right then the other things must be wrong. And I think that's important to realize.

If you're interested in choosing, I'd say go with whatever is most truthful. Of course, that takes affirming that "truth" exists in the first place. ;) But that part should be okay, it is a reasonable position. And if you're serious about choosing, you should pray to God about it.

I can tell you that Christianity is unique from all other religions in the fact that men do nothing to strive towards God, or betterment, or enlightment, or nirvana, or understanding. We acknowledge that we cannnot save ourselves, and believe that God loved us so much that He reached down to us, rather than us reaching up to Him. It's all about Him. We are not trying to earn our way to heaven. We just thankfully worship Him for the gift of salvation and for the relationship he has offered us. When you get down to it, you'll find Christianity is not really a religion at all, but a relationship with God, and a simple one to boot. Jesus did not just teach a way to follow, He IS the way.

And I'd say our purpose is simply to praise God and share God. Share the Good News that God has saved us. It's been done. We don't have to worry about following rituals or striving to be 'good' (although, being good is a natural response to hearing the Good News. The difference is that we are good not because we 'have' to be but because we 'want' to be.) God is our friend! He loves you! Isn't that good news?!!

Personally, I don't know what those people who tortured and killed others who did not confom to their ideal of christianity really believed. I suspect at the very least, they were not secure in their own faith. Most of that stuff has alot more to do with politics and power. Regardless, we are all sinners, except Jesus of course. I'd suggest finding Matthew 5:1-7:29 and reading through it, everything in chapters 5 through 7. Then you could see how all of that relates to the love of Jesus. I can give you a little hint from a parallel verse in Luke:

Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. Luke 6:27-28

Thank you CB, it's always nice to have some good honest intellectual discourse with someone, especially with people who you don't nessicarily share the same views, or have as good an understanding on those views.

No problem, I enjoy having honest conversations with other people, even if we do disagree. I appreciate your sincerity and openness to discuss this. I take it as a privilage to reply. Thanks. :)

This makes sense to me as an all encompassing doctrine for a Christian, but similarly, for any mono-theistic religion.

When it comes down to selecting between religions it really becomes highly subjective if you look at the value systems of each and say "Well now, which one should I pick?". I think the uniqueness and appeal of Christianity lies in the person of Jesus, being that he was a real person and that unlike other religions Jesus is presented as the way to salvation, thus Jesus becomes central. Other religions may have their own prophets or honored and revered teachers but none of them claimed that person to be the way and the revelation of God to man.

The only thing I could suggest to you at this point is that you look at how the Christian life is to be lived (and I hope that any Christians you know are a good representation of that) and notice the love, patience, joy, and hope in each one of them. The Bible tells us Christians that we must be a light to the world so that our actions shine louder than just mere words. Our actions should draw people outside closer to make them wonder and inquire "what is it that is different about you?" "Why do you act differently than most people?" The original disciples (the Apostles) of Jesus did something that I think speaks to the sincerity of their belief in what they had seen Jesus do while here on earth, which is recorded in Acts, and I think it is simply amazing because that type of behavior makes people look at you and say "What's gotten into them? Why would they be so joyful in such a horrible situation?" or "How can they still act that way in light of what they have been through?". I am refering to the following account in the book of Acts. Please take note to what was going on:

Acts Chapter 4

1The priests and the captain of the temple guard and the Sadducees came up to Peter and John while they were speaking to the people. 2They were greatly disturbed because the apostles were teaching the people and proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection of the dead. 3They seized Peter and John, and because it was evening, they put them in jail until the next day.
5The next day the rulers, elders and teachers of the law met in Jerusalem. 6Annas the high priest was there, and so were Caiaphas, John, Alexander and the other men of the high priest's family. 7They had Peter and John brought before them and began to question them: "By what power or what name did you do this?"

Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: "Rulers and elders of the people! 9If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a cripple and are asked how he was healed, 10then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11He is
" 'the stone you builders rejected,
which has become the capstone.' 12Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

13When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. 14But since they could see the man who had been healed standing there with them, there was nothing they could say. 15So they ordered them to withdraw from the Sanhedrin and then conferred together. 16"What are we going to do with these men?" they asked. "Everybody living in Jerusalem knows they have done an outstanding miracle, and we cannot deny it. 17But to stop this thing from spreading any further among the people, we must warn these men to speak no longer to anyone in this name."

18Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 19But Peter and John replied, "Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God. 20For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard."

Chapter 5

18They [again] arrested the apostles and put them in the public jail.

Having brought the apostles, they made them appear before the Sanhedrin to be questioned by the high priest. 28"We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name," he said. "Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man's blood."

29Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than men! 30The God of our fathers raised Jesus from the deadâ€â€whom you had killed by hanging him on a tree. 31God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might give repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel. 32We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."

33When they heard this, they were furious and wanted to put them to death. 34But a Pharisee named Gamaliel, a teacher of the law, who was honored by all the people, stood up in the Sanhedrin and ordered that the men be put outside for a little while.
His speech persuaded them. They called the apostles in and had them flogged. Then they ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.

41The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name [of Jesus]. 42Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ.

Sorry to give you such a long quote but I wanted to give you the background & context for the verse I highlighted in red. They had been ordered not to speak about Jesus again but they said that they could not help but speak of what they had seen and witnessed to be true, and this led them to the really amazing part: they were whipped 39 times and yet went away rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer for the truth (knowing that God would reward them for their faithfulness). This is truely one of those awe inspiring moments when you ask, "What is different about that person?" and the Apostles were 100% convicted about what they preached because they witnessed and walked with Jesus personally and saw that what he said was true.

This I think is the initial appeal for people to Christianity to see what it is all about and how people's lives are being radically changed. Once they come closer to investigate, if they have faith enough to belive in Jesus they will then experience the same life change that they see in other people. I hope this had made sense.

To which church do you refer? There are many christian churches, catholic, anglican, the various flavours of prodestantism, the fringe churches like the jehova's witness and the mormons. Or are all lumped together in the word "church"? It seems in this case you get to "pick" your family, at least of course the church you "marry". So are all christians children of god, is it subjective to which church you belong to, and who gets to make the judgement? I'm not trying to be derogetory in any way, this question is just one of the things i'm curious about.

Well, I don't say church in association with the "external church" (those who appear to be Christians). The word translated "Church" in the original Greek is ekklesia and litterally means "gathering" and does not refer to any particular building or denomination. It refers to the true, spirtual children and followers of God who are refered to as "brothers" and "sisters" in Christ (thus we are a family of sorts in God - the ekklesia or gathering of the family is called the Church). It is sometimes however difficult to discern the difference between the external "Church" and the true spiritually reborn and adopted children of God. I heard a Pastor say once that he does not wish to ever baptize (a symbol of inclusion among God's people spiritually) someone who is not sincere, but no one can judge the persons heart except the person being baptised so he said on occasion he may have (against his will - since if he knew the person was insincere he would not have baptized them) baptized someone who merely paid lip service but had really no change of heart to follow after Jesus. This is why it is a little dangerous to associate the "external" Church (meaning those who appear externally to be among God's people - and some who can only be recognized as Christians by their occasional "going to Church" - as sad as that is) with the true Church (people - ekklesia) of God.

I'm not trying to bash any certain denomination or Christian Churches in America or else where, I'm just saying that you must try to distinguish who is and who isn't truely a child of God if at all possible.

Is this then, the proper answer to the above question?

Yes, what I layed out there concerning the personal belief and following of Jesus reflects the actual condition of the person's heart and their sincerity in devotion to God. This means they truely believe in Jesus' message of salvation and walk accordingly, casting off sin and walking in holiness (purity - moral and spiritual) while demonstrating the love of Chirst to others and a personal love for God (which Jesus said were the two greatest commandments). Jesus said, "You will know them by their fruits" meaning a Christian should be identifiable by the good works they do and how they act (as the Apostles evidently did when they were whipped for preaching the truth about Jesus and then rejoiced about it).

Is this then the purpose of evangalism?

