Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Jesus' prayer "Thy Will Be Done" and our death of the self life

lesjude

No, Jesus only prayed "thy will be done" when He was struggling in His flesh with the agony of going to the cross. He knew God's will as the Son of God and the Son of Man but the flesh was struggling.
This is a far cry for the Bride of Christ coming in childlike assurance of faith knowing God's will to ask and receive healing, forgiveness of sin, daily provision, or any other positive promise of Father God. 2 Corinthians 1:20
Christians will have the same type of struggle when the Holy Spirit deals with the death of the self life. It can be VERY painful to deal with the things Jesus says are required of disciples:
Luke 14:25-27New King James Version (NKJV)

25 Now great multitudes went with Him. And He turned and said to them, 26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. 27 And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.

Examples of our death to self on our "cross":

A spouse giving an ultimatum Jesus or me.
Leaving a secure well paying job because it does not fit in the Kingdom of God.
Leaving behind affection for all materialism.
Compromising or not to please children or family.
Giving up our rights to sue, protest, petition, etc for the sake of demonstrating the Kingdom of heaven to others.
Taking a stand against idols like Daniel, Shadrack, Meshack, and Abed-Nego did or compromising.
Disciplining our thought patterns or not i.e. Matthew 6:25.
Curbing our flesh on popular entertainment and culture.
Taking an unpopular stand on the principles of Christian behavior like swearing an oath, military service, jury duty, retaliation for wrongs, anonymous giving
Avoiding persecution as a Christian at all costs or REJOICING when it happens.

Back