Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross

RBDERRICK

Supporter
First let's dismiss what is not the Jesus' finished work on the cross:

1 Peter{1:3} Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Since only by His resurrection Jesus Christ saves and justifies them that believe, His work of saving and justifying the ungodly cannot be only by His death at the cross.

Rom 10:9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

The faith that saves by Jesus Christ, is not beleiving in His death on a cross by the hands of men, but believing in His resurrection from the dead by the power of God.

Since it's not the salvation and justification of believers that Jesus accomplishes at the cross, then what is the work accomplished by Jesus Christ on the cross?

1Pe 1:10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

Luk 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory? And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Jesus' work finished on the cross, was to fulfill all the prophecies of the promised Christ suffering unto death, which included the meek and righteous way He suffered on a cross.

Isa 53:7He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

Isa 53:3He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

1 Pe 2:22Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth. Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:

Act 2:23Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

The determined will of God was not only for the Son to submit to wicked hands, but especially to do so meekly as a lamb to the slaughter, not opening His mouth in defence, nor for mercy, nor reviling them that reviled Him.

The work of the Son on the cross was obeying the Father in all things perfectly in life and in death, without any sin of disobedience.

Isaiah{50:5} The Lord GOD hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back. {50:6} I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.

Psa 22:16For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

That perfect work of Jesus' obedience to the Father at the cross, thus included suffering the sinful stripes and smitings and piercings of sinful men, without a word of protest nor pity nor wrath.

What then did Jesus' perfect work finished on the cross accomplish?

Isa 53:4Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

Rom{11:32} For God hath concluded them all in unbelief...

At the cross of Jesus Christ, both accusers and disciples, were decieved to believe Jesus was guilty of the sin of blasphemy calling Himself the Son of God in the flesh. And so they all esteemed Him as justly cursed and smitten of God.

However, that is not all that was accomplished by Jesus' perfect sacrifice to the Father's will, but also all the world of sinners should be condemned with them at the cross.

Isa 53:6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

1 Pe 2:23 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree...

Not only the sinners laying hands on the Son at the cross, are guilty of His shed blood, but our iniquities against Christ also are imputed upon His body.

Scripture concludes by the law of shedding the innocent blood of the Son of man upon the earth, that all that sin upon the earth are made guilty of laying the wicked stripes upon His back, and piercing His hands and feet:

Deu 19:9That innocent blood be not shed in thy land, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance, and so blood be upon thee.

Rom 3:19Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

The finished work of Christ on the cross, was perfect obedience to the Father in submission to sinners, which accomplished the righteous judgment of God upon all sinners being made guilty by law of His death, so that at the cross all who sin are concluded with unbelief in Jesus Christ the Son of God.

The question is why condemn all sinners on earth by law, so that none are innocent of the Son's blood, the Jew first and also the Gentile,

Gal 3:22But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Rom{11:32} For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

That the Son by resurrection from the dead, may be a merciful Lord unto all that repent for His mercies sake, the Jew first and also the Gentile.

The Son obeyed the Father to have the sins of all men laid upon His back at the cross, that the resurrected Son might be merciful and deliver from all sins laid at His feet.

Psa 110:1The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Back