Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Clearing the slate: the Word of God

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
D

DanR

It's considered poor form to start a new thread on a concurrent theme, but in one instance, some clear teaching of the Bible is being compromised and co-opted by confusion, in spite of heroic efforts by many with excellent clarification, and I feel a fresh, clean start is called for, with the facts presented at the outset.

In Revelation, 19:13, we are clearly given that one of the names of Christ is 'the word of God':

'And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.'

Whether we capitalise it or not, it hardly makes any difference; 'word' is used in the N.T. as both a description, and a name, of God, the Son of God. 'Word' and 'word of God' is also used when referring to the message of the Gospel.

Logos, in Greek, has a range of meanings: word, speech, matter, report, etc., just as the English 'word' does: a single word, a report ('Any word from the front lines?'), a conversation ('May I have a word with you?). John adds to Greek usage a name, and also a descriptor, of God.

There can hardly be any debate on this matter. 'Word' is equated with 'God', and is equated with the incarnated (made flesh) Deity Christ himself in the opening of John. And evangelicals have often said that the point of the gospel is Jesus Christ himself.

In other words, Jesus also IS the message, content, import, matter, report; in short, the Word.

Thank you Danr. That's what I've been trying to tell MEC, but thank you for recasting the issue here.

God Bless,

~Josh

DanR said:
Many years of experience on Forums have shown me that often a confused thread long outlives its meaning. I'll just keeping bumping this one now and then instead, rather than add to the argument on the other one. If all the passages referring to Christ as the Word are read, the Bible's meaning can hardly be mistaken.

In Revelation, 19:13, we are clearly given that one of the names of Christ is 'the word of God':

'And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.'

Whether we capitalise it or not, it hardly makes any difference; 'word' is used in the N.T. as both a description, and a name, of God, the Son of God. 'Word' and 'word of God' is also used when referring to the message of the Gospel.

Logos, in Greek, has a range of meanings: word, speech, matter, report, etc., just as the English 'word' does: a single word, a report ('Any word from the front lines?'), a conversation ('May I have a word with you?). John adds to Greek usage a name, and also a descriptor, of God.

There can hardly be any debate on this matter. 'Word' is equated with 'God', and is equated with the incarnated (made flesh) Deity Christ himself in the opening of John. And evangelicals have often said that the point of the gospel is Jesus Christ himself.

In other words, Jesus also IS the message, content, import, matter, report; in short, the Word.

Back