Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Do you *have* to go to church?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
L

~Leah~

I didn't know where to put this and this is my first post so I figured this would be a good spot.

I am a relatively new Christian. I love reading my bible. I love talking w/ God. I love talking about and reading about God and Christianity. I love listening to others, and learning. I even like the sermons at church. I have been going for several weeks...I think since dec. sometime...and I really, absolutely can not get into the singing part :crying: I know the bible says to praise and worship Jesus. But I can't get into that part of it. It really causes me a lot of stress because I think if I'm not doing or enjoying that then everything else is pointless and I may as well give up. And then I get discouraged and end up not reading my bible and doing all the other things that I do love to do. I dunno...I know it's disappointing to God probably ...but ... :smt090

Don't beat yourself up about not liking the music or singing. True worship has little to do with music. It is giving everything you have to God to glorify His name. People of God can praise and worship through music and singing, but it definately is not limited to these things.

Worship can be expressed by helping the helpless, evangelizing, helping a friend out or loving people. Reading your bible to learn more about God is a form of worship. Prayer is a form of worship. Sounds like you already like to worship. :biggrin

Another tip is don't sing, just read the words and think about what they mean. The feeling isn't the most important part, it is the knowing that God is great and you owe him your all.

BTW Sometimes good churches have lame music (adult contemporary). :-D :-D :-D joking

Hey don't worry yourself about the singing , I lip sick most of the time , because if I sang out load the church would be empty. :-D
Just do what you like doing , reading the Bible always a good thing , and the rest of the things you mentioned you like are a plus too. ;-)

Welcome there are some real nice people here. :biggrin

Thanks for all the responses...and the welcomes :)

Part of the issue I have is that I have ADD...and I don't want to use it as an excuse but I get so so frustrated...when I am trying to listen to the Pastor, or even concentrate on the screen/songs and I can't because the person behind me is tapping the pew, the girl off to my left is singing a song other than what everyone else is singing...or singing over the Pastor during his sermon, and the children up and down....I know these things seem petty and most don't even notice it...but I get so distracted so easily and it's like a million things going on in my head all at once and I can't concentrate or focus. And then I just get so discouraged and frustrated I don't ever want to go back :smt022

I end up coming away from church feeling worse and I don't want that. :sad

God knows your heart and your desire to know Him. Loving and getting to know God is the point of church so you are trying and He knows that. :biggrin

I have had to sit down, bow my head, close my eyes and pray during church to focus on what God wants me to know at times, so your not alone with this problem.

By the way Welcome to the forums.

First let me welcome you to our forums. :angel:

Part of the issue I have is that I have ADD...and I don't want to use it as an excuse but I get so so frustrated...when I am trying to listen to the Pastor, or even concentrate on the screen/songs and I can't because the person behind me is tapping the pew, the girl off to my left is singing a song other than what everyone else is singing...or singing over the Pastor during his sermon, and the children up and down....I know these things seem petty and most don't even notice it...but I get so distracted so easily and it's like a million things going on in my head all at once and I can't concentrate or focus. And then I just get so discouraged and frustrated I don't ever want to go back :smt022

I don't have ADD, but I too get distracted. That is why I sit in the front row, so I don't see all the people coming in late or getting up to go to the bathroom. I don't have to be bothered by the person in front moving around talking to each other while the pastor is talking.
People are just rude. I can't believe that someone is signing while the pastor is speaking?
I don't know what church you go to but if all this is going on it sounds like this church is in a state of disorder. The kids need to be in the nursery, the person singing while the pastor is preaching need to be told to shh. Things should be done in order, God is not the author of confusion.

If this kind of thing continues, I would start to look for another church. :wink:

• 1Corinthians 14:33. For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints

40. Let all things be done decently and in order.[/*:m:0aa0d]

• Hebrews 10:24. And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,
    25. not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.[/*:m:0aa0d]

Is it possible that the church you are at isn't the right church for you? I know for myself that I don't like big churches. Too much stuff going on.

Then again, you could always sit behind the people that sing the loudest and they will likely drown any other distractions.

Counting ceiling tiles might help too.... :lol: ;-) .

Welcome to the forums!!

Hello and welcome.

icon_welcome.gif

Judy said:
First let me welcome you to our forums. :angel:

I don't have ADD, but I too get distracted. That is why I sit in the front row, so I don't see all the people coming in late or getting up to go to the bathroom. I don't have to be bothered by the person in front moving around talking to each other while the pastor is talking.
People are just rude. I can't believe that someone is signing while the pastor is speaking?
I don't know what church you go to but if all this is going on it sounds like this church is in a state of disorder. The kids need to be in the nursery, the person singing while the pastor is preaching need to be told to shh. Things should be done in order, God is not the author of confusion.

If this kind of thing continues, I would start to look for another church. :wink:

• 1Corinthians 14:33. For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints

40. Let all things be done decently and in order.[/*:m:biggrin498c]

• Hebrews 10:24. And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,
    25. not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.[/*:m:biggrin498c]

Hmmm, I never thought of sitting in the front row :tongue I usually sit at the back so I can watch everything, lol.

My church is really big...but I don't think it's in disorder...these things don't seem to bother anyone else...I just don't have the ability to block things out...I'm afraid even if I sat in the front row I'd still be distracted by anything and everything that catches my eye.

I do think I would do better in a smaller church...but this is only one of two pentecostal in my city and the other is so far away. So I haven't even tried looking at other churches.

Anyway...I guess I just have to work this out for myself...I'm just getting more and more frustrated :roll:

Thanks for the welcome everyone :)

Just a suggestion, maybe you could ask someone how you can be involved in something so that you have to focus more.

I operate a camera during service sometimes. I have also served communion and took up offering as well.

It helps to be involved to keep the focus...

Just a thought, not a requirement to be a Christian by any means. :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back