Yes, to draw people closer to Jesus and invite them to follow along with them in serving him. Many people may water down the gospel and make it seem so externally religious in its presentation, but I cannot emphasize to you enough of how personally it changes your life, casting off your sins and knowing that God not only forgives you (some "Churches" never even move past that and make the entire Christian life about repentance from sin - to that I say: rubbish! That is what makes so many churches today dead and no better than any other religious ritualistic belief system) but also that he also gives you power by His Spirit, which he places in you when you are saved, to improve and cleanse yourself, give you assurance and experience of eternal life, and to excel in all things in life for God's glory. This includes God's promise that he will supply us with all we will ever need so that we can be able to give to every good work (2 Corinthians 9:8). We don't have to worry about being hung out to dry when we give money to help others (for a good cause) and worry about if we are going to eat next week because God says in the process of loving other people (as manifested in giving and helping other people out in their rough times) that God will in turn take care of us in our time of need. The Christian experience is about living a vibrant and full life (John 10:10) through experiencing a relationship with God and being radically changed to the point of effecting even other people's lives around you.

Thus we shouldn't give giving [money] a second thought and live life to the fullest in loving, giving, and building relationships that bring joy and point toward & bring people closer to the God who gives us the ability to love with such abundance like that. Like the Bible says, " We love him, because he first loved us" (1 John 4:19). Love is very central in the Christian life, thus relationships become very important, both how we relate to and treat other people and where we are in our personal relationship with God: are we sinning against God or are we pleasing him with how we live our life. and God delights when we become a blessing to others and when we love God in such a way that we obey him and allow him to carry us through our trials toward our final hope that one day we will be with him in eternity.

Further to that, how does this relate to the actions of some christians in the past? I'm referring of course to the historic european christian practise of torture and killing of those who did not conform to their ideal of christianity, but of course, still loved christ, so they say. How does this relate to the love of jesus, and would these people be saved serving death and destruction in the name of a loving lord? How does this also relate to the crusades?

This is an entirely different situation. I highly emphasize the fact that the historical Catholic Church was exteremely corrupt, power hungry, and even heretical (by adding "mandatory" observation of sacraments to Christianity). I condemn all such things as the Crusades and the burning of righteous men who spoke against the Catholic Church at the stake. I bet the majority of the Catholic Church leadership was not even saved. An early Christian revolutionary (who helped spread Luther's Protestant reformation and who dared to break the Catholic Church's stupid and controlling law of not translating a Bible into any other language than Latin (so that only the clergy could read it and thus control what the people beleived) by translating the Bible for the first time publically in English) named William Tyndale even spoke against the corruption of the Catholic Church as vehemently as Martin Luther did and said in one of his works that he did not even know if the Pope was among those who were saved.

The Catholic Church was really not a Christian institution but a religious system for peddling political power and it completely corrupted the true message and Gospel of Jesus. This is why Martin Luther's Protestant reformation was so important: to break away from the Catholic Church's power, actually be able to read the Bible for one's self personally in your own language (as opposed to having it read to you - and even then only seldomly by a Bishop and selectively to serve his purposes), and return to the true heart of Christianity by serving Jesus in the way he should be served. The entire reason America grew so much early on is because it was stocked and lived in by the Pilgrims who were Protestant Puritans escaping the persecuation and control of both the Catholic and Anglican Churches, so that they could experience religious freedom to serve God in truth. When people began actually reading the Bible for themselves for the first time a reformation broke out. Reading Paul's writings alone (which many passages were avoided by the Catholic Church to avoid a reformation - which happened anyway thanks to Luther) made one instrumental and famous early Preacher (whose name escapes me at the moment) in the reformation exclaim with great self-conviction upon reading the book of Romans (which was seldom read in the chruch), "Either this is not the Bible or we are not Christians!" It was an amazing revelation and it was the spark and heart of the reformation when people learned what being a Christian was really about, since they had been kept in the dark by the Catholic Church throughout all the Dark (called "dark" for a reason) and Middle ages (over 1000 years). I hope this clarifies the historical situation and the personal passion that true Christians got a hold of once they realized what the Bible really said and how to serve Jesus.

I hope you do not take offence to any of my questions above, none was intended. I certainly look forward to your response, and the responses of others.

Not at all. I'm glad to discuss this. Sorry I made such a long post but I found it relevant to making the full emphasis of my point. I hope you can really grasp this, because if you do it can change your life!

God Bless,

~Joshua Nielsen

I'm sorry to have made that last post so long, but I do hope you read all of it. I eagerly await your reply.

God Bless,

~Joshua

CuriousAgnostic said:

First of all, no offence. The way anyone comes to the truth is by looking for it.

