Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Cursing (Swearing)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I don't make a big deal from it. The clients here, well, their favorite expression is m**********r. That gets thrown around quite a lot, and to be honest, i say it myself sometimes. And the 'F' and 'S'words. Let's just say it is something that isn't used in polite company. Sin? I don't really think so.

I do say, 'Oy vay' a lot, though. :-D

Urambo Tauro said:
I always found this an interesting topic...
It was funny to think that some "cuss words" could only be used by a preacher- like "Hell", "Damn(ation)", etc.
Sure, they are often used as "cuss words", but they have real, valid meanings that permit their use in the right context.

True.

So where do we draw the line? Is it at the literal meaning of the particular word? It certainly seems strange that there are words that are "taboo"... Where/when did the idea of "taboo" words come from?

Very simple. The word to describe this is "derogatory." When someone takes a word and uses it in a derogatory manner, they, in essence, defile it by using it in an abusive manner. That's one of the ways a person can be offensive verbally.

antitox said:
Urambo Tauro said:
I always found this an interesting topic...
It was funny to think that some "cuss words" could only be used by a preacher- like "Hell", "Damn(ation)", etc.
Sure, they are often used as "cuss words", but they have real, valid meanings that permit their use in the right context.

True.

So where do we draw the line? Is it at the literal meaning of the particular word? It certainly seems strange that there are words that are "taboo"... Where/when did the idea of "taboo" words come from?

Very simple. The word to describe this is "derogatory." When someone takes a word and uses it in a derogatory manner, they, in essence, defile it by using it in an abusive manner. That's one of the ways a person can be offensive verbally.

Sputnik: Absolutely, antitox. Furthermore, while not intending being judgmental to other Christians (I can't afford to be) I'm still appalled by those on this thread who profess to be Christians and yet confess to using 'gutter language'. While we may 'slip' on occasions, regular use of obscenities by professed Christians gives a bad message to the nonchristian. It's no less a mockery to Jesus and should be condemned for what it is.

And, furthermore (again), there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for the use of foul language. I don't care about the semantics behind what makes an obscenity an obscenity. Do we even need to debate this issue? If one needs to consult a therapist before they can figure out the difference between right and wrong, then this suggests a bigger problem. Seems as though some Christians could use some soap-in-the-mouth treatment once their initial problem has been dealt with. What would Jesus do?

Sputnik: Absolutely, antitox. Furthermore, while not intending being judgmental to other Christians (I can't afford to be) I'm still appalled by those on this thread who profess to be Christians and yet confess to using 'gutter language'. While we may 'slip' on occasions, regular use of obscenities by professed Christians gives a bad message to the nonchristian. It's no less a mockery to Jesus and should be condemned for what it is.

And, furthermore (again), there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for the use of foul language. I don't care about the semantics behind what makes an obscenity an obscenity. Do we even need to debate this issue? If one needs to consult a therapist before they can figure out the difference between right and wrong, then this suggests a bigger problem. Seems as though some Christians could use some soap-in-the-mouth treatment once their initial problem has been dealt with. What would Jesus do?

I hear ya. If someone is doing this, they are showing some form of contempt for others. I think that if we really have regard for people, then we will be civil about it.

Pro 18:21 Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

Psa 10:7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue [is] mischief and vanity.

Psa 34:13 Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.

Psa 39:1 that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.

Pro 10:31 The mouth of the just bringeth forth wisdom: but the froward tongue shall be cut out.

Pro 15:4 A wholesome tongue [is] a tree of life: but perverseness therein [is] a breach in the spirit.

Pro 21:23 Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.

I think their are degrees of sin with God. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit being the worst. You can commit that with your tongue.

Jesus talks about those who hurt children as having it worse.

Mar 9:42 And whosoever shall offend one of [these] little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back