Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Heart of The Earth

The "Heart of the Earth" that is mentioned in Mat12:40 is where ?

• The tomb where Jesus was placed .

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Where the "spirits in prison" were in 1Peter3:19 .

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Both the tomb and where the "spirits in prison" were .

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure .

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hawkman

Pentecostal
Staff member
Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

1Peter3
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

1Peter3
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

I've yet to encounter anyone who took position it was merely the tomb be able to interpret and explain the 1st Peter 3 passage adequately. Instead I've gotten dodges every time, including from men who were fairly well versed in their theology and could go on for hours about other matters of faith.

The orthodox position is the correct one, and those who discard early church tradition not only distort the meaning of the text but a whole host of other passages on this subject as well.

Early church tradition certainly holds significant value in shaping our understanding of scripture. It provides us with insights from those who lived closer to the time of the text's composition and can offer valuable context. However, it is also essential to recognize that interpretation is an ongoing process, and diverse perspectives can contribute to a more comprehensive understanding of God's Word.

I've kinda learned this when I was exploring various interpretations and engaging in meaningful discussions about faith, I first started off with, Empowering Spiritual Resources: Christian Tools for Manifestation, Connection, and Divine Guidance which helped me understand up to like 70% of the interpretation
I've yet to encounter anyone who took position it was merely the tomb be able to interpret and explain the 1st Peter 3 passage adequately. Instead I've gotten dodges every time, including from men who were fairly well versed in their theology and could go on for hours about other matters of faith.

The orthodox position is the correct one, and those who discard early church tradition not only distort the meaning of the text but a whole host of other passages on this subject as well.

Early church tradition certainly holds significant value in shaping our understanding of scripture. It provides us with insights from those who lived closer to the time of the text's composition and can offer valuable context. However, it is also essential to recognize that interpretation is an ongoing process, and diverse perspectives can contribute to a more comprehensive understanding of God's Word.

I've kinda learned this when I was exploring various interpretations and engaging in meaningful discussions about faith, I first started off with, Empowering Spiritual Resources: Christian Tools for Manifestation, Connection, and Divine Guidance which helped me understand up to like 70% of the interpretation

Ok...

If I were being honest, I'd say that appears to be a bit of a plug. :)

But about your statement that it's an ongoing process, my personal opinion is that it's more of a restoration of original NT teachings. I think a number of things started getting lost fairly quickly, and increasingly as time went on, as professional-style orators and rhetoricians took over leadership positions in the church. So for my part, I think the church is in an ongoing process of returning to true New Testament teaching.

But I appreciate the response, and welcome to Christian Forums.

Back