Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

In Darkness

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
M

MrVersatile48

In Darkness

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned. (NIV) Isaiah 9:2

Once, my children and I were playing a game in which we were to guess if each of us were an animal, which animal would we be?

Everyone agreed that Dad would be a horse. One daughter was definitely a cat and the other was sure she would be an eagle.

"And what animal would I be?", I inquired, hoping for something lovely and majestic.

Without a hesitation, both children looked at me and said simultaneously, "A centipede". A what?! They had both apparently agreed on this answer long ago. When I asked them why they picked me out to be a centipede, they said, "Because you're always trying to do lots of things at once and you need lots of hands."

Well, that's me in a nutshell.

I like to think of myself as master of my own fate, accomplished, successfully juggling many balls with skill and aplomb. I don't like the world to see how often I drop the balls. I like to present myself as confident and together.

So often, though, life has other plans and my competence fails, my strength leaves and I am left turning to the only One who can help me.

I used to hate the hard times, the valleys, the dark nights of the soul. I loved the light, the mountain-tops, the joy of salvation. I realize now, though, that when I'm walking in good times, I often rely so much on my own strength and competence. Small miracles and blessings sometimes go unnoticed in the brightness of the light.

When things are tough, I find myself relying totally on God for help. I cry out for a closeness to Him which I only seem to achieve through difficulty. I am afterward, so grateful for the smallest kindnesses and dimmest rays of light.

I learn to hope for the unseen, to trust in the only thing I can really trust, to become closer to the Lord I need so much. When I finally emerge once again from the valley, I am so thankful for His grace and mercy, and I walk with renewed joy. Without the darkness, I would never understand the light.

Written by Gail Rodgers used with permission

Forward this devotion to a friend

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back