Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] How It's Made.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Since nobody can go back in time to observe the first bacteria flagellur motor, the term "fact" doesn't apply.

The intermediates can still be found in various living organisms. Reality is about as factual as you can get.

I also think it's a bit hasty to call other bacteria flagellum "intermediates", these are organelles not species.

They are intermediate between very simple structures like the Type III secretory apparatus, and more sophisticated examples. So yes, intermediate.

I would also add because other proteins in the bacteria flagellur system exist is no challenge to irreducible complexity.

A deathblow as far as IC in flagella. If simpler intermediates exist, it's clear that none of them are IC.

In order to catch a mouse, a mousetrap needs a platform, spring, hammer, holding bar, and catch.

Nope. Take off the catch and stick the trigger into the wood slightly. Still works. Not only that, but a simplified mouse trap can serve other functions with still more things removed. So exaption takes out the notion of an IC mousetrap.

Now, suppose you wanted to make a mousetrap. In your garage you might have a piece of wood from an old Popsicle stick (for the platform), a spring from an old wind-up clock, a piece of metal (for the hammer) in the form of a crowbar, a darning needle for the holding bar, and a bottle cap that you fancy to use as a catch. But these pieces, even though they have some vague similarity to the pieces of a working mousetrap, in fact are not matched to each other and couldn't form a functioning mousetrap without extensive modification. All the while the modification was going on, they would be unable to work as a mousetrap.

But, as the flagellum makes clear, individual pieces could be used for other things, and then combined to a new function. As the research cited makes clear, that's what happened in the case of the flagellum.

The fact that they were used in other roles (as a crowbar, in a clock, etc.) does not help them to be part of a mousetrap.

Notice that it does. And in the case of the flagellum, there are even examples still in existence.

Dr. Behe makes a good point, producing (not hypothesizing) a bacteria flagellur motor by Darwinian process would disprove irreducible complexity.

Which is why no one takes the "IC flagellum" story seriously any more. His "irreducibly complex clotting cascade" turned out to be not so, either.

Time hasn't been kind to ID.

Comparing the bacteria flagellur motor with a the type three secretion system (TTSS), is like comparing a radial airplane engine propeller (flagellur motor) with a machete (TTSS) just because they "look" similar.

The TTSS itself is irreducible complex. It acts as a probe and a pump. The function of the TTSS is to prey upon eukaryotes, which came later. So which came first the system to propel the bacteria or the probe for a non-existent prey?

People can imagine simpler mouse traps but that has nothing to do with the irreducible complexity of the bacteria flagellur system.
It's irreducible complexity has already been proven by Scott Minnich's experiments. He knocked out parts of the system and it failed.

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2006/10/response_to_barbara_forrests_k_7002560.html
Scott Minnich showed slides in the courtroom documenting his own research experiments, which performed knockout experiments upon the flagellum, and found that the flagellum is irreducibly complex. Minnich produced relevant experimental data which confirmed a prediction made by intelligent design, and he used this research to support intelligent design in the courtroom. - See more at: http://www.evolutionnews.org/2006/1..._forrests_k_7002560.html#sthash.IcJ2EzFf.dpuf

Comparing the bacteria flagellur motor with a the type three secretion system (TTSS), is like comparing a radial airplane engine propeller (flagellur motor) with a machete (TTSS) just because they "look" similar.

More like comparing 49 and 50 Fords, because they have many of the same parts.

The TTSS itself is irreducible complex.

Type I:
150px-T1SS.svg.png

Type II:
150px-T2SS.svg.png

Type III:
150px-T3SS.svg.png

Type IV:
150px-T4SS.svg.png

Surprise. One of a series of different kinds with differing degrees of complexity. Not irreducibly complex at all.

It acts as a probe and a pump. The function of the TTSS is to prey upon eukaryotes, which came later. So which came first the system to propel the bacteria or the probe for a non-existent prey?

Notice it shares parts and functions with other systems that are dedicated to eukaryotes.

People can imagine simpler mouse traps

And use them to catch mice. It was a bad idea, that's all.

but that has nothing to do with the irreducible complexity of the bacteria flagellur system.

Nothing has anything to do with something that doesn't exist.

It's irreducible complexity has already been proven by Scott Minnich's experiments. He knocked out parts of the system and it failed.

If you pull a single stone out of a Roman arch, it wall all fall down. This proves, by Minnich's logic, that all the stones in a Roman arch were inserted instantly at the same time. Or maybe he's missing something...? :yes

More like comparing 49 and 50 Fords, because they have many of the same parts.

It would probably be more like comparing the fuel injection with the whole engine. The The bacteria flagellum is made from more than 50 genes, 10 of those genes are found on a plasmid, which make the type 3 secretion system.
One explanation, the one Miller asserts, is the flagellum evolved from the type three secretion system. The problem with that is it ignores the type three secretion system is for infecting eukarotes, while the flagellum is for motility in water. Water has been around much longer than eukarotes. At best it could be said it is one possible step but nowhere near a complete evolutionary path.
Another explanation, is the type three secretion system arose from the flagellum. The genes to make the type three secretion system are found large virile plasmids. By contrast the flagellur genes are not found on plasmids and there is no evidence of horizontal transfer. It's more likely the flagellum existed from the beginning, since it provides motility in water, and the TTSS was an adaptation from a horizintal gene transfer after eukaryotes arose.

