Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Jacob wrestles with God

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

journeyman

Jacob’s struggle with God is symbolic of his struggle with his inner self. God wanted to enter into a relationship with Jacob, however, he couldn’t do so until Jacob admitted his weakness of self-reliance, deceit, and trickery. When Jacob refused to surrender to God, a mere divine touch on Jacob’s hip forced the young man to surrender and admit his utter need for God (Genesis 25-26).

I disagree with the interpretation above because Jacob in his pain prevailed in hanging onto the angel. The point of the story seems to be that Jacob wanted to be blessed by God and was.

Jacob’s struggle with God is symbolic of his struggle with his inner self. God wanted to enter into a relationship with Jacob, however, he couldn’t do so until Jacob admitted his weakness of self-reliance, deceit, and trickery. When Jacob refused to surrender to God, a mere divine touch on Jacob’s hip forced the young man to surrender and admit his utter need for God (Genesis 25-26).

I disagree with the interpretation above because Jacob in his pain prevailed in hanging onto the angel. The point of the story seems to be that Jacob wanted to be blessed by God and was.
If Jacob's struggle with God was symbolic of his struggle with himself, who was who? Jacob is not God and the inner self is also not God. So how what this a struggle with the self? Is everyone struggling with themselves really wrestling with God? If not, what is the difference?

Where does the scripture say he wrestled until he saw he had an "utter need for God?" Are you suggesting that is what we need to do? The gospel is seeing our sin and needing forgiveness, not seeing we need God.

If Jacob's struggle with God was symbolic of his struggle with himself, who was who? Jacob is not God and the inner self is also not God. So how what this a struggle with the self? Is everyone struggling with themselves really wrestling with God? If not, what is the difference?

Where does the scripture say he wrestled until he saw he had an "utter need for God?" Are you suggesting that is what we need to do? The gospel is seeing our sin and needing forgiveness, not seeing we need God.
I think since God forgives sin, we need God, we need to follow Christ. In fact we need to walk hand in hand with him and when trouble lies ahead, we need to hold on tight. I believe that's what Jacob was doing. His name was changed to Israel because,

as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. Gen.32:28

I don't believe it was symbolic, the pre-incarnate Christ aka "angel of the LORD" Jesus Christ wrestled with Jacob "as a man" so He had no physical advantage. At the least it shows God loves sports.

But what we can take from this at least includes this:

5 And He said to them, "Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at midnight and say to him,`Friend, lend me three loaves;
6 `for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set before him';
7 "and he will answer from within and say,`Do not trouble me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you '?
8 "I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs.
9 "So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
10 "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. (Lk. 11:5-10 NKJ)

Compare:
26 And He said, "Let Me go, for the day breaks." But he said, "I will not let You go unless You bless me!"
27 So He said to him, "What is your name?" He said, "Jacob."
28 And He said, "Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel; for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed." (Gen. 32:26-28 NKJ)

There is lots more, but I have not studied this to say more with any degree of confidence. The whole event is almost incredible.

I don't believe it was symbolic, the pre-incarnate Christ aka "angel of the LORD" Jesus Christ wrestled with Jacob "as a man" so He had no physical advantage. At the least it shows God loves sports.

But what we can take from this at least includes this:

5 And He said to them, "Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at midnight and say to him,`Friend, lend me three loaves;
6 `for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set before him';
7 "and he will answer from within and say,`Do not trouble me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you '?
8 "I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs.
9 "So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
10 "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. (Lk. 11:5-10 NKJ)

Compare:
26 And He said, "Let Me go, for the day breaks." But he said, "I will not let You go unless You bless me!"
27 So He said to him, "What is your name?" He said, "Jacob."
28 And He said, "Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel; for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed." (Gen. 32:26-28 NKJ)

There is lots more, but I have not studied this to say more with any degree of confidence. The whole event is almost incredible.
I don't believe Jacob was fighting "against God", but was fighting to hang onto God.

Didn't say he did, and he definitely wouldn't let go with getting a blessing.
I know you weren't saying that. I'm sorry if it sounded like I did.
To me, Jacob wrestling with the angel is like the example our Lord Jesus set, because it says of him,

During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Heb.5:7

How amazing for the Son be as any of us, but I think the lesson here is how we should follow his example.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back