Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Churches should pay tax. What do you think?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
C

caseypayne1980

The Jews following Jesus asked him he they should pay taxes to Caesar. He pretty much asked who's name was on the coin. They said Caesar, and Jesus said then you shall pay Caesar what already belongs to him, and God what belongs to him.

Now in current day America churches don't have to pay taxes, because of mans law of christians in the Senate. Do you think we should pay taxes anyway? Jesus view then would mean, who's face is on that coin? George Washington? Then we should pay what is owed to the state or country. I think personally churches should pay tax. Whats yalls thoughts.

Matthew 22:17-21

17Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?

18But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?

19Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny.

20And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription?

21They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

When Jesus answered the question, wasn't it about personal taxes? Furthermore, He gave a trick answer to a trick question. The coins belong to Caesar, but everything belongs to God.

Now in current day America churches don't have to pay taxes, because of mans law of christians in the Senate. Do you think we should pay taxes anyway? Jesus view then would mean, who's face is on that coin? George Washington? Then we should pay what is owed to the state or country. I think personally churches should pay tax. Whats yalls thoughts.

Its completely arbitrary. If the Government finds sound grounds in which to tax a church then we are to obey the law. Plus churches pay property taxes, unlike what a group of people having "Church" (in the true sense of the word) at someone's house would have to do. And what exactly are you talking about when you say "taxing"? Taxing who, taxing what? The people, the building, or the expression?

cybershark5886 said:

Its completely arbitrary. If the Government finds sound grounds in which to tax a church then we are to obey the law. Plus churches pay property taxes, unlike what a group of people having "Church" (in the true sense of the word) at someone's house would have to do. And what exactly are you talking about when you say "taxing"? Taxing who, taxing what? The people, the building, or the expression?

Alter call tax. Because that is the main source of revenue. Revenue that would be taxed in a business. But they pay property tax already? Thats cool. Just don't like the idea of my church under minding Jesus word.

DaScribe said:
When Jesus answered the question, wasn't it about personal taxes? Furthermore, He gave a trick answer to a trick question. The coins belong to Caesar, but everything belongs to God.

In that case then as 'agents' of God, use His money to pay. I'm sure if this were the case then a spot of fishing wouldn't go astray. :wink:

The problem, as I see it, is that for a church not to pay taxes they must file a 501c3, which makes the church a legal corporation in the eyes of the government and it's laws. I would also ask the question:

Should churches file 501c3's and become a corporation?

Given the alternative, should they pay taxes?

Should they stand thier ground and not pay taxes or file a 501c3?

I'd take the last one.

In that case then as 'agents' of God, use His money to pay. I'm sure if this were the case then a spot of fishing wouldn't go astray

I'm not sure what this means, but would like to. Please clarify. Are you referencing the coin in the fish's mouth?

DaScribe said:
That was quite clever, did you make that up?

Yeah - but no big deal.

To me the point is this - there are all of these people running around saying they are doing God's work and then they complain about paying taxes required by the state. Well somethings wrong. If they really were doing God's work don't you think God would provide the means to render whatever is due?

Alter call tax. Because that is the main source of revenue. Revenue that would be taxed in a business. But they pay property tax already? Thats cool. Just don't like the idea of my church under minding Jesus word.

Alter call tax? Would you elaborate please? For some reason that just doesn't ring a bell.

And I may need to kick myself in the rear end for mixing up property and building fees for taxes. It seems quite a hot topic on the net of whether Churches should be exempt from property taxes and it seems many are. I'll go put my foot in my mouth now. :)

As for the comment of not wanting to undermine God's word, that's fine. Perhaps though you could investigate and share here with us the legal/legitimate reason that government would withhold taxes from the Church. The government doesn't play with money, they obviously must have a good enough reason to allow churches to be exempt from taxes.

cybershark5886 said:
Alter call tax? Would you elaborate please? For some reason that just doesn't ring a bell.

And I may need to kick myself in the rear end for mixing up property and building fees for taxes. It seems quite a hot topic on the net of whether Churches should be exempt from property taxes and it seems many are. I'll go put my foot in my mouth now. :)

As for the comment of not wanting to undermine God's word, that's fine. Perhaps though you could investigate and share here with us the legal/legitimate reason that government would withhold taxes from the Church. The government doesn't play with money, they obviously must have a good enough reason to allow churches to be exempt from taxes.

I have some background on accounting, so I'll try to look into it I guess. I'm starting my new job this Monday. Payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable main guy :). Job security.

Alter call was probabably the wrong word, more like collections. When they pass the pans around the pews.

Sorta like the government, revenue for gov is all the taxes, lice fee's, permits etc. Gov has Assets, Liabilities, and funds. While corps have Assets, Liabilities, and Equity. Which does the church fall under? My guess is church is A L F. Since churches don't have stocks.

Do you guys think that the good guys that were in the government that started the no taxing churchs did it for the right reasons, or do yall think it abids against what Jesus said?

Why should the Church pay taxes in the United States when all other non-profit organizations do not? That would be direct descrimination against the Church. The People who work for the church do have to pay taxes, but the organizations are non-profit.

DaScribe said:
Why should the Church pay taxes in the United States when all other non-profit organizations do not? That would be direct descrimination against the Church. The People who work for the church do have to pay taxes, but the organizations are non-profit.

So the preachers them selves pay taxes, well I guess that helps shed light on it for me.

Yes they do. The obscene recent trend of exploiting the gospel for profit, well that's another post. :)

DaScribe said:
Yes they do. The obscene recent trend of exploiting the gospel for profit, well that's another post. :)

Oh I'm by no means leaning toward that view. I know were my churches money goes. For events in the church, payroll, evangelism, food, child care, etc. We have a budget of 2007 of 1,400,000 I believe. This thread is specifically to talk about whether and what should be taxed according to what Jesus said about Caesars money.

My comment was more of a brief editorial on the people who are becoming extremely rich as a result of the Bible. It not my intent to direct anything to any specific church. :wink:

I believe that churches should pay taxes as well. Aside from rendering Ceasar that which is his due, there is also a principal of not being unequally yoked with unbelievers. The church may be yoking itself to a government that decides what may be said from the pulpit, or they threaten to take away their status. This sort of puts unbelivers, or secular organizations, in an authority position. This could lead to adultery against our Lord.

Secondly, the church should be supported by those who are giving from their hearts, and from a place of obedience, not by those who resent the tax break being given to God's people. We should be the ones giving, not taking, and doing charitable works in the community funded by God's provision through His people...we should be about our Father's business, and trusting Him for the funding. Just my thoughts.

The Lord bless you.

Nice post lovely.

My two cents. Shouldn't ALL businesses be taxed according to income? I am NOT a big believer in taxes to start with, BUT, shouldn't EVERYONE be included in the funding of our government? And, since the taxes would be but a small part of the income of a 'church', how could it possibly be that much of a 'burden' to help finance the government that defends their 'right' to congregate in the name of their God? And, if The Spirit IS present in these 'churches', wouldn't God provide the 'difference' so that it could NOT be a burden to start with?

MEC

Technically, churches don't make an income, but are only self supportive for their ministries and each other. Having said that, we all know that there are some who wrongfully use it for an income to become rich, which I don't agree with and is unbiblical.

Back