Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

How open should spouse's be about their struggle with lust?

Me and my wife are barely three months married and we already have encountered a pretty rough difference. I just would like some godly wisdom, and if i'm going about this the right way.

The back story is one evening my wife was pretty anxious, she tends to be an anxious person so I just asked her what was wrong, why wasn't she eating dinner. She refused to tell me, kept persisting saying she just wants to not tell me, and keep it between God. Ok, I dropped it, but she did say that she would eventually tell me. I thought it was odd as she's never had this response to something bugging her.
So I asked her the following night hey what was making you so anxious last night, and she once again got kind of defensive saying why are you so persistent. Some things you should just leave, and I said I don't believe if you are struggling with something so much that it's making you not want to eat dinner and lose your appetite you should keep it from your husband. I just want to pray for you, and i care for you. then I said I'll drop it.

She came back after 5 mintues and said okay i'll tell you. When I was in the store a couple weeks ago, i was wearing tight yoga pants, and she wears a long shirt that covers her butt because she thinks that modest, as do I. But she said she was aware that her shirt was riding up on her, and she intentionally decided to let it ride up for the conscious thought of attracting other men's attention. She said she finally came to senses and thought how wrong that was being a married women, and prayed and really sought god's forgiveness on it. I kind of feel betrayed hearing that, but what makes it worst is the thought process of keeping this hidden. In reality, it's not the end of the world and i would have just appreciated her being honest and open about this so i can pray with her. We are all sinful and have fleshy desires I get it. If she was wide open, I would feel so much better about it vs her opinion that she regrets telling me this now. She thinks struggles with lustful thoughts, or actions shouldn't be shared with me.

I've tried sharing scripture with her, and many points of view from wise counsel, but she has her mother speaking in her ear saying not everything should be shared with your spouse and with struggles like this. She even went to the point of saying that some of these things it's okay to lie to your spouse about, and brought up examples such as the lies told by the Hebrew midwives and Rahab.
midwives lied to Pharaoh to protect Hebrew babies, which likely saved their lives and led to the birth of Moses

Her mother is basically saying she's destroying our marriage if she is open on this subject of struggles with lustful thoughts and actions with your spouse. I don't think is godly wisdom at all, and i think it's creating a wedge between us. She is so hard set on her mother's advice, and alot of times i feel like she puts her mother over me with the amount she runs to her to talk too.

Anyways, any advice would be appreciated on how i go forward with this in a godly way, while still showing grace and love to her even though I heavily disagree with her viewpoint it not being necessary to share with your spouse and keeping this stuff just between you and god. It makes me feel like I can't trust her and that she's not being open to me about her struggles if she ever has them or if things like this happen again. she said she wishes she never shown she was anxious that evening, that way i never asked or knew.

Do you and your wife attend church together ?

Is your wife a Christian ?

When I was in the store a couple weeks ago, i was wearing tight yoga pants, and she wears a long shirt that covers her butt because she thinks that modest, as do I. But she said she was aware that her shirt was riding up on her, and she intentionally decided to let it ride up for the conscious thought of attracting other men's attention.
Did you ask her what she would do with "other men's attention " ?
Anyways, any advice would be appreciated on how i go forward with this in a godly way, while still showing grace and love to her even though I heavily disagree with her viewpoint it not being necessary to share with your spouse and keeping this stuff just between you and god.
You should always show love toward your wife ! ! Do you have any doubts about this ?

Did you and your wife make a commitment to love each each other when you got married ?

Welcome to the forum :Heywlcme .

Do you and your wife attend church together ?

Is your wife a Christian ?

Did you ask her what she would do with "other men's attention " ?

You should always show love toward your wife ! ! Do you have any doubts about this ?

Did you and your wife make a commitment to love each each other when you got married ?

Welcome to the forum :Heywlcme .
Yes me and my wife are both Christian’s and active in the church weekly. She said she wouldn’t do anything with her, that it was a lapse of judgment and just wanted attention from men. No one in particular she claimed.

Yes we did make a commitment, I still love her. Sometimes in back and forth we can get heated and I can show love better of course.

