Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the folowing study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Crazy School Event

SarahB

My 12-year-old daughter has been invited to participate in a school event that my husband and I are not crazy about. I wanted to see how other parents would feel about their child doing something like this.

First, the positive. The event serves as a fundraiser for a local food pantry, and they collect tons of donated food and resources.

A team of sixth, seventh, and eighth graders go up against students from another local middle school. They are given academic quiz game questions and other challenges. The student who gets the correct answer first gets the opportunity to throw a pie in the face of the other student. In later rounds, they let the kids go all out with other messy items. In the past, students have had jumbo-sized cans of baked beans, Spaghetti-O’s and chocolate syrup dumped over their heads, and have been squirted with whole bottles of mustard and ketchup. Most of the food used is past expiration and would have been thrown away. By the end, the kids start slipping on the sloppy tarp, and it devolves into an all-out food fight. As you can imagine, everyone ends up covered from head to foot and they hose them down at the end.

The school views this as a way to reward good students and let them break loose and fulfill the fantasy of being in a food fight. My husband and I agree that our daughter is old enough to make this decision. She told us that she is feeling a little nervous, but she thinks it will be fun and wants to participate. (She is a straight-A student who does ballet, violin, and sports). To me, the event seems kind of demeaning, and honestly it will be hard for me to watch my daughter in this kind of situation. Am I overreacting? I would be interested in hearing how other parents would feel.

My 12-year-old daughter has been invited to participate in a school event that my husband and I are not crazy about. I wanted to see how other parents would feel about their child doing something like this.

First, the positive. The event serves as a fundraiser for a local food pantry, and they collect tons of donated food and resources.

A team of sixth, seventh, and eighth graders go up against students from another local middle school. They are given academic quiz game questions and other challenges. The student who gets the correct answer first gets the opportunity to throw a pie in the face of the other student. In later rounds, they let the kids go all out with other messy items. In the past, students have had jumbo-sized cans of baked beans, Spaghetti-O’s and chocolate syrup dumped over their heads, and have been squirted with whole bottles of mustard and ketchup. Most of the food used is past expiration and would have been thrown away. By the end, the kids start slipping on the sloppy tarp, and it devolves into an all-out food fight. As you can imagine, everyone ends up covered from head to foot and they hose them down at the end.

The school views this as a way to reward good students and let them break loose and fulfill the fantasy of being in a food fight. My husband and I agree that our daughter is old enough to make this decision. She told us that she is feeling a little nervous, but she thinks it will be fun and wants to participate. (She is a straight-A student who does ballet, violin, and sports). To me, the event seems kind of demeaning, and honestly it will be hard for me to watch my daughter in this kind of situation. Am I overreacting? I would be interested in hearing how other parents would feel.

Greetings and welcome to our forum.

This sounds like Nickelodion coming home to roost, and it's never really appealed to me either. I think if she was WANTING to get in the middle of being covered in slime that would be one thing, but if she is not, I see no real need to be encouraging it. It is actually a little demeaning if you ask me, and I'm not quite sure how it promotes "intelligence" to be reducing one another to pigs in a trough, LoL.

Just my take. Others might see it differently.

Blessings in Christ, and welcome once again. Your questions are welcome.
Hidden

Break loose from what?
Doing what they're supposed to be doing?

I don't care for the above.

Let's put it this way:
Would Barron Trump be involved in such an event?
Would the children of Kate Middleton be involved in such trash?

How far down into the barrel do we want to go?

Keep your daughter away from this type of activity.
What does it say about we humans?
Nothing good.

And at that age!
Let's not even go there.

Am I overreacting? I

Do you know any parents with children in later years. What were their reaction to their child taking part last time?
How did their child feel about it once the excitement had worn off?

I think the event seems extreme to me, I could understand a water fight, but squirting mustard!

Organise a treat for that weekend so you don't have to be involved.

It's understandable to feel uneasy about this event, as it may conflict with your values. Praying for guidance and discussing your concerns with your daughter, while supporting her decision, can help you navigate this situation with grace and understanding. <3

Back