Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this the beatitudes in the OT?

Dave...

If yes, do you know of any others?

Ecclesiastes 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief, And he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.

Ecclesiastes 7:3 Sorrow is better than laughter, For by a sad countenance the heart is made better. 4 The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, But the heart of fools is in the house of mirth. 5 It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise Than for a man to hear the song of fools.

Ecclesiastes 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief, And he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.

Ecclesiastes 7:3 Sorrow is better than laughter, For by a sad countenance the heart is made better. 4 The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, But the heart of fools is in the house of mirth. 5 It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise Than for a man to hear the song of fools.
These are the beatitudes found in Matthew 5:

He said:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Beatitudes are statement of blessings. So id say most of these you listed are proverbs.

Hey BR, Noah

This isn't from the Bible, but it's the same idea. I think. It's a different way of looking at it. I love this quote.

"Lord high and holy, meek and lowly, let me learn by paradox that the way down is the way up, that to be low is to be high, that the broken heart is the healed heart, that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit, that the repenting soul is the victorious soul, that to have nothing is to possess everything, that to bear the cross is to wear the crown, that to give is to receive. Let me find thy light in my darkness, thy joy in my sorrow, thy grace in my sin, thy riches in my poverty, thy glory in my valley, thy life in my death."

"Thy life in my death"? That's the true gospel. Jesus said it unmistakably and inescapably, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it" (Matt. 16:24-25). It's not about exalting me, it's about slaying me. It's the death of self. You win by losing; you live by dying. And that is the heart message of the gospel. That is the essence of discipleship.

From Macarthur's book called-- "Hard to Believe: The High Cost and Infinite Value of Following Jesus"

It makes me think of the Psalms. David seemed to be in this state of mind.

Dave

Last edited:
Found these. My favorite Psalm, 37.

Psalm 37: But the meek shall inherit the earth, And shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

I see a lot of references to Isaiah 61, 1-4

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me, Because the Lord has anointed Me To preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives, And the opening of the prison to those who are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn, To console those who mourn in Zion, To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; That they may be called trees of righteousness, The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified." And they shall rebuild the old ruins, They shall raise up the former desolations, And they shall repair the ruined cities, The desolations of many generations."

Psalm 106: 3 Blessed are those who keep justice, And he who does righteousness at all times!

Proverbs 3:13 Happy is the man who finds wisdom, And the man who gains understanding;

At a glance Proverbs 3:13 may seem to contradict Ecclesiastes 1:18 from the OP, until one also considers Ecclesiastes 7:3. Interesting though.

Peace.

Last edited:
Back