Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Has Anyone Here Ever Made Pemmican?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Edward

2024 Supporter
I have made jerky lots of times but never pemmican. I want to try n make some. I ran into a snag. It called for beef tallow and I can't find any locally except Walmarts tiny over priced jars which I wont buy. But I can't even find any beef fat to render down...I guess grocery stores don't have butchers anymore they get the meat already cut and just package it.

So I think I am going to try to make the pemmican with some homemade Ghee. Which is real unsalted butter slow cooked to drive off the water content and it makes it shelf stable. I just learned how to make Ghee and it turned out beautiful.

But not having made pemmican before I am at a loss to know if making it with Ghee is a good idea or not? I'd love any input anyone could chime in with.

My meat is already dried. No jerky marinade or anything, not even salt. My Ghee is ready...but I havent started to make it yet.
I bought a granite Mortar & Pestle to powderize the dried meat. (I've wanted one of these for a long time!)
Any help?
Where's our resident chef? I know he could point me in the right direction...I miss him. :sad

I've just googled it Edward. survivalistboard.com say you can nake it with ghee and that it has a better taste than tallow.

I googled it too and didn't come across that. That's encouraging to me. I read a few comments about it and they pretty much all said, it doesn't taste bad at all but it's ;different' and an aquired taste.

But the important thing is that, from everything I've read it says you can live for years on only pemmican and water. The old mountain men used to live on it, and a lot of indians made it also. So I thought I'd give it a try and make a bunch for the pantry. Just in case in November something terrible happens like a lot of people are saying. But nobody can say exactly what might happen. So it could be election troubles with protester terrorists starting violence (Dems), or some kind of natural catastrophe. Utilities could easily go down and so something with complete nutrition and does not need refrigerated and lasts a long time is a great idea.

With my hurt back, I'm not going to be bugging out. I'll bug in. But I'll need a water source, food, and defense measures (which is mostly the Lord!) We may not have electric or water. Utiities go down fast. One little snow storm or thunderstorm and many times it goes out so I (we) have to be prepared in these ways.

100 years ago they called doing that day to day living. That's the way it was then! I knew these things would be coming even long ago, and when I lived in Colorado, I was very prepared. Overly much. And I think I took it too far and was idolizing the big pile of guns, so the Lord took them all away and pretty much told me I went too far. I prayed about it and asked if I need to prepare at all other than drawing closer to him...and He told me, yes it is good to prepare somewhat, just don't go too far with it. Ok. He also said when I'm prepping foodstuffs and first aid stuff, to stock some extra in expectation of being able to help others. That makes sense.

He also said that it will be tough and we will have to cling to Him. But that, there will be much provision from Him just like in scripture. Manna, food multiplication, translation to safety for some and hiding others, that the enemy will walk right by us and not see us because of His shield...

It never came when I was living in Colorado and no it is upon us and I do not feel so prepared anymore. But I'm not scared either. I hope the pemmican does taste good.

I just ground up the meat into powder in my new Mortar & Pestle. It was quite a bit cheaper than a food processor and doesn't need electric.

I haven't made it yet though. I think I'll need more Ghee. But not tonight. I'll make some tomorrow. I found a different recipe than I found the other day. That one said do NOT use any salt or spices. And todays recipe said use salt n pepper. So I'll see how bland it is without it and make more soon with powdered spices salt n such to see if it's good.

I just ground up the meat into powder in my new Mortar & Pestle. It was quite a bit cheaper than a food processor and doesn't need electric.

I haven't made it yet though. I think I'll need more Ghee. But not tonight. I'll make some tomorrow. I found a different recipe than I found the other day. That one said do NOT use any salt or spices. And todays recipe said use salt n pepper. So I'll see how bland it is without it and make more soon with powdered spices salt n such to see if it's good.
interesting thread - thanks so much -

it is best to get fat and render it or get suet from the butcher - the fat content is extremely important if pemican is all you are eating - it satiates hunger - fat is filled with nutrients - way more than butter - it lasts longer in a vacuum pack because it is not a dairy product - dairy tends to spoil - suet or rendered fat does not

don;t add any kind of sugar - wine - berries - soy sauce - etc - the pemmican may be susceptible to spoilage if you do

storing in a cool place will make it last longer

It has to be meat for the protein. I didn't add any berries or anything like that. I did add pepper to it but no saly. It tastes exactly like was said it would. It basically flavorless but not bad.

That's good info about fat. I guess I'll find me a butcher shop locally. Thanks.

it lasts longer in a vacuum pack because it is not a dairy product - dairy tends to spoil - suet or rendered fat does not

That's part of the reason that clarified butter is used. Not only is the water content driven off in the cooking process but it releases the milk solids also. Any milk solids residue left over were filtered out with cheese cloth. So essentially it is not a dairy product anymore. I read that pemmican made with ghee has a reasonable shelf life of 30 years.

I don't think we have 30 years left on this planet before Jesus returns so it should be fine, lol! Nevertheless I am going to search out a butcher and get some animal fat and render it down. The Ghee tastes pretty good. Better than normal butter. I think my first try at pemmican was a success. But of course I think I will be able to do it even better as I try it different ways.

I need to buy a lot more meat I think. Some recipes I read said to use organ meat too, but...That doesn't sound too appealing right now. The good thing about making jerky & pemmican is that you can use cheap cuts of meat. It don't have to turn out tender. It wont.

Back