Soooo...everyone thinks there god is the right god. The thing to do there is not to take up with someone elses god. Reason it out for yourself. Everyones god contradicts everyone elses god. They can't all be true. They can't all be right.

My suggestion is going after the truth. The one true God. Start by searching your own heart and realizing that this is what you want. You don't want a carved idol. You don't want a man who offered profound philosophy. Start by narrowing down your beliefs.

Other than the God of the Bible, what other things are you wondering about. Evolution? Buddha? Work through them and discover why they can not be the truth.

Describe your God. He created the heavens and the earth? He created man? After the world fell into sin, He made a way back to him for anyone that wants to come back? Offers eternal life? Forgiveness? Protection? Healing? Answers for everyday stuff? Gives purpose and meaning to your life?

How do you find out for sure if God is God? Ask Him.

Suggested prayer:

Dear God,

These folks in this forum say that you created the Heavens and the earth. They say that you gave your Son, Jesus Christ, to pay for my sin, and that if someone asks Jesus Christ to be Lord of their life that He will reconcile lost sinners to You. I am not sure what to believe, but if You are the God of all creation, if you do know everything about me, if you do love me, and if it is true that Jesus Christ died on a cross to pay for my sin and then rose from the dead three days later, if all of that is true, then I want to believe it. If you are God, then you can take away all of the doubt. You can take away all of the confusion. And you can make me to understand everything that I need to understand so that I can have eternal life with you in heaven. You can make it clear to me what I need to say, to believe, and you can tell me anything else that I need to do to be right with you.
Thank you for your answers.
Oh, and the folks in the forum, they say that if I want to talk to you, I need to do it in the name of Jesus. So if everything else that they said is true, then I am going to do that too.

You got nothing to lose. Pray that. You know what? If there is no God, if He doesn't answer you, well then you are simply going to feel silly for talking to the ceiling. If you truly want to reach God, your prayer will go right through the ceiling and straight to heaven.

I am praying for you.

Hi Josh

thanks for taking the time to write me, sorry to take so long to get back to you.

I've read what you wrote and I really don't have a whole lot to add to it. You've answered a few questions and what I really appreciate is the detail to which you got into to making what christianity means personally to you.

I do have a couple of questions/comments though:

Cyber said:
When it comes down to selecting between religions it really becomes highly subjective if you look at the value systems of each and say "Well now, which one should I pick?".

Thats the crux for me. The more I search the more I am drifting away from any organized religion. Perhaps spirituality has a deeper meaning to me, I really don't know yet.

Cyber said:
I think the uniqueness and appeal of Christianity lies in the person of Jesus, being that he was a real person and that unlike other religions Jesus is presented as the way to salvation, thus Jesus becomes central. Other religions may have their own prophets or honored and revered teachers but none of them claimed that person to be the way and the revelation of God to man.

The problem I have with any organized religion is the premise of the absolute truthfulness of an ancient scripture. There may be something to be said for it, but I do not find any ancient text accurate or without fault. It's my feelings not to take anything without appropriate documentation or peer review at face value, especially a book with so many contradictions that asks for complete and total faith. Jesus may have been a real person, but I have a hard time believing he was completely and accurately depicted in that ancient documentary. You may feel that the lessons to be learned are good ones, and like to live a certain way, and that is your perogative. I may well be wrong, and that is the awesomeness of the life we live, its the choice to have your own opinion and your own ability to reason on everything. As far as a man, a son of god being the only way to redemtion, that you cannot improve yourself but to ask for forgivness for your complete sins... i can't perscribe to that. I feel that I can and am continually improving myself as I age, and I like that feeling. Its my effort and the gain of myself and others are due to my work, not for the death of somebody 2,000 years ago.

and I hope that any Christians you know are a good representation of that) and notice the love, patience, joy, and hope in each one of them.

Let's be frank here. People are people no matter where you go. I've known what I consider to be good or bad christians, muslims, sihks, jehova's, etc. etc. etc. I can't say that any particular faith is better than the other, and I WILL not look at it that way. I will like you for WHO you are, not what you believe happens when you die, and the same for my dislike of you.

You for example, the only way I know you is via a forum board. Yet i've come to believe that you are a good and sincere person. If you think thats because you're a good Christian, thats your perogative. I think thats because you're a good person and your religious preferences don't particularly come into play for me in that regard.

