Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Didache

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

stovebolts

kjv 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

This passage was written around 66 or 67 AD. Youngs Literal Translation states it this way:

2 Timothy 3:16 every Writing is God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that is in righteousness,

My question is this. Since at the time of this writing the NT had not been fully compiled, is it permissable that the Didache was also included in these "Writing" since it predates 2 Timothy AND was widely used when 2 Timothy was written?

We read in the book of Hebrews: kjv: Hebrews 6:1-2 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Where are these doctrines spoken about at the time the book of Hebrews was written? Though not known, some suggest that Hebrews was written around 65 AD, so it appears that the Didache and Hebrews were written around the same time.

Here's a snipit that I pulled from a site a long time ago. Sorry I can't provide the link where I got this.

The Didache: Teachings of the 12 Apostles
The Didache is, in all probability, the oldest surviving extant piece of non-canonical literature. It is not so much a letter as a handbook for new Christian converts, consisting of instructions derived directly from the teachings of Jesus. The book can be divided into three sections. The first six chapters consist of Christian lessons; the next four give descriptions of the Christian ceremonies, including baptism, fasting and communion; and the last six outline the church organization.

The Didache claims to have been authored by the twelve apostles. While this is unlikely, the work could be a direct result of the first Apostolic Council, c.50 C.E. (Acts 15:28). Similarities to the Apostolic Decree are apparent, and the given structure of the church is quite primitive. Also, the description of the Eucharist (bread and wine) carefully avoids mention of the "body and blood of Christ," obviously being regarded as one of the secret mysteries of eary Christianity. Most scholars agree that the work, in its earliest form, may have circulated as early as the 60's C.E., though additions and modifications may have taken place well into the third century. The work was never officially rejected by the Church, but was excluded from the canon for its lack of literary value.

The complete text of the Didache was discovered in the Codex Hierosolymitanus, though a number of fragments exist, most notably in the Oxyrhynchus Papyri. It was originally composed in Greek, probably within a small community.
THE DIDACHE
Translated from the Greek text published
by Roswell D. Hitchcock in 1884.
TEACHING OF THE LORD TO THE NATIONS THROUGH THE TWELVE APOSTLES

The Didache can be found at:
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0714.htm

StoveBolts said:
kjv 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

This passage was written around 66 or 67 AD. Youngs Literal Translation states it this way:

2 Timothy 3:16 every Writing is God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that is in righteousness,

My question is this. Since at the time of this writing the NT had not been fully compiled, is it permissable that the Didache was also included in these "Writing" since it predates 2 Timothy AND was widely used when 2 Timothy was written?

We read in the book of Hebrews: kjv: Hebrews 6:1-2 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Where are these doctrines spoken about at the time the book of Hebrews was written? Though not known, some suggest that Hebrews was written around 65 AD, so it appears that the Didache and Hebrews were written around the same time.

Here's a snipit that I pulled from a site a long time ago. Sorry I can't provide the link where I got this.

The Didache: Teachings of the 12 Apostles
The Didache is, in all probability, the oldest surviving extant piece of non-canonical literature. It is not so much a letter as a handbook for new Christian converts, consisting of instructions derived directly from the teachings of Jesus. The book can be divided into three sections. The first six chapters consist of Christian lessons; the next four give descriptions of the Christian ceremonies, including baptism, fasting and communion; and the last six outline the church organization.

The Didache claims to have been authored by the twelve apostles. While this is unlikely, the work could be a direct result of the first Apostolic Council, c.50 C.E. (Acts 15:28). Similarities to the Apostolic Decree are apparent, and the given structure of the church is quite primitive. Also, the description of the Eucharist (bread and wine) carefully avoids mention of the "body and blood of Christ," obviously being regarded as one of the secret mysteries of eary Christianity. Most scholars agree that the work, in its earliest form, may have circulated as early as the 60's C.E., though additions and modifications may have taken place well into the third century. The work was never officially rejected by the Church, but was excluded from the canon for its lack of literary value.

