Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Jesus is an Atonement.....Isa 53

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
G

Georges

In Jewish eschatology, there appears to be 2 Messiah's.

1. Messiah ben Joseph (the suffering servant). Messiah ben Joseph would die and would be resurrected during the Messianic Kingdom.
2. Messiah ben David (the conquering king). This is the Messiah that will rid Israel of it's enemies and rule the Messianic Kingdom.

The Jews consider these as 2 separate individuals. Christians rightly (I believe) recognize these as 1 individual with 2 comings. Jesus as (Messiah ben Joseph) at his first coming is the Suffering Servant. Jesus at his second coming will come as (Messiah ben David), the Conquering King.

I have been wrongly contending that Jesus was not an atonement sacrifice as he did not fill the qualifications of a "Sin", or "Passover" Sacrifice in the classical terms as given for the Passover sacrifice in the Torah.

Vic rightly challenged me on this by quoting Isa 53 (A Messianic prophetic chapter amidst a group of Messianic chapters). In particular...

Isa 53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
Isa 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, [there is] no beauty that we should desire him.
Isa 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were [our] faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Isa 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

Isa 53:5 But he [was] wounded for our transgressions, [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Isa 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
Isa 53:8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
Isa 53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither [was any] deceit in his mouth.
Isa 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put [him] to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see [his] seed, he shall prolong [his] days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
Isa 53:11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, [and] shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Isa 53:12 Therefore will I divide him [a portion] with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Having said that...I started researching "Sacrifice" and "Atonement"...as Paul tries to tie in Jesus as the Pascal lamb....he just didn't seem to qualify.

Having said that....I came apon this article in http://www.jewishencyclpedia.com and now I'm happy that there is a Jewish explanation tying Jesus to the role as Messiah ben Joseph (the Suffering Servant) as an atonement for sin. The excerpt below is from the http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com article on atonement.

...Suffering as Means of Atonement.

Another thing considered by the Rabbis as a means of Atonement is suffering. Suffering is more apt than sacrifice to win God's favor and to atone for man (Mek., Yitro, 10; Sifre, Deut. 32; Ber. 5a). Poverty also, in so far as it reduces man's physical strength, has atoning power (Pesiḳ. xxv. 165a). Similar power was ascribed to exile (Sanh. 37b); also to the destruction of the Temple, which was held as a securityâ€â€a play on the word â€â€for Israel's life (Gen. R. xlii.; Ex. R. xxxi.; Lev. R. xi.). Above all, death atones for sin (Sifre, Num. 112; Mek., Yitro, 7). "Let my death make atonement for all my sins," say men when dying or in peril (Ber. 60a; Sanh. vi. 2). Particularly the deathof the righteous atones for the sins of the people. "Like the sanctuary, he is taken as security ["mashkon"] for the life of the community" (Tan., Wayaḳhel 9; Ex. R. xxxv. 4; Lev. R. ii.).

Suffering or Death of the Righteous.

That the death of the righteous atones is learned from II Sam. xxi. 14, which says that after the burial of Saul and Jonathan "God was entreated for the land" (Pesiḳ. xxvii. 174b). "Where there are no righteous men in a generation to atone for the people, innocent school-children are taken away" (Shab. 33b). So also does the suffering of the righteous atone; as in the case of Ezekiel (Sanh. 39a) and Job (Ex. R. xxi.).

excerpt from "Atonement" http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view. ... 2&letter=A

also...as I had stated in other posts, the Jews traditionally consider that Messiah was one of the things created before the world...At the house I have a great book to have as a resource...it's title "The Messiah Texts" by Raphel Patai. In it, the book contains every scrap of information in Judaism concerning the Messiah. While reading the chapter concerning Messiah ben Joseph, there are excerpts describing God's dialoge (in heaven/pre creation) concerning his role. In the discourse God asks the pre-existant Messiah concerning the role of the suffering Messiah to which the Messiah gladly accepts the role....I will post the resource tomorrow...

I'm happy now.....except for Paul's paschal lamb reference.

Georges said:
Having said that....I came apon this article in http://www.jewishencyclpedia.com and now I'm happy that there is a Jewish explanation tying Jesus to the role as Messiah ben Joseph (the Suffering Servant) as an atonement for sin. The excerpt below is from the http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com article on atonement.

...Suffering as Means of Atonement.

