Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Essential vs. Non-essential doctines

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

cyberjosh

I had a discussion with my Pastor not too long ago on Essential and Non-essential doctrines. He was talking about tolerance of other views on certain doctrines which are non-essential but said that where he will not budge are essential doctrines such as the way of salvation (through Jesus Christ alone), the person (diety) and work of Jesus Christ, the Trinity, and justification (to name a few). Some of the Non-essential doctrines we discussed were Church government (Elders vs. Bishops vs. Pastors vs...), Spiritual gifts (such as tongues), what day you worship on, and certian other doctrines that churches adopt that "require" their congregation to follow a specific code of living, etc...

What is your stand on this? Do you recognize that there are non-essential doctrines, and that lingering over some of those can lead to bickering and unnecessary division in the Church? Paul knew of this ahead of time and warned us with several admonitions saying:

"Refuse foolish and ignorant speculations, knowing that they produce quarrels." (2 Timothy 2:23)

"Do not pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith. " (1 Timothy 1:4)

"Avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and strife and disputes about the Law, for they are unprofitable and worthless." (Titus 3:9)

There really are some things just not worth debating over again and again. Don't you agree?

God Bless,

~Josh

I believe there is a difference between issues of doctrine (orthodoxies) of the faith - and issues of how that faith is lived out (orthopraxis)

There are issues that differ from denomination to denomination on how we live out our faith - but ulitmately we have the same faith.

Hi cyber,

I guess it depends on goals. Perhaps when one is dealing with sickness, it is good to study the doctrines of healing. To learn the causes and cures. If one is struggling financially, then the verses about money tend to leap off of the pages.

Essential doctrines for getting saved, one must do, say, or believe certain doctrines. These doctrines do seem to be rehashed again and again.

Eternal destiny? I believe there is a deeper issue in this. In fact, it is the issue that is the root of all of the debates over doctrine. It is simply this: Do you trust God? Do you believe God is righteous?

I, for one, am all for letting God be God and to be about the business of edifying the church, reaching the lost, and ministering in His name.

The more that each of us seeks first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, the closer we will come to walking together. The more that we take matters to God in prayer, and listen for His answers, and submit to His corrections, then the less we will see the endless debates over any doctrines.

Yes, For me, there are some things that I will not budge on and I am sure by now most know what those are, as far as I go....

1 Jesus is God

2 The Trinity

3 Salvation by Grace through faith ''alone''

4 Jesus is the ''Only'' way, the truth and the life......

All four of these go hand in hand....and these as far as I go, are not debate able.....

If you were to ask one of the Orthodox faith and perhaps Catholic as well, they would say that there are no non-essential doctrines. And they might be right. The very idea of non-essential doctrines seems like a good way for Evangelicals to believe whatever they want about certain things, whether it is the truth or not.

As an Evangelical, I really don't like the designation of certain doctrines non-essential just because there is so much disagreement on them. This is an extremely slippery slope.

cybershark5886 said:
What is your stand on this? Do you recognize that there are non-essential doctrines, and that lingering over some of those can lead to bickering and unnecessary division in the Church? ...
There really are some things just not worth debating over again and again. Don't you agree?

I believe that there is a point where the bickering and unnecessary divisions can reach a point where we can begin to push people away from the church, and away from God.

We need to learn when to stop. Let the seeds that we have planted have a chance to sprout, take root and grow. I recently heard a sermon on reaping and sowing, where the speaker talked about planting a seed, going out the next day and digging it up to see if it had grown any. The endless debates seem to be about as productive.

We need to learn to be gracious. Jesus was not 'crammed' down my throat, neither have I ever come to believe any particular doctrine from being badgered into belief. (Believe me, if cramming Jesus down someone's throat worked~ I would be doing that)

We forget that it is God that gives the increase. Even more so we forget the possibility that on any of the doctrines that go back and forth like ping~pong balls just maybe the other person is right.

As an Evangelical, I really don't like the designation of certain doctrines non-essential just because there is so much disagreement on them. This is an extremely slippery slope.

I certainly understand the angle you are coming from on this, but let me elaborate on where I was going with that. As an example say my Pentecostal brother and I do not agree on the gift of tongues and how it should be used. In the end we may not agree, he may speak in tongues and I may not, but I don't believe that if we both go away from the arguement disagreeing that one of us will have our salvation effected as a result of being wrong (and no matter how much we dislike it no one is without some amount of ignorance to the depth of the Bible's doctrines - no one has "perfect understanding"). I deem the issue of tongues "non-essential" to salvation and eternal life - which is what will ultimately matter in eternity. The gift of tongues will pass away like every other gift at the coming of God's kingdom. But I don't find an agreement on it necessary to obtain or maintain one's salvation. This is the sense in which I have employed the term "non-essential".

~Josh

cybershark5886 said:
I certainly understand the angle you are coming from on this, but let me elaborate on where I was going with that. As an example say my Pentecostal brother and I do not agree on the gift of tongues and how it should be used. In the end we may not agree, he may speak in tongues and I may not, but I don't believe that if we both go away from the arguement disagreeing that one of us will have our salvation effected as a result of being wrong (and no matter how much we dislike it no one is without some amount of ignorance to the depth of the Bible's doctrines - no one has "perfect understanding"). I deem the issue of tongues "non-essential" to salvation and eternal life - which is what will ultimately matter in eternity. The gift of tongues will pass away like every other gift at the coming of God's kingdom. But I don't find an agreement on it necessary to obtain or maintain one's salvation. This is the sense in which I have employed the term "non-essential".

~Josh

Josh
I agree with your post 100%....Which is the reason my list is short....

Back