But once again how do we go forward with this big difference of ours? I don’t feel like we are open or can trust her if she’s telling me she’s going to withhold struggles from me.

Yes we did make a commitment,
Go back and look at what your commitments were to each other when you married , both of you together do this .

Do you have a copy of the marriage vows said ?
But once again how do we go forward with this big difference of ours?
Your answer is below :) .
Yes me and my wife are both Christian’s and active in the church weekly.
Go and have a talk with your pastor , that is what he is there for .

Me and my wife are barely three months married and we already have encountered a pretty rough difference. I just would like some godly wisdom, and if i'm going about this the right way.

The back story is one evening my wife was pretty anxious, she tends to be an anxious person so I just asked her what was wrong, why wasn't she eating dinner. She refused to tell me, kept persisting saying she just wants to not tell me, and keep it between God. Ok, I dropped it, but she did say that she would eventually tell me. I thought it was odd as she's never had this response to something bugging her.
So I asked her the following night hey what was making you so anxious last night, and she once again got kind of defensive saying why are you so persistent. Some things you should just leave, and I said I don't believe if you are struggling with something so much that it's making you not want to eat dinner and lose your appetite you should keep it from your husband. I just want to pray for you, and i care for you. then I said I'll drop it.

She came back after 5 mintues and said okay i'll tell you. When I was in the store a couple weeks ago, i was wearing tight yoga pants, and she wears a long shirt that covers her butt because she thinks that modest, as do I. But she said she was aware that her shirt was riding up on her, and she intentionally decided to let it ride up for the conscious thought of attracting other men's attention. She said she finally came to senses and thought how wrong that was being a married women, and prayed and really sought god's forgiveness on it. I kind of feel betrayed hearing that, but what makes it worst is the thought process of keeping this hidden. In reality, it's not the end of the world and i would have just appreciated her being honest and open about this so i can pray with her. We are all sinful and have fleshy desires I get it. If she was wide open, I would feel so much better about it vs her opinion that she regrets telling me this now. She thinks struggles with lustful thoughts, or actions shouldn't be shared with me.

I've tried sharing scripture with her, and many points of view from wise counsel, but she has her mother speaking in her ear saying not everything should be shared with your spouse and with struggles like this. She even went to the point of saying that some of these things it's okay to lie to your spouse about, and brought up examples such as the lies told by the Hebrew midwives and Rahab.
midwives lied to Pharaoh to protect Hebrew babies, which likely saved their lives and led to the birth of Moses

Her mother is basically saying she's destroying our marriage if she is open on this subject of struggles with lustful thoughts and actions with your spouse. I don't think is godly wisdom at all, and i think it's creating a wedge between us. She is so hard set on her mother's advice, and alot of times i feel like she puts her mother over me with the amount she runs to her to talk too.

Anyways, any advice would be appreciated on how i go forward with this in a godly way, while still showing grace and love to her even though I heavily disagree with her viewpoint it not being necessary to share with your spouse and keeping this stuff just between you and god. It makes me feel like I can't trust her and that she's not being open to me about her struggles if she ever has them or if things like this happen again. she said she wishes she never shown she was anxious that evening, that way i never asked or knew.
Have you asked this (or searched) here:

It's likely the best place to get advice like this. But it sounds to me like you already have some experience with "psychological walls" - that is, barriers to unity of relationship. It seems to me that there should be some wisdom exercised in making a distinction between foolish thoughts that come and go every day (it would be foolish to share such things), and some sinful attitude which affects behavior that should be confessed for the purpose of healing the mind. Secrets keep people in bondage. Confession frees the soul.

One case - Prov. 29:20 "Do you see someone who speaks in haste? There is more hope for a fool than for them." There are others similar to this one that indicates a person should think before they speak, and weigh the potential ramifications of not only what may be said, but how it is said.

The other case - James 5:16 "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." In this case, if a person has a chronic lust problem for example, and it has influenced both attitude and behavior, it needs to be dealt with by confession and prayer, with the idea that the Spirit will help them to overcome it.

Back