Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Excelsior!

WalterandDebbie

CF Ambassador
Sabbath Overseer
Wednesday 9-4-24 4th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Av 30 5784 77th Summer Day

Today's Devotional

Read: Philippians 3:12-21 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 143-145; 1 Corinthians 14:21-40

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14 esv

Sometimes surprisingly spiritual messages turn up in unexpected places, like in a comic book, for example. Marvel Comics publisher Stan Lee passed away in 2018, leaving behind a legacy of such iconic heroes as Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Fantastic Four, the Hulk, and many others.

The famously smiling man with sunglasses had a personal catchphrase that he used to sign off in monthly columns in Marvel comics for decades—the word excelsior. In a 2010 tweet, Lee explained its meaning: “ ‘Upward and onward to greater glory!’ That’s what I wish you whenever I finish tweeting! Excelsior!

I like that. Whether Stan Lee realized it or not, his use of this unusual catchphrase certainly resonates with what Paul wrote in Philippians as he admonished believers to look not behind but ahead—and up: “But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (3:13-14 esv).

We can easily become entangled in regrets or second-guessing past decisions. But in Christ, we’re invited to relinquish regrets and to press upward and onward to God’s greater glory through embracing the forgiveness and purpose He so graciously gives us! Excelsior!
Why do you tend to look forward or backward in your life and in your faith? How can you let go of past mistakes and move forward?
Heavenly Father, thank You for forgiveness.

Thank You that You invite me to move forward, upward, and onward for Your glory.
Learn how forgiveness can help you move forward.

INSIGHT​

Paul is driven by his urgent passion “to know Christ” (Philippians 3:10). He wants to “know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection” (vv. 10-11). Being transformed to be like the resurrected Christ requires us to pursue that goal with everything we have (vv. 13-14, 17).

Yet even as we “press on toward the goal” (v. 14), we know it’s only possible through complete reliance on God, who will one day resurrect believers to finally reflect Christ perfectly (v. 21).

By Adam Holz|September 4th, 2024

Love, Walter And Debbie

Back