Another thing considered by the Rabbis as a means of Atonement is suffering. Suffering is more apt than sacrifice to win God's favor and to atone for man (Mek., Yitro, 10; Sifre, Deut. 32; Ber. 5a). Poverty also, in so far as it reduces man's physical strength, has atoning power (Pesiḳ. xxv. 165a). Similar power was ascribed to exile (Sanh. 37b); also to the destruction of the Temple, which was held as a securityâ€â€a play on the word â€â€for Israel's life (Gen. R. xlii.; Ex. R. xxxi.; Lev. R. xi.). Above all, death atones for sin (Sifre, Num. 112; Mek., Yitro, 7). "Let my death make atonement for all my sins," say men when dying or in peril (Ber. 60a; Sanh. vi. 2). Particularly the deathof the righteous atones for the sins of the people. "Like the sanctuary, he is taken as security ["mashkon"] for the life of the community" (Tan., Wayaḳhel 9; Ex. R. xxxv. 4; Lev. R. ii.).

Suffering or Death of the Righteous.

That the death of the righteous atones is learned from II Sam. xxi. 14, which says that after the burial of Saul and Jonathan "God was entreated for the land" (Pesiḳ. xxvii. 174b). "Where there are no righteous men in a generation to atone for the people, innocent school-children are taken away" (Shab. 33b). So also does the suffering of the righteous atone; as in the case of Ezekiel (Sanh. 39a) and Job (Ex. R. xxi.).

excerpt from "Atonement" http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view. ... 2&letter=A

also...as I had stated in other posts, the Jews traditionally consider that Messiah was one of the things created before the world...At the house I have a great book to have as a resource...it's title "The Messiah Texts" by Raphel Patai. In it, the book contains every scrap of information in Judaism concerning the Messiah. While reading the chapter concerning Messiah ben Joseph, there are excerpts describing God's dialoge (in heaven/pre creation) concerning his role. In the discourse God asks the pre-existant Messiah concerning the role of the suffering Messiah to which the Messiah gladly accepts the role....I will post the resource tomorrow...

einstein has previously talked about this issue:
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... c&start=30

Georges said:
I have been wrongly contending that Jesus was not an atonement sacrifice as he did not fill the qualifications of a "Sin", or "Passover" Sacrifice in the classical terms as given for the Passover sacrifice in the Torah.

As far as I know the passover sacrifice doesn't atone for sin.

According to Jews, what Jesus should have done if he were really the Messiah–

Amongst the most basic missions that the Messiah will accomplish during his lifetime (Isaiah 42:4) are to:

Oversee the rebuilding of Jerusalem, including the Third Temple, in the event that it has not yet been rebuilt (Michah 4:1 and Ezekiel 40-45)

Gather the Jewish people from all over the world and bring them home to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 11:12; 27:12-13)

Influence every individual of every nation to abandon and be ashamed of their former beliefs (or non-beliefs) and acknowledge and serve only the One True God of Israel (Isaiah 11:9-10; 40:5 and Zephaniah 3:9)

Bring about global peace throughout the world (Isaiah 2:4; 11:5-9 and Michah 4:3-4).
There are over a dozen additional prophecies which the Messiah will also achieve (there is no mention of any “second coming†in the Tanach or the New Testament). In order to avoid identifying the wrong individual as Messiah, the Code of Jewish Law dictates criteria for establishing the Messiah's identity (Mishnah Torah Kings 11:4):

"If a king arises from the House of David who meditates on the Torah, occupies himself with the commandments as did his ancestor King David, observes the commandments of the Written and Oral Law, prevails upon all Israel to walk in the way of the Torah and to follow its direction, and fights the wars of God, it may be assumed that he is the Messiah.

If he does these things and is fully successful, rebuilds the Third Temple on its location, and gathers the exiled Jews, he is beyond doubt the Messiah. But if he is not fully successful, or if he is killed, he is not the Messiah."

http://www.messiahtruth.com/response.html

there is no mention of any “second coming†in the Tanach or the New Testament

I'm not sure exactly what point is being made here, because the New Testament (at least) does mention a second coming.

Georges said:

1. Messiah ben Joseph (the suffering servant). Messiah ben Joseph would die and would be resurrected during the Messianic Kingdom.
2. Messiah ben David (the conquering king). This is the Messiah that will rid Israel of it's enemies and rule the Messianic Kingdom.

The Jews consider these as 2 separate individuals. Christians rightly (I believe) recognize these as 1 individual with 2 comings.

Where are you getting this idea of Judaism from?

Vic rightly challenged me on this by quoting Isa 53 (A Messianic prophetic chapter amidst a group of Messianic chapters). In particular...
Hey George...

It wasn't MY challange. :angel:

:wink:

DivineNames said:
Georges said:

As far as I know the passover sacrifice doesn't atone for sin.

It does not...that's what i was getting at. Passover is a Pass Over. Atonement was observed at Yom Kippur in the Fall.

