Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is The Church Age 2,000 years?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

JohnR

We all know that starting back in Sept 1998 people were making all kinds of predictions that the world was going to end based on the 2,000 year anniversary of when Jesus was born.

Now I wonder, what do people think about the 2,000 year anniversary of pentecost. What some people call the Age of Grace or the Church Age, or the Holy Ghost Dispensation or even the Time of the Gentiles.

No one seems to know for sure when the day of pentecost was for the Church. If Jerusalem fell in 70 ad and the Messiah was cut off in the middle of that week, then that would give us a date around 30 - 35 ad.

What I believe is going to happen is that there will be an all out atomic war. A lot of people will be killed and because so many people will be missing they will try to deny that the Church was raptured out of here. Also, there will still be the apostate church which people identify as being the church anyways.

We know that the world will be desperate for peace. That is when the antichrist will step foreword and all the nations will enter into an agreement to put an end to the war and the killing. We know that this lasts for 3 1/2 years and then war breaks out again for the remaining 3 1/2 years. That is when we are told that the days are shortened or mankind would totally destroy itself. He would become what science calls extinct.

This is when Jesus will return to rule and reign here on earth for 1,000 years. We are told that Jesus will first return for His Church and His feet will not touch the ground. Then 7 years later He will return with His Church and then His feet shall touch the ground.

JohnR said:
No one seems to know for sure when the day of pentecost was for the Church. If Jerusalem fell in 70 ad and the Messiah was cut off in the middle of that week, then that would give us a date around 30 - 35 ad.
Hi John. I'm confused by what you say above. I understand a prophetic week to be seven years (one day=one year). Are you suggesting a week equals seventy years?

We know that the world will be desperate for peace. That is when the antichrist will step foreword and all the nations will enter into an agreement to put an end to the war and the killing. We know that this lasts for 3 1/2 years and then war breaks out again for the remaining 3 1/2 years. That is when we are told that the days are shortened or mankind would totally destroy itself. He would become what science calls extinct.
What if, for instance, the 70th. week has already come and gone, we are in an unspecified period of time that Jesus called the Great Tribulation. What if we are now already experiencing Paul's apostosia and we are waiting for the final arrival of the son of perdition, his persecution, removal or protection of the ekklesia and God's Wrath?

I struggle with confining part of Matthew 24 and much Revelation to a seven year period.

This is when Jesus will return to rule and reign here on earth for 1,000 years. We are told that Jesus will first return for His Church and His feet will not touch the ground. Then 7 years later He will return with His Church and then His feet shall touch the ground.
Since I am not a pretribulationist, I don't believe this is found in the Bible.

So you know, I am not posting to debate, only to talk about alternative senarios.

Peace,
Vic

JohnR said:
...What I believe is going to happen is that there will be an all out atomic war. A lot of people will be killed and because so many people will be missing they will try to deny that the Church was raptured out of here....

Hi JohnR

I tend to believe it a bit different. I am thinking that when the rapture happens, (millions of people disappear all at one time) it will cause a scene that will look like a war.
For the sake of illustration, what if 1/4th of the worlds population were Christians. Go across the board with that. 1/4th of people driving automobiles, flying airplanes, air traffic controllers, etc. all disappear at once. We have all seen TV reports of just one train wreck, or plane crash, and the mess that it leaves.

I believe that the rapture of the church is the event that is going to cause world-wide tribulation

Gabby, may I ask you a question? LOL, I'm going to ask amyway. :wink:

How do you understand this passage:

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Vic C. said:
Gabby, may I ask you a question? LOL, I'm going to ask amyway. :wink:

How do you understand this passage:....

The above post is an opinion.
Here is my understanding.
Mat 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

There is also a passage in Mat 13 that may contradict my opinion.

Mat 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Gather the tares first, bind them in bundles to burn them - then gather the wheat. This one looks like the bad guys are going first. So therefore, I stand on Mat 24:42 ...for ye know not... <- that's my understanding, and I'm stickin' to it.
bigglasses.gif

If you were looking for some insight, I apologize for the disappointment you must be feeling now.

