Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is it sinful to consume alcohol?

• Yes, I'd never!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know.

• No, but I don't drink.

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Acts 2

1And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

7And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

8And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

12And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

13Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

15For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

Now, if this is not PURE PROOF that 'new wine' CONTAINED alcohol, I don't know what you are looking for.

The diciples of Chirst started speaking in 'tongues'. Many of those that witnessed this 'ASSUMED' that these people were DRUNK. Now, how do you suppose one would get 'DRUNK' from alcohol-FREE grape juice?

New wine was simply THAT. BEFORE wine was AGED, (NOT FERMENTED), it was considered NEW WINE. Wine of this sort WAS cheaper than that which had been 'AGED'. And with the aging process MANY of the chemical compounds that make for a 'ROUGH BUZZ' are FURTHER 'broken down' and eliminated therefore making AGED wine of much more value and quality.

I would suggest that you do some research of HISTORY rather than the writtings of someone OPPOSED to alcohol. You know, PEOPLE can WRITE anything according to their OPINIONS. They can offer ONLY that which backs their OWN opinion.

Now, all I ask is that you explain HOW this 'new wine' that the diciples were accused of 'having drunk' could have ANY bearing on this passage if the wine were NOT fermented and therefore containing alcohol, (a reasonable explanation that is).

And to further illustrate what I SAY that this event entails, Peter, hearing what others said mockingly, states; "15For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

Now, OBVIOUSLY those that mocked BELIEVED that the diciples WERE DRUNK. Peter STATES this without dispute. Now, HOW DOES ONE GET DRUNK OFF OF WINE WITH NO ALCOHOL? There MUST be fermentation for there to BE ALCOHOL. Therefore NEW WINE HAD to be fermented otherwise this entire story makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER, for those that accused STATED 'NEW WINE'.

So, I know that there are those denominations that REFUSE to accept the 'TRUTH' about alcohol. That is 'their' problem. But for those that have read and accepted The Word WITHOUT the influence of those that would BIND them once again under laws that DO NOT EXIST in The Word, they KNOW that there is NOTHING 'sinful' about the consumption of alcohol. Excess CAN and WILL lead to ALL KINDS of problems both PHYSICAL and SPIRITUAL. But we KNOW that Jesus and His apostles DRANK wine that contained alcohol.

Heck, we KNOW from history that EVEN children drank wine that HAD BEEN FERMENTED. Not for the sake of becoming DRUNK, but because water was SO DANGEROUS in many places and beer and wine were relatively FREE from the bacteria found in MUCH OF THE WORLDS water supply in that time period.

MEC

Jon-Marc said:
I certainly agree with that, but my concern when I went into a bar to eat (I didn't consume alcohol) was that I could be a stumbling block to someone who needed Christ. That's all I'm saying. I'm NOT saying that going into a bar is wrong. Jesus ate with sinners and was condemned for it. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive and seeing a problem where there isn't any. However, I've always believed in the old adage, "It's better to be safe than sorry." I've often said that what I do is nobody's business but God's, but still I don't want to be the cause of someone turning away from God.

Jon Marc,

Do you realize that there ARE those that DO have a 'deeper' understanding than that of maybe even 'yourself'? Or are you 'secure enough' in your relationship with God to 'think' that it IS as 'tight' as it could POSSIBLY BE?

I do NOT ask you to ponder these questions to belittle or to do ANYTHING but foster 'thought'.

Now, in reference to your post offered above:

WHAT IF, you were TO BE in a BAR................FOR CHRIST'S SAKE? Do you reacon that's even a REMOTE POSSIBILITY. Do you reacon that there is even a REMOTE possibility that there 'might be' someone sitting in a bar DRUNK that MAY just NEED to hear what YOU have to offer concerning their present state of mind and soul?

Many would state, ''I would NEVER go into a PLACE like THAT''. I would offer that THIS PLACE might be THE BEST place that one could find those that TRULY NEED someone to offer them a 'testimony' that just MIGHT offer them hope that they CAN'T find in a bottle.

MEC

Mec,

I might have posted this before, but reading your last post reminded me of something I wrote in my Bible:

"The Church needs to get out from behind stained glass to touch stained lives."

I will add onto all the other good advice here that you can make drinking alchol (not just getting drunk) a sin unto yourself (personally) if you drink it without faith (not in good concience) according to Romans 14. So if you are not sure you should, then back off. Don't even take a sip, because it can be a sin unto yourself if you drink without faith.

Atonement said:
To me it's an excuse to have a glass of wine. As you said just eat right and exercise and you would never need a glass of wine.

What is wrong with enjoying the taste of wine just as you enjoyed your coke when you were out at the bar? If I make dinner for my fiance and I, and we have a glass of wine, what is wrong with that? I don't think to myself, "hey, I can have a glass of wine because it's good for me!" I think, "Hey this particular wine goes really well the the spagetti I just made."

Does it have health benefits? Sure. But I tend to belive my time spent in the gym are much more beneficial.

I agree with many people in this post - becoming drunk is a sin. Having a glass of wine or a beer, I don't see it as a sin. Unless of course it is causing your brother to stumble...

Fnerb said:
What is wrong with enjoying the taste of wine
When the drinking begins there are going to be at least a few people who abuse it. Some abuse it more often then others, to their own destruction.