DivineNames said:
Georges said:

The Jews consider these as 2 separate individuals. Christians rightly (I believe) recognize these as 1 individual with 2 comings.

Where are you getting this idea of Judaism from?

Type a Search concerning these two individuals....here is the link to "Messiah" and "Eschatology" that details this...www.jewishencyclopedia.com is the premier source on Judaism. It should be added to everyones favorites as a reference.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view. ... ch=Messiah

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view. ... schatology

The Jewish source for the precreation suffering Messiah....

There are Midrashim also that recognize that "He was wounded for our afflictions" speaks of the Messiah's affliction. (25) The Pesikta Rabbati, a rabbinic commentary, similarly portrays the Messiah as One who, before the creation, consented to suffer for the sins of the souls of men in order to redeem them. (26) The Zohar, in interpreting the scripture from Isaiah 53, "surely our sicknesses he has carried," recognized that the Messiah "summons every pain and every chastisement of Israel." (27) Generally, then, the Talmud, the Targum, the Midrashim, the Zohar and Pesikta Rabbati recognized a suffering Messiah in fulfillment of Isaiah 53 and other similar descriptions in the Tenach.

and from...[url]http://www.jesusplusnothing.com/ ... essiah.htm[/url]

...According to an ancient Jewish tale, God asked Messiah if he wanted to take upon himself the suffering for Israel’s sins. The Messiah replied,

“With gladness in my soul and with joy in my heart I accept it, so that not a single one of Israel should perish; and not only those who will be alive should be saved in my days, but even the dead who have died from the days of Adam the First man until now.†(Raphael Patai, The Messiah Texts, citing Pesikta Rabbati, pp. 161a-b)

and...

The Pesikta Rabbati, a rabbinic commentary, interprets the Messiah as One who, before creation, consented to suffer for the redemption of souls of men (Pesikta Rabbati, Piska 36:142). The Zohar (Zohar II, 212a) interprets a suffering Messiah-Servant, “surely our sickness he has carried.†The Jewish Targums also interprets the Servant as Messiah.

Georges said:
Type a Search concerning these two individuals

I will look into the two Messiah idea.

Two points which would disqualify Jesus as the Messiah is that he wouldn't have had Davidic lineage (supposed virgin birth) and that he wasn't actually anointed. Christians can always say that he was anointed by God, but that is meaningless and you can say it about anyone. I myself could claim to have been anointed by God for heaven's sake!

Warning... added by Admin
1 - This is a Christian site, therefore, any attempt to put down Christianity and the basic tenets of our Faith will be considered a hostile act. Statement of Faith Active promotion of sinful behavior will not be permitted. This includes promotion of homosexual behavior. Individual restrictions may apply on a Forum to Forum basis. Please check the announcements and stickeys at the top of each Forum.

DivineNames said:
Georges said:
Type a Search concerning these two individuals

I will look into the two Messiah idea.

Two points which would disqualify Jesus as the Messiah is that he wouldn't have had Davidic lineage (supposed virgin birth) and that he wasn't actually anointed. Christians can always say that he was anointed by God, but that is meaningless and you can say it about anyone. I myself could claim to have been anointed by God for heaven's sake!

Warning... added by Admin
1 - This is a Christian site, therefore, any attempt to put down Christianity and the basic tenets of our Faith will be considered a hostile act. Statement of Faith Active promotion of sinful behavior will not be permitted. This includes promotion of homosexual behavior. Individual restrictions may apply on a Forum to Forum basis. Please check the announcements and stickeys at the top of each Forum.

I'm not sure if I will incur the wrath of the mods if I write this publically, but here are a couple of things to consider...

Many of the Nazarene/Ebionite Christians (those descended from the Church at Jerusalem) did not agree with the virgin (untouched) birth of Jesus. The group considered Jesus as being concieved naturally.

If that is the case....He does qualify as descended from David.

Mod's if this post is against TOS please edit it.......I don't consider it antiChristian to state the above, that's what groups (Nazarene/Ebionite) who considered themselves believers in Jesus state.

Georges said:
Many of the Nazarene/Ebionite Christians (those descended from the Church at Jerusalem) did not agree with the virgin (untouched) birth of Jesus. The group considered Jesus as being concieved naturally.

If that is the case....He does qualify as descended from David.

Yes, possibly, although you would have the "Jechoniah curse" problem if you are going by the genealogy in Matthew. I believe that certain Jewish sources indicate that the curse was lifted, but those sources have no authority in Christianity so it doesn't help. There is an O.T. verse which is used to try and show that the curse is lifted, which I am not sure about.

With regard to the notion of a "suffering servant", there is no indication that I am aware of that Jesus suffered much in his life.

Back