Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Global Warming Activists Have A Humble Ally

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Mike S

The Dung Beetle Is a Climate Change Hero - http://www.wunderground.com/news/can-dung-beetles-fight-climate-change-study-says-yes-20130827

If humans one day are able to bring greenhouse gas emissions under control and forestall the worst impacts of global warming, they may have an unlikely hero to thank.

The lowly dung beetle, which feeds on animal feces and is found on every continent save Antarctica, helps reduce the amount of methane released into the atmosphere from farms by doing what it does best -- burrowing into cow patties and other animal droppings.

That makes it a surprisingly effective weapon in the battle against climate change, notes a study released this month in the science journal PLOS ONE, because methane is one of the most potent of the heat-trapping greenhouse gases.
"We believe that these beetles exert much of their impact by simply digging around in the dung," said Atte Penttilä, a masters student at the University of Helsinki and one of the study's co-authors, in a press release.

"Methane is primarily born under anaerobic conditions, and the tunneling by beetles seems to aerate the pats," he added. "This will have a major impact on how carbon escapes from cow pats into the atmosphere."

Agriculture -- and cattle farming for meat and milk in particular -- is one of the biggest sources of man-made greenhouse gas emissions worldwide, accounting for between "35 to 50 percent of extremely potent methane," notes the Atlantic magazine. This makes the dung beetle's ability to scrub the air clean of at least some of these emissions an unexpected gift.

The discovery came after the study's scientists (from Oxford University and the University of Helsinki) collected cow patty samples from fields in northern Europe and placed beetles alongside them in rows of containers, to measure the vapors they released.

After several weeks, their results were conclusive: "The manure without beetles in it produced higher amounts of methane -- on one special day, as much as five times what wafted off the insect-loaded dung," the Atlantic reports.
The results were encouraging but also worrying, explained Tomas Roslin, the head of the research team. "If the beetles can keep those methane emissions down, well then we should obviously thank them -- and make sure to include them in our calculations of overall climatic effects of dairy and beef farming," he said.

The below quote comes from the article and is best left unedited:

... The dung was collected from a herd of some twenty heads of Ayrshire cattle, all adult dairy cows.

They collected dung from the heads? :shocked!

Must be the Euro way??

All seriousness aside, thank you kindly for the very interesting article, Mark. I like positive spin on things.

So there are dung beetles on all continents except Antarctica. But yet we have methane from cattle dung contributing to global warming. So obviously we don't have enough dung beetles. Does that mean they will have to multiply dung beetles and deliberately use them on all farms? In other words, would the consequence of those findings be for farmers to release additional dung beetles onto their farms?
I can totally see the EU making a law for all farmers to use dung beetles. They make laws for all kinds of crap anyway. :lol

The below quote comes from the article and is best left unedited:

... The dung was collected from a herd of some twenty heads of Ayrshire cattle, all adult dairy cows.

They collected dung from the heads? :shocked!

Must be the Euro way??

All seriousness aside, thank you kindly for the very interesting article, Mark. I like positive spin on things.

Wouldn't surprise me. A while ago I came across a publication of some Australian scientists who had observed certain insects make love to empty beer bottles because the were mistaking them for females. We can suspect it was the scientists themselves who'd emptied the beer bottles during a weekend camping drip, discovered and photographed the sexually misguided insect males, and then, while still under the biochemical influence of their beers, made a bet about whether or not they get that stuff published in a peer reviewed journal. They could and won the an ig-noble prize for it in 2011.
Scientists do all kinds of silliness. Some of them behave like big children in lab coats, but unlike children they will not get punished for making mischief; they will get paid for it. :lol
Wouldn't be surprised if some scientist would put cow dung on heads. :lol

"Oh, don't get me started," he sighs...

That same quote goes on to describe cow diets and other "standards" for the testing. Seemed fairly rigorous to me. Well, until I read the below (also unedited):

All dung was manually homogenized before partitioning into experimental pats.

:chin Huh? What was that?

Scientists do all kinds of silliness. Some of them behave like big children in lab coats, but unlike children they will not get punished for making mischief; they will get paid for it.

shhhhh-smiley-emoticon.gif

Not some of us. All of us. Why do you think we do it? Most of us were overjoyed to learn that we could actually get paid for doing that stuff.

Scientists do all kinds of silliness. Some of them behave like big children in lab coats, but unlike children they will not get punished for making mischief; they will get paid for it.

shhhhh-smiley-emoticon.gif

Not some of us. All of us. Why do you think we do it? Most of us were overjoyed to learn that we could actually get paid for doing that stuff.

I can see that. Getting paid to do stuff like that would be the life.

BTW, that insects making love to empty beer bottles thing Claudya mentioned seems a little suspect. A beer bottle is pretty big for most insects, isn't it? I think maybe they're after the residue. But then, maybe it's making whoopie they're after. After all, "beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder." :)

There's an orchid like that. It mimics very well the pheremones and appearance of a certain female beetle. The males emerge in the spring earlier than the females and find the orchids, which get pollinated as a result of the error. Later on, the females emerge and the male beetles, perhaps after slapping their foreheads, do their proper duty.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back