For me it would be better to set an example to them of not drinking. To help keep them from destroying themselves.

Fnerb said:
What is wrong with enjoying the taste of wine
When the drinking begins there are going to be at least a few people who abuse it. Some abuse it more often then others, to their own destruction.

For me it would be better to set an example to them of not drinking. To help keep them from destroying themselves.

You ARE absolutely correct in your understanding and acceptance of such. If one 'chooses' NOT to partake of alcohol that is certainly their 'choice'. But this has nothing to do with ANY scriptural reference to alcohol consumption being FORBIDDEN.

We ARE our 'brothers keepers'. And in this, we MUST not allow our 'freedom' to hender those around us. But what's more important than setting cultural or 'religious taboos' against that which we have NO scriptural reference is just a bit more 'man-made' doctrine perpetuated MOSTLY by women from JUST the PREVIOUS century in THIS COUNTRY. For we know that both women and children consumed alcohol up UNTIL this point in history. (And we are all aware of WHO the 'best' wine and beer producers were right)?

MEC

As odd as this may sound, I have never had a drink in my life...Just never had the urge for it.....Do I consider it a sin? The bible says its a sin to get drunk....My wife used to like wine with her dinner or brunch and I we never considered it a sin...Funny, one day about 15 years ago she just stopped consuming alcohol all together. I never asked her why, maybe I should / will...

jgredline said:
As odd as this may sound, I have never had a drink in my life...Just never had the urge for it.....Do I consider it a sin? The bible says its a sin to get drunk....My wife used to like wine with her dinner or brunch and I we never considered it a sin...Funny, one day about 15 years ago she just stopped consuming alcohol all together. I never asked her why, maybe I should / will...
Let a sleeping dog lie, and it won't get up and bite you! :wink:

And j,

Forgo water and have a 'little wine' for thine ailments AND for the 'sake of thy stomach', (he he he). Just kidding.

No, seriously, 'don't be scared', (he he he again).

Really folks, if one 'chooses' NOT to drink alcohol do so OUT of thanksgiving and REALIZE that it is NOT forbidden. And whatever your 'choice', do NOT allow your 'mind' condemn your 'brothers and sisters' who are perfectly innocent of their choice as well.

MEC

Oh, and let me add this;

To all those that continually 'dwell' on the 'don't causse your brother to stumble'. Remember, that your CONDEMNING of your brother who 'partakes' is JUST as likely to cause HIM to stumble as one 'drinking in FRONT of an alcoholic'. So, beware of one's OWN limited understanding when it comes to 'judgement'. For ONCE one IS capable of 'coming to an understanding of judgement' it is ONLY then that they realize that judgement is TRULY reserved for that which is BEYOND our understanding or capability.

Wow, I think I'll 'coin' that one............Naw, 'someone else' has SURELY figured this one out WAY before it was revealed to me.?

MEC

No.

If it all boils down to our beverage of occasional choice, no one will make it to Heaven.

Old Testament legalism; pure and simple.

Moderation and disgression are the keys to this and other similar "sinful" things.

While I MUST admit, I'm NO Brad Paisley, (and if I were I think I'd 'change my name), but don't forget that alcohol WAS one of the MOST common forms of MEDICATION used by the ancients for THOUSANDS of years. It 'aids in digestion' is 'good for the heart' 'offers relaxation' and 'brings about a joyous 'spirit' among those at events of celibration. It is a NATURAL anteseptic, (and paint thinner).

That it CAN be abused is without doubt. We HAVE been warned against 'drunkeness'. We HAVE been given the wisdom of it's DETRIMENTAL effects for those that ABUSE it. BUT, we have ALSO studied it extensively and it DOES have positive effects as well as dangers.

Now, the 'point' of this thread was; 'is it SINFUL' to drink? As we have discussed the issue at length, the conclusion seems to be that YES, it most CERTAINLY CAN BE sinful to drink alcohol. If it is allowed to cause one's brother to STUMBLE. If consumed to DRUNKENESS. If one drinks it BELIEVING it is wrong. But it is also to be understood that to consume alcohol conservatively and with thanksgiving, there is NOTHING forbidden or sinful in it's use.

And YES gabby. as your buddy Paisley points out; those that choose to 'worship' alcohol can CERTAINLY find themselves in a MESS. One of Satans' most effective tools are drugs. Those that are 'addictive' offer one NOTHING but heartache and sorrow. But it is NOT the 'substance' that CAUSES the PROBLEM, the addiction is only A SYMPTOM. For we KNOW that there ARE MANY that have tried, tasted, partaken, ingested, partied, etc,,,,,,,,,,WITHOUT being LURED into addiction. Suffering LITTLE detrimental effects. And YES, there CERTAINLY ARE those that are UNABLE to handle the TEMPTATION that leads to addiction.

Rarely will you find one that is 'true' to God that allows this into their lives. Most ARE able to abstain from that which is DETRIMENTAL to their physical or Spiritual health. And I offer the words of Paul in closing, 'Nothing is UNCLEAN of or IN itself. It is the mental and spiritual state of those that USE it that CAN make it UNCLEAN. For it's RARELY that which goes INTO one that allows them to become UNCLEAN, but that which COMES OUT of them.

MEC

I used to drink as a Christian, but since being so full of the Holy Spirit I have too much joy in my life to even think about alcohol.

Back