Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Esctatological View

End Times View

• Protestant, Reformed, Historical, Historicist

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Idealist, Spiritualist, Spiritual Historicist

• Classical Futurist

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Dispensational Futurism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Partial Preterist

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Combined View

• Other

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Undecided

• Total voters

Protestant

Protestant, Reformed, Historical, Historicist
Known by several names, this is the view that prophecy completes the Bible's history of the work of redemption being carried out by Christ through His people. Revelation and overlapping prophecies in the Old and New Testaments, then, show the sovereign workings of God through history written before the actual events.

Idealist, Spiritualist, Spiritual Historicist
Also known by several names, this view sees Revelation and similar prophecies as not necessarily having a particular historical fulfillment but of being principles or pictures of the struggles of God's people and the triumph of Christ over His enemies.

Classical Futurist
The view that Revelation and similar prophecies are about the events of a small period of time just before the Second Coming.

Dispensational Futurism
The view that Revelation and similar prophecies are about (primarily) political events concerning the Jews after the first phase of Christ's Second Coming known as the secret rapture and the second phase when the millennial kingdom will begin.

Partial Preterist
The view that Revelation and similar prophecies are about the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple in A.D. 70.

Combined View
Holding to more than one of the above.

Other
You tell me. Other, however, does not include millennial views. So please don't say "My view is premillennialism" since the millennium is a sub category. :thumbsup

Undecided
Have not or cannot make up your mind.

If you have a better definition of your view leave it below. I have given the best objective synopsis of opinions with the information I have collected from it's adherents.

Also, Full Preterism has been left off because it is heretical. Christ has not returned yet.

I voted "Undecided" as the definition is "have not or can not make up your mind".

In my case it is, and will remain "have not" made up my mind.

I've studied a number of esctatological views and find merit in most of them and problems with most of them as well. Frankly, I think that the prophesies concerning end times are a lot like the prophesies concerning Christ's first coming...prophesies that were easily misunderstood and hard to understand, until Jesus was born by Mary and fulfilled them. Then, in 20/20 hindsight, things made sense.

However, many Jewish scholars, especially the Pharisees and Sadducees had very set, pre-determined beliefs about how the OT prophecies about the coming Messiah were going to be fulfilled, and when Christ came in a way they didn't expect, they rejected Him.

So, I'm keeping watchful, I'm studying and examining the Scriptures, and I'm keeping an open mind.

Where do Amils go? I voted Idealist, Spiritualist, Spiritual Historicist but I dont think it quite fits what I call 'Realized Amillenialism.'

Where do Amils go? I voted Idealist, Spiritualist, Spiritual Historicist but I dont think it quite fits what I call 'Realized Amillenialism.'

Millennium is a subcategory. There are amillennialists from all the above views except Dispensationl Futurism.

Millennium is a subcategory. There are amillennialists from all the above views except Dispensationl Futurism.

OK. I made a mistake then. :silly I should have voted Protestant, Reformed, Historical, Historicist.

New-style historicist that is, because I dont think the pope is to blame for everything.

Known by several names, this is the view that prophecy completes the Bible's history of the work of redemption being carried out by Christ through His people. Revelation and overlapping prophecies in the Old and New Testaments, then, show the sovereign workings of God through history written before the actual events.

Also known by several names, this view sees Revelation and similar prophecies as not necessarily having a particular historical fulfillment but of being principles or pictures of the struggles of God's people and the triumph of Christ over His enemies.

Classical Futurist
The view that Revelation and similar prophecies are about the events of a small period of time just before the Second Coming.

Dispensational Futurism
The view that Revelation and similar prophecies are about (primarily) political events concerning the Jews after the first phase of Christ's Second Coming known as the secret rapture and the second phase when the millennial kingdom will begin.

Partial Preterist
The view that Revelation and similar prophecies are about the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple in A.D. 70.

Combined View

Other
You tell me. Other, however, does not include millennial views. So please don't say "My view is premillennialism" since the millennium is a sub category. :thumbsup

Undecided
Dear friends, My view of Christian eschatology is not something I have studied closely yet, so I am open to Biblical evidence, whatever the Bible turns out to actually teach. I would say at this point I follow the Patristic (Church Fathers) view of Amillennial and Partial Preterist views, and some of the Bible Prophecy is also Future, so it is Partial Futurist view, as well. I reject a pre-tribulation rapture view, and antinomian dispensationalism. In Erie PA Scott Harrington

OK. I made a mistake then. :silly I should have voted Protestant, Reformed, Historical, Historicist.

New-style historicist that is, because I dont think the pope is to blame for everything.
I had to vote "combined". I agree somewhat with you on the view of the contemporary historicist and I also agree with much of the Partial preterist group too.

The general principle of Historicism is balanced IMO because it sees prophecy unfolding over the church age and not crammed into the 1st century (Preterist) or crammed into the future. (Futurist)

But old-style historicists are usually 7th-day Adventists or Calvinists :rolleyes2 neither of which I am. They tend to live in the issues of the 16th century.

So yes, I am historicist but the 'antichrist' power of the 20th century must surely be Islam - not RCC.

As for part-Preterism, it seems to me to be a reaction away from all the loony predictions. I can understand people hiding in the safety of the past. There is no risk of making an ass of ones self when we say, "there is nothing more to come except the resurrection." But prophecy did not stop in AD70 so I cannot vote part-Preterist.

As for part-Preterism, it seems to me to be a reaction away from all the loony predictions. I can understand people hiding in the safety of the past. There is no risk of making an ass of ones self when we say, "there is nothing more to come except the resurrection." But prophecy did not stop in AD70 so I cannot vote part-Preterist.
A partial preterist who understands his/her position would also say the same thing, for they do not believe all prophecy was fulfilled by 70 AD.

Here, I've posted this before, but it's worth posting again:

Contemporary "Partial Preterist View"
(Source: R.C. Sproul, Last Days)

A.D.70

A coming (parousia) of Christ
A day of the Lord
A judgment
The end of the Jewish Age

Still Future

The Coming (parousia) of Christ
The Day of the Lord
The Resurrection of the dead
The Rapture of the living
The (final) Judgment
The end of history

A partial preterist who understands his/her position would also say the same thing, for they do not believe all prophecy was fulfilled by 70 AD.

Here, I've posted this before, but it's worth posting again:

Good answer Vic. :thumbsup I would tack a few more things on Dr. Sproul's 'still future' list but those are the basics, for sure.

Incidentally, Sproul's chart suggests 'dual fulfillment' a concept which is often resisted by Preterists. I started a topic about it over here.

Cyber

Based on the definitions, I'm a classical futurist (I think). I'll say this--- although some historicist views have validity, I take the stance that it is a forerunner of another or even final fulfillment yet in the future. Prophecy repeats itself. (c.f. to the saying "History repeats itself").

The bible is a book for us, today! and by that, not just object lessons, but God has everything mapped out, and even with proper understanding the Bible explains what is going on right now in the middle east for example.

I believe there is more to come than what occurred historically ---- the best is yet to be! The bible (the Word) is truly timeless covering from the beginning of time until the end, just as God is omnipresent in all times. To limit the bible in scope and say there's a boundary seems to me to be limiting God's realm.

Classical Futurist

Dispensational Futurism

Partial Preterist

Combined View

Other

Undecided
Non-dispensational, Pre-millinial, post-tribulational, Partial preterist

Back