Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Honoring the weaker vessel

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

lovely

1 Peter 3

1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
2 While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
5 For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:
6 Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.
7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

I highlighted a part of this verse concerning honoring a wife, as honoring a weaker vessel, and as heirs together in the grace of life...that our prayers be not hindered.

Concerning leadership of the home, the husband should be honored by the wife...as Sarah called Abraham lord, but I wonder about the wives being honored as the weaker vessel and what that means. I believe if a husband hears his wife, and her needs, then he can make good decisions on the things the home can bear. I think this instruction to the husband may be very important in his leading...notice the last part, "that your prayers be not hindered." I am wondering what others believe about this topic, and how it relates to a wife's ability to submit to her head through God's grace?

The Lord bless all of you.

As a woman, I must say that a woman would have no trouble submitting to her husband if he honors his part of the command: respect her. In other words, listen to her, let her help make the decisions, don't make decisions without consulting her. If a husband is disrespectful to his wife, then why should she submit to him?

The biggest command for a Husband is to love his wife just like Jesus loves His Church.

May God bless, Golfjack

I honor my wife, the weaker vessel. That is to say she is the weaker vessel until I tick her off, then she becomes the stronger one and decks me out (or I sleep in the shed). :-D

Every married person within his/her unity has to determine as a couple what the Spirit of Christ would have them do to represent godly headship within their marriages... without negating idvidual spiritual freedom in Christ.

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure if this thread would even have a response. I'm not usually too great at starting topics, but I wanted to begin a few.

I think that men should be leading their families as God intended, and that would make it easier for their wives to submit...maybe. However, Sarah submitted even when Abraham was asking her to lie. I think that God honors women, and protects them more, when they are being obedient to Him, and trusting Him to work things out...even in spite of their husbands at times. Husbands are fallible. God commands us to submit...that's enough for us to do it, because He commands it. The second thing is, though, the Scripture teaches that he may (maybe) could be won without a word, but by her conduct. If a woman is married to an unbeliever her obedience is her best witness to him.

I think as the weaker vessel, though, she is valuable to her husband because she sort of acts as a "can the family carry the load" meter. If a husband decides he is going to college to get his masters, but his wife is sick, and maybe has small children, and lets him know that she is unable to bear it, then he can make a wiser decision about the situation...hiring help, waiting a while, or other such solutions.

Certainly God gave a wife to be one with him...heirs in grace together so that their prayers are not hindered. She helps him spiritually (not just in working with him...which is also part of it), because she herself is also led by the Spirit, and the Holy Spirit can work through them both. I think the Proverbs 31 woman must have been a great manager of her home (even though she was a weaker vessel), and her husband knew her gifts...to the point of her purchasing land even...his heart safely trusted in her. If we, as couples, are first heirs together, then we are able to follow God's will in a greater way, and our prayers are not hindered.

Jack, your are so right, a husband is commanded to love his wife...and a wife to honor her husband. Interesting that God chose our weakest points, and then commanded us to do them. Christ loves His church, intercedes for her, protects her, leads her, and gave his life for her...tall order.

Christine, I think that we should obey because God commands us to, and ultimately trust Him...easier said than done, though.

Tim, I hope you have a heater, or air conditioner, in your shed. :-D

Destiny, I know that you and I kinda agree on this topic, and maybe kinda don't. Maybe we agree, but our emphasis is different, or our application? I'm not sure, or I can't remember. Either way, I think your statement is correct...I think that we should follow God's commands, and our methods should be (will be) worked out as a couple...they will also change as a couple...but it should never be a situation where our spiritual freedom in Christ is compromised, or that one gender is considered unequal, or where we are out and out disobeying God's Word on the matter...man or woman. Different in role, but not in value. I think we would agree on that.

The Lord bless all of you, and thanks for the responses.

Destiny, I know that you and I kinda agree on this topic, and maybe kinda don't. Maybe we agree, but our emphasis is different, or our application? I'm not sure, or I can't remember. Either way, I think your statement is correct...I think that we should follow God's commands, and our methods should be (will be) worked out as a couple...they will also change as a couple...but it should never be a situation where our spiritual freedom in Christ is compromised, or that one gender is considered unequal, or where we are out and out disobeying God's Word on the matter...man or woman. Different in role, but not in value. I think we would agree on that.
lovely, I will say I hate to see a woman 'ruleing over' a man or visa versa if the man is trying to take the place of Jesus by using control and domination.
I think it's something for the couple to work out in a way that honors God as a couple. Some men might prefer more decision making from the wife, and some might like to work things out together, while some men will make the decisions with the wives blessing.
I think if the husband is loving the wife like Christs church then mutual respect won't be a burden because "His yoke is easy".
I don't ever like to see a woman ruleing over her husband and him being a doormat in a marriage. That isn't Gods divine order at all.

Destiny,

I absolutely agree with your post, and I think this is where our personalities and gifts really come in to play in our marriages as individuals, and as a couple. I didn't mean to indicate that you believed nothing less that what Scripture teaches, btw. I know that you believe in God's divine order. I never doubted it, my sister. :biggrin

Edited to correct your name destiny...I am staying up way too late on this board lately.

Tim, I hope you have a heater, or air conditioner, in your shed.

No, but I love her anyway. :biggrin She's the church treasurer and a very Godly woman; so if I'm in the doghouse so-to-speak, it really is my fault! (c.f Proverbs 31:10-31 describes my wife)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back