Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Gentiles given truth & worshipping on the Sabbath foretold.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

reddogs

When Jesus customarily went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, he didn't go as a Jew, on behalf of the Jewish nation, but as the Son of man, as the second Adam, representing the entire race to God. Here is Jesus at Nazareth...
Luke 4:14-21
14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all.
16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

This particular Sabbath Day, Jesus declared Himself to be, the long awaited for Messiah to Israel according to the prophecies in Isaiah. But the prophecies also show that He would give the light to the Gentiles as well.

Acts 13:42-44
42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Many see that the verses in Acts 13:42-44 confirm the truth, that Gentiles after their conversion to Christ, kept the Seventh Day holy. But many take for granted the surrounding verses referenced from the prophecies of Isaiah to show that it was foretold of the Gentiles worshipping on the Sabbath after Messiah had brought His Salvation. This event was in fulfillment of many Old Testament prophecies, for example:

Isaiah 49:6-9
6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.
7 Thus saith the Lord, the Redeemer of Israel, and his Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nation abhorreth, to a servant of rulers, Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship, because of the Lord that is faithful, and the Holy One of Israel, and he shall choose thee.
8 Thus saith the Lord, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;
9 That thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go forth; to them that are in darkness, Shew yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in all high places.

Clearly, Jesus desired His gospel to go out to all nations, including Gentiles, because both Jews and Greeks are non-existent in Christ.

Ephesians 2:11-22
11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

When Jesus customarily went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, he didn't go as a Jew, on behalf of the Jewish nation, but as the Son of man, as the second Adam, representing the entire race to God. Here is Jesus at Nazareth...

Of course he went as a Jew.
His mother was a Jew; his (earthly) father was a Jew.
He kept the Jewish Law perfectly and that included keeping the Sabbath.

14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

This particular Sabbath Day, Jesus declared Himself to be, the long awaited for Messiah to Israel according to the prophecies in Isaiah. But the prophecies also show that He would give the light to the Gentiles as well.

42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Many see that the verses in Acts 13:42-44 confirm the truth, that Gentiles after their conversion to Christ, kept the Seventh Day holy. But many take for granted the surrounding verses referenced from the prophecies of Isaiah to show that it was foretold of the Gentiles worshipping on the Sabbath after Messiah had brought His Salvation. This event was in fulfillment of many Old Testament prophecies, for example:

Those gentiles that were in the synagogue were a very specific group of gentiles, not representaive of gentiles in general. They were "god-fearers". Paul starts his oration in Acts 13:16 “Men of Israel, and you that fear God, listen".
God-fearers were gentiles who were in the process of converting to Judaism but had not yet been circumcised. They kept the Jewish feasts (rather like Cornelius). Of course they went to the synagogue on the Sabbath to hear Paul speak again, and brought many more to hear Paul. But the rest didn't come to keep the sabbath but to hear Paul.

6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.
7 Thus saith the Lord, the Redeemer of Israel, and his Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nation abhorreth, to a servant of rulers, Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship, because of the Lord that is faithful, and the Holy One of Israel, and he shall choose thee.
8 Thus saith the Lord, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;
9 That thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go forth; to them that are in darkness, Shew yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in all high places.

Clearly, Jesus desired His gospel to go out to all nations, including Gentiles, because both Jews and Greeks are non-existent in Christ.

11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

None of that says anything about gentiles keeping the sabbath.

Well lets look closer at what Jesus was reading about..
Luke 4:15-21

We see it was this in Isaiah..
Isaiah 61:1-3
1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.

You see that this is what Jesus quoted in Luke 4:16 on the Sabbath, proclaiming Himself as the Messiah. Notice the reference to the opening of the prison, it was not just to the Jews. The deliverance to the captives, and liberty to them that are bruised was to be preached to the Gentiles not to just Jews but all those captive and bound by sin. These Messianic verses clearly point to the fact that Jesus came to benefit the Gentiles as well as Jews, but that He would rule them as their God, and they as His people, obedient to His law.