Gabbylittleangel said:
Mat 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Gather the tares first, bind them in bundles to burn them - then gather the wheat. This one looks like the bad guys are going first. So therefore, I stand on Mat 24:42 ...for ye know not... <- that's my understanding, and I'm stickin' to it.
bigglasses.gif

If you were looking for some insight, I apologize for the disappointment you must be feeling now.
No disappointments at all. But we are are now straying from the OP, so maybe one day of the Forum talks about the wheat and tares judgement, we can talk about it. 8-)

JohnR said:
We all know that starting back in Sept 1998 people were making all kinds of predictions that the world was going to end based on the 2,000 year anniversary of when Jesus was born.

Now I wonder, what do people think about the 2,000 year anniversary of pentecost. What some people call the Age of Grace or the Church Age, or the Holy Ghost Dispensation or even the Time of the Gentiles.

What I believe is going to happen is that there will be an all out atomic war. A lot of people will be killed and because so many people will be missing they will try to deny that the Church was raptured out of here. Also, there will still be the apostate church which people identify as being the church anyways.

Years calibrated by the Jewish calender show us to be in the year 5767.

I believe that Jesus speaks of the tribulation such as having never been, nor will ever be again comes prior to Jesus redemption of His children acccording to the verse of scripture that Vic supplied; Matthew 24.

Vic C. said:
Hi John. I'm confused by what you say above. I understand a prophetic week to be seven years (one day=one year). Are you suggesting a week equals seventy years?

We are talking about Daniel 9:34. There is not question that Daniels 70 weeks represents 490 years. But it is also believed that the 70 weeks here represents the 70 years that the Hebrew Children were in captivity.

I am not really saying anything, just drawing a comparison. We are told that the Temple was tore down in 70ad. We are told that Jesus died on the cross for us in 35 ad.

Daniel 9:24
"Seventy weeks are determined
For your people and for your holy city,
To finish the transgression,
To make an end of sins,
To make reconciliation for iniquity,
To bring in everlasting righteousness,
To seal up vision and prophecy,
And to anoint the Most Holy.

Daniel 9:27
Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week;
But in the middle of the week
He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering.
And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate,
Even until the consummation, which is determined,
Is poured out on the desolate."

According to Bishop Ussher this prophecy came true. The Christ Child entered into the world 69 weeks later just as Daniel said it would happen. The final week then will be the 7 year tribulation period.

There are lots of web sites that can explain this a lot better then I can. Also it is something you have to crunch the numbers and work it out for yourself. I did all the math on it and it all works out.

Gabbylittleangel said:
(millions of people disappear all at one time) it will cause a scene that will look like a war.
It could be billions of people. We are told that 1/3 of the people from all nations, tribes, tongues and people will be saved. I am not sure how this will relate to the judgement of the nations though.

all disappear at once. We have all seen TV reports of just one train wreck, or plane crash, and the mess that it leaves.

We believe the same thing. I just beleive there will be an atomic war at the time and you think they will just disappear. Those bombs have been there in place for the last 50 years. All they have to do is hit the "fail safe" button and half of the world will be destroyed in a few hours time.

I believe that the rapture of the church is the event that is going to cause world-wide tribulation

There is tribulation in the world. But the Great Tribulation is when God will pour out His wrath upon the world. For those who will still be alive after the war. God can not pour out his judgements upon the world if the Church is still here in the world.

Romans 5:9
Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.

Vic C. said:
Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
This is always the case when there is mass extinction, the sky is always dark. If a meter hits the earth, or if the destruction is from a volcano or if it is a atomic bomb, the sky is always dark from the dust that is in the air. That is why they can go to the north pole or greenland where the ice does not melt and they will find a layer of dust in there at a time when there is mass extinction on the earth. Or even you can see that in geology in the layers on the earth.

JohnR, thanks. I now understan your train of thought. I may not agree with it, but it is interesting. Hey, I seems to be disagreeing with myself on some of my eschatological views lately. Been reading some Isaac Newton and others regarding historicism nad partial historicism that seem to make sense.

Oh, btw; I wasn't asking Gabby for an explanation of the above verses; just her insight. It seems she knew that already. LOL. :wink:

Vic C. said:
... Hey, I seems to be disagreeing with myself on some of my eschatological beliefs lately. ...Oh, btw; I wasn't asking Gabby for an explanation of the above verses; just her insight. It seems she knew that already. LOL. :wink:

Ye knows not either, eh? :-D

Back