Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Judging and the New Testament

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
C

ChristineES

I looked up a few verses and thought I would share them with the board about what Jesus had to say about Judgement. There are a lot more verses on this subject. :)

He that believeth on him is not judged: he that believeth not hath been judged already, because he hath not believed on the name of the only begotten Son of God.(John 3:18 )

Judge not, that ye be not judged.(Mat 7:1)

And judge not, and ye shall not be judged: and condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: release, and ye shall be released:sadLuke 6:37)

For neither doth the Father JUDGE any man, but he hath given all judgment unto the Son (John 5:22)

Yea and if I JUDGE, my judgment is true; for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me. (John 8:16)

If you read those scriptures and others like it, I think my point is self explanatory. But I guess I can explain:

Only God can judge, and he gave that to the Son ( Jesus). People should not judge others, unless they want to be judged. And lastly, those who have not accepted God through Jesus have already been judged (or condemned, as another translation will say).

Christian,

It is true that we are not to judge regarding eternal destiny. God is working on all of mankind and he mercifully delays our judgement that we all might be saved. Some will not however. It is not true that we are not to judge whether another is doing wrong. If you read 1 Cor 5 Paul chastises the community because they do not cast out a man who is in an illicit relationship.

1Cor.5
[1]

It is actually reported that there is immorality among you, and of a kind that is not found even among pagans; for a man is living with his father's wife.
[2] And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you.
[3]
For though absent in body I am present in spirit, and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment
[4] in the name of the Lord Jesus on the man who has done such a thing. When you are assembled, and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus,
[5] you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

He tells us in several places that we are supposed to rebuke the sinner. i.e.

1 Titus
[12] One of themselves, a prophet of their own, said, "Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons."
[13] This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,

There are times the we are supposed to be gentle in correction as well:

2 Tim 2
[24] And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kindly to every one, an apt teacher, forbearing,
[25] correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant that they will repent and come to know the truth,
[26] and they may escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.

In order to correct someone it requires that we have made a judgement that they are wrong.

There are many othere verses I could site that show we are to speak out when one is doing wrong but I don't have alot of time right now. Hopefully we are in agreement here.

God bless

ChristineES said:
If you read those scriptures and others like it, I think my point is self explanatory. But I guess I can explain:

Only God can judge, and he gave that to the Son ( Jesus). People should not judge others, unless they want to be judged. And lastly, those who have not accepted God through Jesus have already been judged (or condemned, as another translation will say).

Who is judging whom?

I think you misunderstand the meaning. Rebuking someone is not the same as judging someone. Saying to someone that they are doing something they should not be doing is not judging. Judging is the same as condemning; that is, telling someone "you will go to hell if you do that" is judging but saying "you really should not do that since you are a Christian" is not judging.

I really don't expect everyone to believe in my reasoning, but this is what I have come to believe during my studies of the Bible. :wink:

God Bless You and Keep You.

gingercat said:
ChristineES said:

Who is judging whom?

Sorry for the confusion, I am talking in general terms, I am not accusing anyone on this board of judging. Just wanted to start a discussion. I am enjoying myself immensely on a couple of these debates!!

ChristineES said:
I think you misunderstand the meaning. Rebuking someone is not the same as judging someone. Saying to someone that they are doing something they should not be doing is not judging. Judging is the same as condemning; that is, telling someone "you will go to hell if you do that" is judging but saying "you really should not do that since you are a Christian" is not judging.

I really don't expect everyone to believe in my reasoning, but this is what I have come to believe during my studies of the Bible. :wink:

God Bless You and Keep You.

I think I disagree in degrees with your definition but I don't think we disagree on the theology. I do think it is a sense of the word judging. But that for me is not worth debating.

God bless

ChristineES said:

Isn't tolerance a judgment? Aren't we judging by saying its ok? Tolerance is prejudicial so therefore tolerance is a judgment.

Sothenes said:
ChristineES said:

Isn't tolerance a judgment? Aren't we judging by saying its ok? Tolerance is prejudicial so therefore tolerance is a judgment.

No, I don't think so. Think of a judge on a bench at a courtroom. The judge is not accusing anyone, the lawyers are doing that and they are also defending the individual. The judge passes down the sentence after all the evidence is weighed by the jury and they decide if the individual did the crime or not.
Also, Tolerance is something that is handed out too easily nowadays. The media seems to want us all to accept everyone just as they are, no matter what they do. Tolerance is okay for things such as race or whatever, but one really should not expect that every one will accept what he does. Such things such as laying with a man as a woman is against what the bible teaches, and therefore, I can't accept it. But by not accepting it does not mean I can tell if that person is going to hell or not. It is not my place to do so. Only Jesus (God)has that right. If I did accept it, it would be the same, I have no right to say that individual is going to heaven. Only Jesus (God) can do that.
I hope you understand what I am trying to say. I am not always clear. :biggrin

Back