Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Darkness Defines Light

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Just_Michael

"Life! Don't talk to me about life."
By science and math it's plain to see
the nature of oddball reality,
in which we see with clockwork precision
and ever-growing clarity of vision

the traces of God upon the world,
this life a mystery slowly unfurled
to a mind long prone to obsess
over every dim recess.

For the darkness defines my life's outline
showing my reach to touch the divine,
and suffering for a halo hard-earned
through earthly hells and visions burned

from a comet's tail across the sky
streaking to pierce the veil's third eye
by self-induced hallucination
slowly turning to fascination.

This darkness I've borne to find the light
has come to set me upon the right
path to find the one thin line
and make my life worthy of Thine.

That’s an interesting poem.
In Jewish theology, darkness is the absence of light.

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness.

The very nature of light pierces through darkness. Darkness does not consume light, but rather darkness is dispersed by the light.

Within the creation account, God continues to speak into creation and His creation is empowered to continue creating “ after their own kind”. Without this empowerment, life becomes stagnant and darkness fills that absence.

Darkness is the absence of light, and light represents the Godly things God would have us do. In other words, we are empowered by God to be Holy, for He is holy. By doing so, calmness and order pierce through the calimity and chaos which surround us.

Seeing that the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness cannot comprehend it; how is it that we would suppose that darkness then could define light?

Ah, but there will be a definitive line between light and darkness in the end. "Outside, there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Light most assuredly disperses darkness. It is the edges of darkness that give the light its shape. It is a necessary quality, and God in His wisdom has appointed it as a test. Do we follow the paths of darkness, or do we follow Him who loved us to the point of being willing to be made an object of scorn and ridicule unto death?

For the darkness defines my life's outline
showing my reach to touch the divine,

The darkness in my life is merely the backdrop against which I rise. It falls below as I ascend, and as I begin to shine with that same light, I can be seen against that darkness. That darkness is the yardstick by which I measure the intensity of the light. I can look back at my past and see how far I've come.

and suffering for a halo hard-earned
through earthly hells and visions burned

Paul said to run the race. He didn't say the race was going to be all downhill and smooth. Nor did Christ, and the suffering we endure surely builds up a spiritual treasure that awaits us where it cannot be stolen.

from a comet's tail across the sky
streaking to pierce the veil's third eye

I sought to understand God through the nature of reality itself. I wanted to see behind the veil and watch the great cogs of the universe turn and move before I burn out. Are we not like comets streaking for a moment across the sky, and then we're gone? Is it not human nature, therefore, to wish to know for certain that life, and the universe itself, does have some meaning?

by self-induced hallucination
slowly turning to fascination.

Pretty self-explanatory. It wasn't the way. I instead saw (and recognized) Old Scratch for what he is and yet, God still was glorified because the experiences only made me seek Him with that much more fervor. This is not the way, which means I am moving that much closer to Him (by letting go of that which is unprofitable).

This darkness I've borne to find the light
has come to set me upon the right
path to find the one thin line
and make my life worthy of Thine.

The darkness I've experienced in life and have carried for so long has only grown my anger at myself and made me want what other Christians with grace seem to have all the more. It drove me to find that line to walk so that I would be worthy of Him who loved me so despite how I have undoubtedly hurt Him. That shame is hard to let go of.

That’s an interesting poem.
In Jewish theology, darkness is the absence of light.

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness.

The very nature of light pierces through darkness. Darkness does not consume light, but rather darkness is dispersed by the light.

Within the creation account, God continues to speak into creation and His creation is empowered to continue creating “ after their own kind”. Without this empowerment, life becomes stagnant and darkness fills that absence.

Darkness is the absence of light, and light represents the Godly things God would have us do. In other words, we are empowered by God to be Holy, for He is holy. By doing so, calmness and order pierce through the calimity and chaos which surround us.
It’s true, as you say, darkness is the absence of light. That’s why light chases darkness and darkness cannot extinguish it.

Back