Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

crucifixion

locust

we know something about the death of Jesus . and there are things that are assumed to of happened , we know he was nailed to a thing made of wood . how long was it?? how deep the hole it was set into ,what did it all weigh . how far off the ground were his feet. how many nails were used ,2,3,or 4 ?? how many men did it take to stand it all up?? how did he get taken down ? we were not told many things but there are clues . Does anyone want to play ?

we know something about the death of Jesus . and there are things that are assumed to of happened , we know he was nailed to a thing made of wood . how long was it?? how deep the hole it was set into ,what did it all weigh . how far off the ground were his feet. how many nails were used ,2,3,or 4 ?? how many men did it take to stand it all up?? how did he get taken down ? we were not told many things but there are clues . Does anyone want to play ?
Why is any of this important enough to need answers? Chances are the answers you seek will not be found since nobody today has been there and there are probably no recorded documents with these kinds of specifications.

much of what I mentioned has been pictured in movies . do you take it for granted that's the way it happen?

I think I'd tend to agree with WIP here. I naturally don't take anything I see in movies as God's honest truth anyway, but as far as the real truth is concerned, I think the only group who these sorts of questions usually matter to are the JWs.

But someone else was posting on a similar question here if you wanted to take a look:

my self I have wondered why not use a pole with a pulley at the top ,then with a rope running down to pull the man up . let him hang there till he dies . bind his feet so that he could not push himself up. it suffocation that ultmently kills . i then realised that a relative could cut the rope to get him down. nails would prevent that from happening. nails are forever

[We know something about the death of Jesus, and there are things that are assumed to have happened. We know he was nailed to a thing made of wood. How long was it? How deep the hole it was set into, what did it all weigh, how far off the ground were his feet, and how many nails were used—2,3,or 4? How many men did it take to stand it all up? How did [his body] get taken down? We were not told many things but there are clues. Does anyone want to play?]

I do not wish to play, but indeed we have clues, both through text and archaeology.

The three to be executed probably each had a squad of 4 soldiers (eg Ac.12:4), in line with the 4 clothing items (outer robe, belt, headpiece, & sandals) divided between 4 soldiers, with the 5th item, the seamless undergarment, won by one of them (not the centurion) by casting lots (throwing dice). The cross had a main post, plus a crossbeam which Jesus carried partway (a common burden for the condemned and not all flayed bodies could carry it the full distance). Crosses (stauroi) came in several shapes and often of two-parts. The vertical stake needed to be only long enough for a crime sheet above the head, and the feet to be above ground level. A few inches would suffice, but a woven hyssop stalk (kalamos) might suggest up to a foot off the ground. Its two-section weight would depend of several factors, eg type and quantity of wood plus some nails and a body. The hole would have to make the cross secure: crucifixion was down to a fine art. Once secured by nails or ropes, the condemned would be raised up by ropes. A squad could have done this easily enough, with fellow soldiers under a centurion on hand for crowd control. Three nails would have been used, one for the ankles, and one for each wrist. Whether they removed the cross before removing the corpse I know not, but I suspect that after the centurion deemed Jesus to be a son of a god, a little more respect would have kicked in. Nails were removed and reused.

Back