Josh said:
This I think is the initial appeal for people to Christianity to see what it is all about and how people's lives are being radically changed

If you feel your religion has made you change for the better, more power to you brother! Personally, I'm happy when other people are happy, and of course if making them happy doesn't involve causing pain to others. You're happy, and that makes me happy, savvy?

Josh said:
I'm not trying to bash any certain denomination or Christian Churches in America or else where, I'm just saying that you must try to distinguish who is and who isn't truely a child of God if at all possible.

If all christians are brothers, i'm still wondering why there NEEDS to be all these different "flavours" of christianity? Certainly the true children of god would have gotten together in one big happy congregation a long time ago? God would have made that happen? Or am I missing something?

Josh said:
some "Churches" never even move past that and make the entire Christian life about repentance from sin - to that I say: rubbish! That is what makes so many churches today dead and no better than any other religious ritualistic belief system

Amen to that brother. Don't live to die, live to live!!

Josh said:
I highly emphasize the fact that the historical Catholic Church was exteremely corrupt, power hungry, and even heretical (by adding "mandatory" observation of sacraments to Christianity). I condemn all such things as the Crusades and the burning of righteous men who spoke against the Catholic Church at the stake.

I would go so far to say that I think alot of the "current" catholic church stuff is run way to much like a corporation and gives way too much power to the allmighty dollar.

So much in fact that "some" protestant denominations have rather impressed me with their "no frills" type worship. I have to believe that is truer to a christians core beliefs than the Popes huge expensive hat!!

As i've said Josh, there isn't a lot in that reply that I can truly respond to, only to say that you seem to have your stuff together pretty good. That and you are very good at making your statements clear, concise, logically ordered and easy to understand.

As for the rest of my comments, looking forward to your reply.

Take care

Mike

CuriousAgnostic said:
...If all christians are brothers, i'm still wondering why there NEEDS to be all these different "flavours" of christianity?...

Hi Curious,

The Scriptures speak of how Christians are different parts of the same body. Each part of the body has a different function. When Paul wrote his letters, he was speaking to people who were a bit jealous because they believed that other Christians had a bit more going for them.

Let's use a business organization for an analogy.
There is a CEO, managers, engineers, office managers. People who are experts in manufacturing, some in repair, Some people are involved in building maintenance, and cleaning. Each part is needed, each job has a function.

Christianity is much the same way. We are all given different spiritual gifts, and used in very different ways. But like any business organization, for us to function properly, there needs to be teamwork. We are supposed to be working together with the same goals.

Thats the crux for me. The more I search the more I am drifting away from any organized religion. Perhaps spirituality has a deeper meaning to me, I really don't know yet.

You know, I'm almost glad you mentioned that because Christianity is more focused on a pure and simple spiritual relationship with Jesus through the Holy Spirit (who dwells in you once you have been saved) rather than in any strict sense of the word/title "organized religion." On another forum I endeavored to set the record straight by asking if Christianity could even be called a "religion", and even if it could (which by dictionary definition -not popular definition - we came to agree that it was) be called a religion it should be distinguished from "institutionalized religion" (as I called it - which is the exact same thing as what you called "organized religion"). In that thread I emphasized personal relationship with Jesus over anything else. Look at the thread here.

The heart of my arguement should satisfy what you are talking about: personal experience over institutionalized religion.

To sum up some of what I said in there here is a quote of something I said:

"However I do see sense in wanting to deviate from the traditional, sometimes deadening, "institutionalized religion" in which Christianity has been implemented sometimes in the past. And it is my opinion that it has caused alot of the "deadness" among some Churches and Christians. In other words it sometimes becomes a practicing of ritual instead of relationship."

&

"I can understand that. But do you understand what I was talking about? About how some Christians can make it little more than routine without any or little meaning at all to them personally?

And I don't have a problem with institutionalized Christianity per se, because I go to Church and try to participate in Bible studies etc. with the Church members but I think it needs to first of all be engaging on a personal level before we invite people to talk the talk with out having those who actually walk the walk, in other words not just act like Christians (which can produce inauthentic, unsaved "Christians") but actually be a Christian by having a relationship with Christ and then all the other things such as Church, etc. will have a basis for falling into place. You first need the firm root of relationship for it to mean any thing.
"

I've preempted this objection of Christianity a little bit, so I hope you appreciate the fact that I've been mindful of that in the past. And please don't get caught up in thinking Christianity is all about institution, more than that and above that it is a personal 1-on-1 relationship with God. You can choose when and where you worship God whether you do it at a Church building each Sunday or not.

