Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Is it sinful to consume alcohol?

Is it sinful to consume alcohol?

• Yes, I'd never!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know.

• No, but I don't drink.

• Total voters
No. Yes.

However I must remember that to some whose faith is weak, my 'drinking' could cause them to stumble.

I rather enjoy an occasional glass of red wine - and it's also good for my stomach :wink:

Not if it's used in small amounts and not abused. We're told not to be drunk as it says in Eph. 5:18. Paul told Timothy to use a little wine for his stomach's sake in 1 Tim. 5:23. Of course, from what I understand their water wasn't fit to drink. I have to buy bottled water for that reason. I rarely drink alcohol--only if someone offers me a drink. I have no problem with the occasional social drink, but if it starts to affect my judgement and coordination that's the time to stop. Besides, I also read that alcohol destroys brain cells that are never replaced, and I can't spare any. :lol:

It is not sinful to consume alcohol but it is a sin to become drunken. It is also dangerous to allow oneself to be under the control of a substance that alters ones normal abilities, whether alcohol or other.

I do not drink any longer. Before I was saved, I drank a lot of alcoholics under the table. ;-)

It is not a sin to drink a glass of wine with dinner or have a cold beer after work. I don't drink at all but it is not a sin.

As long as you don't have a problem with it, and you're are not trying to get yourself drunk, there should be no problem with alcohol.

As a Baptist I'm always running into Baptist folks telling me it's a sin to drink. A good friend/former Pastor use to say, "good Baptists don't drink" and we discussed it a few times. I have a hard time believing there's Biblical support for the prohibition of alcohol.

personally I don't drink. I think its a discusting habbit. Smoking is also discusting. However, Like solo said. the sin comes from getting drunk, nit the act of drinking.

Contex is also important.
example 1 Jesus turned water into wine. Wine was used more to purfiy water and kill the bacteria. I imagine the water was much like it is in mexico.

example 2 Michael Jackson was giving ''JESUS JUICE'' to the kids he molested to get them drunk. I would say this is a sin.

jesusjuice20copyaq0.gif

JM said:
I have a hard time believing there's Biblical support for the prohibition of alcohol.

As I am sure you know...it depends upon whether the terms translated wine in Scripture mean at all times fermented grape juice.

RJS said:
As I am sure you know...it depends upon whether the terms translated wine in Scripture mean at all times fermented grape juice.

Is kosher wine ever not fermented?

If you have a history of alcoholism, you would be wise not to start.
Here are three of the best verses I found:

Proverbs 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Proverbs 20:1
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
Isaiah 5:21-23
Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!
Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:
Which justify the wicked for reward, and take away the righteousness of the righteous from him!

:smt078 :smt119 :smt078 :oops: :lol:

If your saved and have the very Spirit of God in you why would you need or even consider drinking spirits?

Without getting into all the technical debate , why even fool with something so dangerous and devastating to peoples lives?

Strong drink , beer , liquor, wine... none of it has ever helped anyone draw closer to the Lord in fellowship. Even one puts within you a strange spirit that can lower you inhibitions and cause you not to think on a spiritual level.

Why fool with something that could lead to sin in a short matter of time?

And for those who talk about how healthy wine is for you, great,wonderful if it is but why do you kill the effects of it with the rest of your unhealthy diet?

Eat right, exercise a little, and labor that will help your health more than a glass of wine and big-mac... :lol:

Eat right, exercise a little, and labor that will help your health more than a glass of wine and big-mac...

Amen!!
I'm in the gym 4x a week and in the boxing-ring every other weekend. I don't drink, I ask myself why? What's the point. I went out to a bar recently, because I wanted to play a game of pool. I ordered a coke (straight). I had no intentions of drinking that evening. Just went out to have a little play time if you will. I believe it's having control over one's own desire. Step on the flesh sorta speak. Place me next to someone who drinks a glass of wine daily with their dinner and I would surpass each of them in my health because of all the water, diet and exercise. To me it's an excuse to have a glass of wine. As you said just eat right and exercise and you would never need a glass of wine.

Preacher Boy said:
If your saved and have the very Spirit of God in you why would you need or even consider drinking spirits?

Perhaps you should ask Jesus that question.

If someone says that consuming alcohol is sinful, then our Lord and Savior was a sinner and an accessory to the sin of others by turning water into wine. He drank wine at the Last Supper and was even called a drinker by some Pharisees!

The question of this thread can only be answered one way - NO, it isn't sinful to consume alcohol. As in all things, moderation is the key.

Regards

i agree it is not a sin. If you know that after one drink you won't be able to resist another, and another, and another etc. then it probably best that you don't. I enjoy a glass of wine with a meal, just because it tastes nice etc.

The comment of if you're saved and have the spirit why would you need or consider drinking spirits?

I drink them cause i like them.

why if you are filled with the spirit do you need to drink coffee/tea/coke etc, when water will do you fine? seems stupid reasoning to me

My only problem, Atonement, with going into a bar, is what if a non-Christian sees me go in there and questions my Christianity because they don't think a Christian should be in a bar and assume I'm in there to drink--even if I'm not? Non-Christians have always been quick to point out anything they don't think I should be doing or saying. That's what goes through my mind as I think about my testimony before others. I used to go a bar near work because they had great hamburgers, but I didn't drink. The thing I wondered was what if someone who knew I was a Christian saw me go in there? Wouldn't they have assumed I was going in there to drink and maybe get drunk? Don't people usually like to think the worst of others--expecially of Christians?

It's a sin to get drunk, but not to drink. I don't drink now, because I'm underage. However, I can imagine that I'll have a glass of wine or two when I'm over 21. God created grapes, he created the fermentaion process, and many studies are showing that wine drunk in moderation is invaluble for your heart. Just because people can abuse the substance doesn't mean it's a sin to consume any. I mean, people use money, sex, and even food wrongly. No one would eschew those things simply for that reason.

Jon-Marc said:
My only problem, Atonement, with going into a bar, is what if a non-Christian sees me go in there and questions my Christianity because they don't think a Christian should be in a bar and assume I'm in there to drink--even if I'm not? Non-Christians have always been quick to point out anything they don't think I should be doing or saying. That's what goes through my mind as I think about my testimony before others. I used to go a bar near work because they had great hamburgers, but I didn't drink. The thing I wondered was what if someone who knew I was a Christian saw me go in there? Wouldn't they have assumed I was going in there to drink and maybe get drunk? Don't people usually like to think the worst of others--expecially of Christians?

Last night while browsing the Scotch wiskey section of the liquor store, I thought of these links, so I'll post them. I don't know if they answer your question.

http://www.modernreformation.org/jw00sober.htm
http://www.whitehorseinn.org/newsletter ... 6.htm#1105

Deuteronomy 14:26
And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

I'm not trying to convince anyone to start drinking, I just don't find any Biblical reason for not drinking.

jm

Back