Surprise. One of a series of different kinds with differing degrees of complexity. Not irreducibly complex at all.

Why should that be surprising that there's several types of secretion systems? There is no evolutionary relationship between those types, it's like saying we have types of limbs or digits.
I mentioned irreducible complexity in the type thre secretion system because it functions as a sensor, a gate, and a pump. Although little is known about these functions, so it may be premature of me to call it IC.

If you pull a single stone out of a Roman arch, it wall all fall down. This proves, by Minnich's logic, that all the stones in a Roman arch were inserted instantly at the same time. Or maybe he's missing something...? :yes

The example of the Roman arch implies there is scaffolding necessary to build an arch. They knew what they wanted to build. They had an end in mind. They built scaffolding necessary to achieve that goal.
The Roaman arch is an example of intellignt design.
Natural selection doesn't have a "goal" in mind, it selects functional systems over non-fuctional systems. There are no functional precursors to the bacteria flagellum. Innovations or new functions have to exist in order to be selected. Natural selection doesn't pick things based on what they might do or could be or might eventually function.
Exaption is like saying a cell had a goal in mind and built a new system by modifying other available parts. That minimal function isn't necessary for each step or that one big step happened where several parts mutated all at the same time. We have to imagine several mutations at once, or imagine natural selection selecting non-functional systems until a final function system is obtained. I don't find that very convincing. When I see an electric motor, design is very convincing.

It would probably be more like comparing the fuel injection with the whole engine.

Even better. Injection devices preceded fuel injected engines. So they didn't have to be invented all at once.

The The bacteria flagellum is made from more than 50 genes, 10 of those genes are found on a plasmid, which make the type 3 secretion system.

One explanation, the one Miller asserts, is the flagellum evolved from the type three secretion system.

Evidence is important, yes.

The problem with that is it ignores the type three secretion system is for infecting eukarotes, while the flagellum is for motility in water.

Much the way that injectors are for pumping liquid, while engines are for turning driveshafts. And yet...

Water has been around much longer than eukarotes. At best it could be said it is one possible step but nowhere near a complete evolutionary path.

But, as you see, it puts an end to the notion of the "irreducibly complex" bacterial flagellum." But it's not just this particular bit of evidence. There are different levels of complexity in known bacterial flagella, so there is more than one reason we know it's not what Behe assumed it to be.

Even worse, exaption means that irreducible complexity can evolve.

Another explanation, is the type three secretion system arose from the flagellum.

Which would also destroy the idea that the flagellum is irreducibly complex, since an extreme simplification would leave the system still functional.

The genes to make the type three secretion system are found large virile plasmids.

I have a degree in bacteriology, and I've never seen a virile plasmid.

By contrast the flagellur genes are not found on plasmids and there is no evidence of horizontal transfer.

Perhaps you don't know what "plasmid" means.

It's more likely the flagellum existed from the beginning, since it provides motility in water, and the TTSS was an adaptation from a horizintal gene transfer after eukaryotes arose.

As you see, there is no such thing as "the flagellum." There are various levels of complexity in different bacterial flagella. And of course, the simplest level isn't even a flagellum.

Why should that be surprising that there's several types of secretion systems?

And as you see, they aren't irreducibly complex, either.

There is no evolutionary relationship between those types

It would be good if you provided some evidence for that belief.

it's like saying we have types of limbs or digits.

As you know, genetic, anatomical, and fossil evidence show that all tetrapod limbs are homologous, and derive from a common ancestor.

I mentioned irreducible complexity in the type thre secretion system because it functions as a sensor, a gate, and a pump. Although little is known about these functions, so it may be premature of me to call it IC.

Erroneous.

If you pull a single stone out of a Roman arch, it wall all fall down. This proves, by Minnich's logic, that all the stones in a Roman arch were inserted instantly at the same time. Or maybe he's missing something...?

The example of the Roman arch implies there is scaffolding necessary to build an arch.

Would you like some examples of biological scaffolding?

They knew what they wanted to build. They had an end in mind. They built scaffolding necessary to achieve that goal.

It works by natural selection, too.

The Roaman arch is an example of intellignt design.

And the blood clotting system is an example of evolution. Behe himself admits this, now, although he still thinks God isn't sharp enough to do it without stepping in to tinker with it now and then.

The fact is, he's wrong about the clotting cascade being irreducibly complex. Aganthans have a simpler, system; some of the steps are missing.

And very primitive chordates have an even simpler system; their low-pressure circulation can clot (as can ours) by mere protein denaturation, which entangles blood cells and makes a clot. That is generally not adequate for major trauma in humans, but it's why people lacking the usual function don't bleed forever from small cuts.

The scaffolding of an earlier system permitted a more advanced system to evolve.