The complete text of the Didache was discovered in the Codex Hierosolymitanus, though a number of fragments exist, most notably in the Oxyrhynchus Papyri. It was originally composed in Greek, probably within a small community.
THE DIDACHE
Translated from the Greek text published
by Roswell D. Hitchcock in 1884.
TEACHING OF THE LORD TO THE NATIONS THROUGH THE TWELVE APOSTLES

Jeff,

The Didache was accepted by a few of the Church Fathers as Scripture. No doubt, many thought it was at least useful for instruction, as it appears to be a catechism for newly baptized Christians.

Clement of Alexandria and Didymus the Blind both did (they were both from Alexandria, so apparently, the letter was highly revered in Egypt).

Origen and Athenasius of Alexandria MAY have also accepted it as Scriptures. Again, both from Egypt.

Only the Epistle of Barnabas and the first letter of Clement to the Corinthians received more acceptance and did NOT make the Canon.

Regards

Thank you Joe, I appreciate your response.

I find it fascinating how the first century viewed the world around them and how they viewed scripture. What an era that I cannot really begin to fully grasp, try as I might.

Every time I read the Didache, I just can't seem to get over these words that are written. What do you think?

Now reprove one another, not in anger but in peace, as you have it in the good message. And no one should speak to each one who misses the mark against another one, nor should he hear from you, until he changes his mind. But your vows and your charitable works and all your practices, do these, as you have it in the good message of our Lord.

And this...

For in the last days, the false prophets and the corruptors will be multiplied, and the sheep will be turned into wolves, and love will be turned into hate.

It just strikes me.. The Sheep will be turned into Wolves and Love, turned into Hate. Surely we are in those last days.

StoveBolts said:
Thank you Joe, I appreciate your response.

I find it fascinating how the first century viewed the world around them and how they viewed scripture. What an era that I cannot really begin to fully grasp, try as I might.

Every time I read the Didache, I just can't seem to get over these words that are written. What do you think?

Now reprove one another, not in anger but in peace, as you have it in the good message. And no one should speak to each one who misses the mark against another one, nor should he hear from you, until he changes his mind. But your vows and your charitable works and all your practices, do these, as you have it in the good message of our Lord.

And this...

For in the last days, the false prophets and the corruptors will be multiplied, and the sheep will be turned into wolves, and love will be turned into hate.

It just strikes me.. The Sheep will be turned into Wolves and Love, turned into Hate. Surely we are in those last days.

I agree, the Didache is an enlightening writing into the mind of the early Church. I believe it is very helpful for people to read it so as to get the mindset of the first Christians and how THEY read the Bible and how THEY understood it in the context of what they had received.

I have two other readings that you might enjoy that are not long. "First letter of Clement of Rome to the Corinthians" is an excellent writing during a time when the heirarchy was in flux. It is interesting on how Clement, a Bishop in Rome, would bother to write to Corinth - AND this writing was highly revered by the CORITHIANS! It is a living example of "Peter" sheperding the flock.

The second is Irenaeus' "Proof of Apostolic Preaching". It shows how the Old Testament points to the teachings of Christ. Some very interesting and instructive ideas on how the early Church saw themselves as a continuation of Judaism - but as the new wine skins...

Regards

Hi Joe :biggrin

Actually, I got ahold of Clement's letter awhile ago and found it very fullfilling! After all, some do say that he was a student of John, the apostle.

Proof of Apostolic Preaching sounds right up my alley since I've been studying the OT. I recently read most of John Paul's Theology on the Body and found his account of the creation of humanity beyond any other theologian's scope.

Thanks for the tip!

StoveBolts said:
Hi Joe :biggrin

Actually, I got ahold of Clement's letter awhile ago and found it very fullfilling! After all, some do say that he was a student of John, the apostle.

Proof of Apostolic Preaching sounds right up my alley since I've been studying the OT. I recently read most of John Paul's Theology on the Body and found his account of the creation of humanity beyond any other theologian's scope.

Thanks for the tip!

For anyone looking into the "proofs" of Christianity found in the OT, Proof of Apostolic Preaching is an excellent place to start. Lots of Scripture quotes.

Enjoy.

Joe

So, I guess it's week after next we'll be singing that.

I'll get the name of the composer for you next time I'm at church.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back