Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Devotional: A Sensitivity to Sin

electedbyhim

Elected by Him
Calvinism Overseer
July 11

A Sensitivity to Sin​

“If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us” (1 John 1:6-10).

True believers are sensitive to their sin and confess it.

Throughout Scripture, light is used as a metaphor for truth—both intellectual and moral truth (cf. Ps. 119:105, 130; Prov. 6:23). When the apostle John writes, “God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all” (1 John 1:5), he is stating that the Lord is absolutely sinless since light and darkness cannot coexist.

Some claim to have fellowship with God (v. 6), to have no sin (v. 8), and even to have never sinned (v. 10). But they are living in darkness; it is characteristic of unbelievers to be oblivious to the sins in their lives. But that is not true of genuine believers. They have a right sense of sin: they “walk in the light as He Himself is in the light” (v. 7), and they “confess [their] sins” (v. 9). True believers know that if they want to commune with God, they need to confess their sins and turn to Christ as their “Advocate” before God (2:1).

The apostle Paul was very sensitive to the sinful realities of his life (Rom. 7:14-25). What about you? Are you aware of the spiritual battle raging within you? Do you realize you must live a holy life to have fellowship with God? Are you willing to confess and forsake any sin in your life? Do you realize you can choose not to sin? Are you weary of doing battle with the sin in your life (cf. Rom. 7:24)? If these things are true of you, rejoice in the assurance of your salvation.

Suggestions for Prayer

Confess any known sin to God right now, then forsake it.

For Further Study

Read Romans 7:14-25.
  • Make a list of all the ways Paul was sensitive to his sin.
  • How many of those can you relate to?
  • How should you respond?

From Strength for Today by John MacArthur

July 11

A Sensitivity to Sin​

“If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us” (1 John 1:6-10).

True believers are sensitive to their sin and confess it.

Throughout Scripture, light is used as a metaphor for truth—both intellectual and moral truth (cf. Ps. 119:105, 130; Prov. 6:23). When the apostle John writes, “God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all” (1 John 1:5), he is stating that the Lord is absolutely sinless since light and darkness cannot coexist.

Some claim to have fellowship with God (v. 6), to have no sin (v. 8), and even to have never sinned (v. 10). But they are living in darkness; it is characteristic of unbelievers to be oblivious to the sins in their lives. But that is not true of genuine believers. They have a right sense of sin: they “walk in the light as He Himself is in the light” (v. 7), and they “confess [their] sins” (v. 9). True believers know that if they want to commune with God, they need to confess their sins and turn to Christ as their “Advocate” before God (2:1).

The apostle Paul was very sensitive to the sinful realities of his life (Rom. 7:14-25). What about you? Are you aware of the spiritual battle raging within you? Do you realize you must live a holy life to have fellowship with God? Are you willing to confess and forsake any sin in your life? Do you realize you can choose not to sin? Are you weary of doing battle with the sin in your life (cf. Rom. 7:24)? If these things are true of you, rejoice in the assurance of your salvation.

Suggestions for Prayer

Confess any known sin to God right now, then forsake it.

For Further Study

Read Romans 7:14-25.
  • Make a list of all the ways Paul was sensitive to his sin.
  • How many of those can you relate to?
  • How should you respond?

From Strength for Today by John MacArthur
If we walk in the light, (God), we won't need to worry about sin.

If we walk in the light, (God), we won't need to worry about sin.
Sin will always be an issue in the Christians life.

The only time we will not "worry" about sin, is when we are home with the Lord.

We must always be aware and on guard.

Matthew 26:41 "Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Thank you for reminding me: the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. Just like Paul wrote in Romans 6 and 7.

But I know that Jesus came for the sick, not for the healthy.

Sorry, stupid question: if Sick means "sinners" then healthy would mean "non-sinners". I'd rather stick to the context. Explain please.

Sorry, stupid question: if Sick means "sinners" then healthy would mean "non-sinners". I'd rather stick to the context. Explain please.
In context and verse 32 is your answer.

Luke 5:30 And the Pharisees and their scribes began grumbling at His disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with the tax collectors and sinners?”
Luke 5:31 And Jesus answered and said to them, “It is not those who are well who need a physician, but those who are sick.
Luke 5:32 “I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”

I always thought that Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees and that he meant this quite "cynically". And they understood very well. What he calls here the "righteous" are the tombs which are white outside, but filthy inside, or? Like in Luke 11?

I always thought that Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees and that he meant this quite "cynically". And they understood very well. What he calls here the "righteous" are the tombs which are white outside, but filthy inside, or? Like in Luke 11?
The Pharisees were righteous in their own eyes.

On the outside they presented themselves holy and blameless, they were hypocrites. On this inside they were rotten wretched men.

Sin will always be an issue in the Christians life.

The only time we will not "worry" about sin, is when we are home with the Lord.

We must always be aware and on guard.

Matthew 26:41 "Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."
Thank God Jesus made it possible to crucify that flesh, with the affections and lusts ! (Gal 5:24)

Thank you all. Do not get me wrong - I help when I can, I try to be a good person, I help a widow and her kids, I really do what I can - I really love the bible and I believe in the ransom. But sometimes when depression hits or I do something wrong, due to my sickness I feel unable to forgive myself, eg. I think that I cannot be longer forgiven. You understand this feeling: It is even hard to pray, I can only say - Sorry God, I am really not worthy I am just trash. Have mercy on me. Again I did something I should not have done.

Some things need years to heal and being continuously lonely and alone does not really help. Nobody in sight to discuss, to share. If I take the story of the lost son, I would have gone back - but I would have lost the way many times. And sometimes up to the point, when you just want to sit down and die. That is the downside of being mentally sick.

I intended not to offend anybody, just to highlight one thing: Being a good believer but mentally unstable or sick, its like dynamite. However, God is great and good. Sometimes when I see these small miracles that show me, he is still here (although I am in NO way worthy) I could cry. This is why I could never understand one thing: How can someone say I am new born, I am saved - with absolute certainty?

You all have a nice day - 0800 here and today - SUN, can you believe it? I gonna make a long, long walk in nature and pray.

Back