Natural selection doesn't have a "goal" in mind, it selects functional systems over non-fuctional systems. There are no functional precursors to the bacteria flagellum.

As you learned, there are. And they are themselves completely functional. And of course, the different levels of complexity in bacterial flagella (there is no such thing as "the bacterial flagellum") show that it evolved over time in a series of steps.

Innovations or new functions have to exist in order to be selected.

Yep. But as you learned, exaption can produce new functions without any intent or planning. Would you like to learn how that works?

Natural selection doesn't pick things based on what they might do or could be or might eventually function.

Even Behe admits exaption is a fact.

Exaption is like saying a cell had a goal in mind and built a new system by modifying other available parts.

Nope. That's wrong. Exaption is when a feature evolved for one thing happens to work for something else.

That minimal function isn't necessary for each step or that one big step happened where several parts mutated all at the same time. We have to imagine several mutations at once, or imagine natural selection selecting non-functional systems until a final function system is obtained.

See above. God is a lot smarter than IDers would like Him to be.

But, as you see, it puts an end to the notion of the "irreducibly complex" bacterial flagellum." But it's not just this particular bit of evidence. There are different levels of complexity in known bacterial flagella, so there is more than one reason we know it's not what Behe assumed it to be.

Hi Barbarian!
As far as I know nobody has provided evidence for a complete evolutionary pathway the bacteria flagellum.
The single step that was provided turns out to have more evidence that the type three secretion system came from the bacteria flagellum and not the other way around.

The genes to make the type three secretion system are found large virile plasmids.

I have a degree in bacteriology, and I've never seen a virile plasmid.

I dunno what I was thinking, I must have misspelled virulence and not payed attention to spellcheck. I meant virulence plasmids, which I'm sure you know turn bacteria into a pathogen.

I dunno what I was thinking, I must have misspelled virulence. As in virulence plasmids, which turn bacteria into a pathogen. Since the type three secretion system allows bacteria to prey on eukaryotes

and the Roman arch is an example of intelligent design
And the blood clotting system is an example of evolution. Behe himself admits this, now, although he still thinks God isn't sharp enough to do it without stepping in to tinker with it now and then.

The fact is, he's wrong about the clotting cascade being irreducibly complex. Aganthans have a simpler, system; some of the steps are missing.

And very primitive chordates have an even simpler system; their low-pressure circulation can clot (as can ours) by mere protein denaturation, which entangles blood cells and makes a clot. That is generally not adequate for major trauma in humans, but it's why people lacking the usual function don't bleed forever from small cuts.

Those examples are not part of the irreducible complex system Behe referred to in Darwin's Black Box. There are two pathways to blood clotting that converge and Behe was referring to the what happens after those paths converge. It was that part of the path Behe said was irreducibly complex:

Leaving aside the system before the fork in the pathway, where some details are less well known, the blood-clotting system fits the definition of irreducible complexity. ... The components of the system (beyond the fork in the pathway) are fibrinogen, prothrombin, Stuart factor, and proaccelerin. ... in the absence of any one of the components, blood does not clot, and the system fails. (Michael Behe, Darwin's Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution, pg. 86
Leaving aside the system before the fork in the pathway, where some details are less well known, the blood-clotting system fits the definition of irreducible complexity. ... The components of the system (beyond the fork in the pathway) are fibrinogen, prothrombin, Stuart factor, and proaccelerin. ... in the absence of any one of the components, blood does not clot, and the system fails. (Michael Behe, Darwin's Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution, pg. 86 - See more at: http://www.evolutionnews.org/2008/12/how_kenneth_miller_used_smokea014861.html#sthash.dED0kcfk.dpuf

Unfortunately Miller misrepresented, and misquoted Behe.

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2010/01/misrepresenting_michael_behes031221.html

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2008/12/how_kenneth_miller_used_smokea014861.html

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2008/12/how_kenneth_miller_used_smokea_1014971.html

I want to add this thought, some IDers may take the position if Miller is against ID, I'm against everything he's for. Like if someone is an evolutionist/creationist and I'm not, I might tend to take the oppose position on everything just because I disagree with one thing. I do agree with Miller on this:

He's directly involved with every electron. Why is that so distrurbing?

Miller takes the position "The indeterminate nature of quantum events would allow a clever and subtle God to influence events in ways that are profound, but scientifically undetectable to us." I agree with that. That God is involved with every electron in not disturbing at all. I'd agree those events may even include mutations. But I also think God is not limited to only working in a way that is undetectable to us. When I see a microscopic generator like ATP Synthase, or an electric motor like bacteria flagellum, I think those have the fingerprints of God.

I'm a bit strapped for time today, so I can't respond to all of your post, but we should point out that your source has deliberately misrepresented what Miller wrote about Behe.

Behe listed Factor XII as part of the supposedly "irreducibly complex" clotting system. Without that, our blood won't clot. Problem is, whales don't have it. The guys at your site, faced with a truth that they couldn't find a way around, simply denied it, and accused Miller of making it up. Feel free to look these things up for yourself.

Agnathans only use 6 of the ten found in craniates.

It's telling that these guys will lie, when they get in to difficulties.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back