We see even more in Isaiah...
Isaiah 56:1-7

1 Thus saith the Lord, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed.
2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.
3 Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying, The Lord hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
4 For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.
6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;
7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

We see that it not just the Jews but "for all people", and Christ confirms this even in the NT..
Mark 11:17
And he taught, saying unto them, Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Well lets look closer at what Jesus was reading about..
Luke 4:15-21

We see it was this in Isaiah..
Isaiah 61:1-3
1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.

You see that this is what Jesus quoted in Luke 4:16 on the Sabbath, proclaiming Himself as the Messiah. Notice the reference to the opening of the prison, it was not just to the Jews. The deliverance to the captives, and liberty to them that are bruised was to be preached to the Gentiles not to just Jews but all those captive and bound by sin. These Messianic verses clearly point to the fact that Jesus came to benefit the Gentiles as well as Jews, but that He would rule them as their God, and they as His people, obedient to His law.

We see even more in Isaiah...
Isaiah 56:1-7

1 Thus saith the Lord, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed.
2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.
3 Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying, The Lord hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
4 For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.
6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;
7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

We see that it not just the Jews but "for all people", and Christ confirms this even in the NT..
Mark 11:17
And he taught, saying unto them, Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Isaiah is OT and speaking to Jews and those living in the land not gentiles in general.
Mk 11:17 doesn't mention sabbath. The house of prayer for all nations is fulfilled in the NT by the Church, the household of God (Eph 2:19).

Isaiah is OT and speaking to Jews and those living in the land not gentiles in general.
Mk 11:17 doesn't mention sabbath. The house of prayer for all nations is fulfilled in the NT by the Church, the household of God (Eph 2:19).
So its not part of Gods Word? Satan is delighted when those who say they believe discard the inspired word.

If we are to keep the sabbath, aren't we also supposed to keep circumcision ?
And how about feast keeping ?
Temple services ?
The priesthood ?
What is the distance we can walk on the sabbath ?

Christians are free from the Law of the Jews.

Hey All,
Reddogs, please reconcile your position with what Paul wrote in Romans 14.

Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Is this not truth?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

If we are to keep the sabbath, aren't we also supposed to keep circumcision ?
And how about feast keeping ?
Temple services ?
The priesthood ?
What is the distance we can walk on the sabbath ?

Christians are free from the Law of the Jews.
But not of the Law of God written with His own finger, we need to see and understand this truth...

I'm pretty sure Jesus made fun of them and all their laws. Their laws and Christ's laws, which were God's 10 Commandments, were totally different.

If Jesus was one of them, why did He show so much disdain for them and all their ways and publicly humiliate them every public encounter He had with them?

It just doesn't make sense is all. I've wondered this since my very first read through the Gospels. Didn't they kill Him because of what He was teaching and doing?

I'm pretty sure Jesus made fun of them and all their laws. Their laws and Christ's laws, which were God's 10 Commandments, were totally different.

If Jesus was one of them, why did He show so much disdain for them and all their ways and publicly humiliate them every public encounter He had with them?

It just doesn't make sense is all. I've wondered this since my very first read through the Gospels. Didn't they kill Him because of what He was teaching and doing?
Because they were not following what Christ had written on the tablets, thus when He explained it to them many hardened their hearts against Him as we see today..

Those gentiles that were in the synagogue were a very specific group of gentiles, not representaive of gentiles in general. They were "god-fearers". Paul starts his oration in Acts 13:16 “Men of Israel, and you that fear God, listen".
God-fearers were gentiles who were in the process of converting to Judaism but had not yet been circumcised. They kept the Jewish feasts (rather like Cornelius). Of course they went to the synagogue on the Sabbath to hear Paul speak again, and brought many more to hear Paul. But the rest didn't come to keep the sabbath but to hear Paul.

None of that says anything about gentiles keeping the sabbath.
So should we follow His example...

Greetings reddogs,
Because they were not following what Christ had written on the tablets, thus when He explained it to them many hardened their hearts against Him as we see today.
So should we follow His example.
Christ is the True Sabbath Rest Matthew 11:25-30, Hebrews 4.

2 Corinthians 3:1–18 (KJV): 1 Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you? 2 Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: 3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. 4 And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: 5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. 7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: 8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? 9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory. 10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth. 11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.
12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech: 13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: 14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. 15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. 16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. 17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

SDAs are clinging on to the Old Covenant, written on stones.

Kind regards
Trevor

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back