Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Is unbelief a sin?

D

Dave Slayer

Is unbelief in itself a sin? What does the Bible say about this?

Good subject, Dave. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post Google search results directly but have done a search like this in the past. The results overfilled my screeeeeennnnn....

85 pages of results :yes

The first result was entitled, "The Sin of Unbelief" and when I followed the link I was surprised to find a sermon delivered by C. H. Spurgeon in 1855. He speaks of Elisha and a king who was "a sinner of the blackest dye, his iniquity was glaring and infamous." I'll spare you the entire 85 pages and let you check out this famous work: http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0003.htm .

~Sparrow

Hebrews 3:12-13: "Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; but exhort one another daily, while it is called “Today,†lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin."

A heart of unbelief, here, is called "evil" so I'd say yes, unbelief is a sin - one of which we are ALL guilty at times.

Jesus said "--if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins." Jn.8:24. To my understanding that covers all and closes the question.

God bless, duval

Given the actual meaning of 'sin'...ie to 'miss the mark'...I'd personally say that yes, unbelief is definitely defined as 'sin'.

Also, unbelievers is one of the 10 classes of people listed here that are damned. The other 9 classes are clearly sins and sinners. Unbelief leaves you as a sinner, for there is no other way to be justified of all past sins other than the belief and faith in the blood and sacrifice of Christ (Rom.3:25). As someone else said, unbelief is certainly missing the mark of what God requires.

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death (Rev.21:8)." ...other 2 classes are in Rev.22:15 (dogs & lovers of lies).

I don't think the scriptures teach that disbelieving a statement is sin, even if the statement is true.

The Greek word "ÀιÃĀεÅÉ" found many times in the New Testament has two distinct meanings:
[1] believe (as in believing a proposition)

and

[2] trust (or have faith in)

When it is written, "Whatever does not proceed from faith (ÀιÃĀοÂ) is sin", it refers to actions which do not proceed from trust in God. It does not refer to not believing some statement.

However, the following statement in 1 John seems to say that there is great value in believing one particular factual statement:

1 John 5:1 Every one who believes that Jesus is the Messiah, is a child of God.

Now I have some difficulty with that statement. For I am sure there are some people who believe that Jesus is the Messiah, and yet are not disciples of that Messiah. Any thoughts on this?

Paidion wrote:

When it is written, "Whatever does not proceed from faith (ÀιÃĀοÂ) is sin", it refers to actions which do not proceed from trust in God. It does not refer to not believing some statement.

However, the following statement in 1 John seems to say that there is great value in believing one particular factual statement:

1 John 5:1 Every one who believes that Jesus is the Messiah, is a child of God.

Now I have some difficulty with that statement. For I am sure there are some people who believe that Jesus is the Messiah, and yet are not disciples of that Messiah. Any thoughts on this?

Hello Paidion,

John Owen said 'there are Christians who don't know that they are Christians.' Not every person in the world articulates the faith as you and I are doing, in fact we would probably be in the minority. One answer to your question are the Jews who believe Jesus is the Messiah but out of fear keep it to themselves.

blessings

would not be

your question what does the Bible say about unbelief being a sin, here is what I see in John 3:16 - 21

1) God's Son was not sent to condemn
2) unbelief in His Son means sin already has occurred (3:18)
3) my take on 3:19 is that all sin can be described one way: light came and we're passionate about darkness (if we're sinning)

So in my understanding unbelief is a affect of choosing darkness

Book of John (NET Bible)
3:16 For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. 3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world should be saved through him. 3:18 The one who believes in him is not condemned. The one who does not believe has been condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the one and only Son of God. 3:19 Now this is the basis for judging: that the light has come into the world and people loved the darkness rather than the light, because their deeds were evil. 3:20 For everyone who does evil deeds hates the light and does not come to the light, so that their deeds will not be exposed. 3:21 But the one who practices the truth comes to the light, so that it may be plainly evident that his deeds have been done in God.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

turnorburn

I still want to know what unbelief means.

Does it mean
1) I do not believe in God
or/and (maybe)
2) I do not believe what God promises.

Can we believe in God and not believe the promises ? What happens when we do that?

benoni: when I read revelations 3:20 "Behold I stand at the door and knock" that verse just has a feel that it speaks to all people. I don't believe its a matter of Him not call but maybe us not hearing.

I still say that unbelief is just a symptom of sin not the cause. We choose unbelief because we intend to choose to keep sinning. It is really just about what a person loves and if a person loves darkness that person will then choose unbelief.

Cornelius said:
I still want to know what unbelief means.

Does it mean
1) I do not believe in God
or/and (maybe)
2) I do not believe what God promises.

Can we believe in God and not believe the promises ? What happens when we do that?
^+1 The OP needs to define what is meant by "unbelief"--is it doubts about everything or just certain things, etc.?

wiLLiam said:
benoni: when I read revelations 3:20 "Behold I stand at the door and knock" that verse just has a feel that it speaks to all people. I don't believe its a matter of Him not call but maybe us not hearing.

I still say that unbelief is just a symptom of sin not the cause. We choose unbelief because we intend to choose to keep sinning. It is really just about what a person loves and if a person loves darkness that person will then choose unbelief.

I cannot see how The Book of Revelation is speaking to anyone but believers; this book is the most spiritual book in the entire Bible and I know a lot of so called believers who avoid it like the plague.

Yes the hearing and the seeing is very relevant in the Book of Revelation; then again this is in reference to the overcomers. You see there are two types of people in the Book of Revelation; those who overcome and those who do not.

Man is a slave to sin because of the curse; he has no choice in this; it was God who took the blame. (NIRV) Romans 8: 20 The created world was bound to fail. But that was not the result of its own choice. It was planned that way by the One who made it. God planned to set the created world free. He didn't want it to rot away completely. Instead, he wanted it to have the same glorious freedom that his children have.
It is God who is sovereign all thing.

Back