The problem I have with any organized religion is the premise of the absolute truthfulness of an ancient scripture. There may be something to be said for it, but I do not find any ancient text accurate or without fault. It's my feelings not to take anything without appropriate documentation or peer review at face value, especially a book with so many contradictions that asks for complete and total faith. Jesus may have been a real person, but I have a hard time believing he was completely and accurately depicted in that ancient documentary. You may feel that the lessons to be learned are good ones, and like to live a certain way, and that is your perogative. I may well be wrong, and that is the awesomeness of the life we live, its the choice to have your own opinion and your own ability to reason on everything. As far as a man, a son of god being the only way to redemtion, that you cannot improve yourself but to ask for forgivness for your complete sins... i can't perscribe to that. I feel that I can and am continually improving myself as I age, and I like that feeling. Its my effort and the gain of myself and others are due to my work, not for the death of somebody 2,000 years ago.

People who do not follow God are not incapable of moral decisions and "bettering themselves", but given that there is a God it must measure up to His standards, and also it is not like he is some removed entity who throws the cold shoulder to humanity and never interacts with man. God has been personally involving himself in human affairs since the very beginning and it culminated in the person of Jesus. It is not possible to logically prove the Bible or God 100% or faith and salvation would be an intellectual achievement rather than a work of God, but your objections are well noted and I've debated with atheists and agnostics over the years and have just about heard it all, and of course I've learned that you cannot intellectually convince someone of Christ. That is why I take a slightly different approach when witnessing and debating. I try to take on the character, attitude, and method of the disciples like they did when they were beaten and rejoiced over it because they had confidence that despite the other's unbelief and persecution, they knew to be true what they had seen and heard.

So I ask you to please oblige me a bit in this approach as I give you some sincere arguements to show you how life changing a relationship with Jesus can be. If I can show you or point you toward a life-changing power maybe that will be more convincing then all the archeological, scientific, exegetical, or scholarly evidence in the world that could be given in favor of the Bible, because in a way it shows the bottom line of it all without getting tied up in just one area to where you never move past it and step back to see the big picture (that is what scholarly arguements do most times - though not to say they are ineffective or useless).

Let's be frank here. People are people no matter where you go. I've known what I consider to be good or bad christians, muslims, sihks, jehova's, etc. etc. etc. I can't say that any particular faith is better than the other, and I WILL not look at it that way. I will like you for WHO you are, not what you believe happens when you die, and the same for my dislike of you.

But you don't quite understand. Who I am is shaped by what I believe. But friend it goes even further beyond that, its not all about who I am but who God is, who has made me who I am. Different religions can produce kind & caring people, but I say that none of them revere God as intimately and reverently as Christianity. God becomes the source of life for Christians, thus its no longer pointing to how good we can be, or what good things we can do but rather how God can change us.

Paul said this concerning experienceing Jesus in comparison to all his zealous good works before he was saved:

7But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ.

8More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,

9and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,

10that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death;

11in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

12Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.

Philippians 3:7-12

Notice Paul contrasts his own works (righteousness) and God's righteousness working in him. This is the focus.

You for example, the only way I know you is via a forum board. Yet i've come to believe that you are a good and sincere person. If you think thats because you're a good Christian, thats your perogative. I think thats because you're a good person and your religious preferences don't particularly come into play for me in that regard.

I hope from my above argument and the link to that thread I supplied you with that you would begin to think of Christianity less as an "institutionalized religion" and as more of a personal relationship with Jesus.

If you feel your religion has made you change for the better, more power to you brother! Personally, I'm happy when other people are happy, and of course if making them happy doesn't involve causing pain to others. You're happy, and that makes me happy, savvy?

Well its not so much happiness as the main focus as a strong conviction and dedication. If Christianity was about happiness it would be no different than hedonism. It's a real relationship with God and it has real life changing effects.

If all christians are brothers, i'm still wondering why there NEEDS to be all these different "flavours" of christianity? Certainly the true children of god would have gotten together in one big happy congregation a long time ago? God would have made that happen? Or am I missing something?

Division in the Church is an unfortunate reality, even Christians differ on interpretations but the stupid thing is some people will build their entire belief system around one verse in the Bible and take if out of context and thus you now have yet another new division in the "Church" (I already gave you that long analysis about the difference between the external church and the true church/body of Christ). Differences cannot be avoided sometimes. But since I of all people realize this, I really have no discrimination problems between churches (though there are a few denominations which I wouldn't associate with - you got to draw a line somewhere). As long as they preach the word of God I'm glad to go to whatever church is around. I've hopped around in intervals in the last couple years from one week to the next from Baptist Churches, Charistmatic, Methodist, Non-denominational, etc. churches, so I think that people who realize that same freedom to worship God are those who really understand what the church really is (the true body of God) and how God never intended for there to be denominational boundaries, and that's not how it was in the beginning when Christinaity first started either.

Amen to that brother. Don't live to die, live to live!!

I live for Christ. :) And I'll even die for him if I must. He loved me so much he gave his life for me. I must try to reciprocate with the same amount of love. "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21) Paul was really seeing what life was all about when he said that.

I would go so far to say that I think alot of the "current" catholic church stuff is run way to much like a corporation and gives way too much power to the allmighty dollar.

Yeah, the Catholic church is still pretty "out in the weeds" as my Dad says. They still think to a degree that you can't be saved unles you are part of their Church. They don't realize the freedom in Christ which we have and that freedom I just mentioned about being able to go to any Church where God is moving. Heck I've had Church (ekklesia - a gathering [of believers]) at my house before. Just me and my Dad, reading the Bible and praying. Done the same with my roommate here at college. Church in the Bible's definition (which so many people disreguard - they never study the Bible in the original context and culture and intention for which it was written) is a gathering for the purpose of edification - which is really just a fancy term for encouragement, fellowship, and teaching. Also when people get together just to pray, this can also be considered Church. See, it has nothing to do with "instututionalism" we are free to worship God in Spirit and in truth (John 4:23).

So much in fact that "some" protestant denominations have rather impressed me with their "no frills" type worship. I have to believe that is truer to a christians core beliefs than the Popes huge expensive hat!!

You're right. You are starting to get a glimpse of the real definition of Christianity: a personal relationship with God. Not institutionalism but freedom to meet how you wish, when you wish, and where you wish: all for the simple purpose of edification and worshiping God. Now nothing is wrong with organizing get togethers. Far from it. But don't skim the surface and get the wrong in impresssion. Real Christians keep church [meeting together with eachother & God] alive outside of "Church" (where everyone meets in a physical building). And what that means really is living out the things you learn in church, things about God and how to serve him rightly and how to live joyfully in the process.

As i've said Josh, there isn't a lot in that reply that I can truly respond to, only to say that you seem to have your stuff together pretty good. That and you are very good at making your statements clear, concise, logically ordered and easy to understand.

Thank you. And I can only hope to rub off some of my sincerity and convictions on you. It's not my job nor my desire to cumpulse you into beliving, but to reason and relate and to explain and to even get excited about my convictions to someone sincere enough to listen. I think you are an excellent listener, so keep it up. I look forward to many more discussions with you in the future.

God Bless,

~Josh

I know that post above may also take you a while to look over, so take your time. But I just had to come back and post something because I ran across this amazing sermon I heard which was short, succinct, and relevant to one thing I said about Christianity being personal and also how it is better demonstrated by actions that words (love in this case). If you have any time at all to listen to this sermon I listened to, please do so. Its only 30 minutes long, and the guy speaks very clearly, doesn't yell or anything like that, and even has a few moments of humor in which I busted out laughing. But I would like you to listen to it if you can and tell me what you thought about it. He speaks briefly about evolution but that's not his main focus (and I don't want to start an evolution debate here) but rather he uses it to get to his main point of love, and I think it will help you conceptualize what I was saying above if you hear it from someone else as well.

Here is the site with the sermons on it. Go half way down the page and click on the one that says "Apologetics of Love" by Will Dickerson. I really hope you have some time to listen to it. I think he did well in articulating his point, and he did it with sincerity, style, and humor.

God Bless,

~Josh

Back