Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Look More Like Jesus

WalterandDebbie

CF Ambassador
Sabbath Overseer
Tuesday 8-27-24 3rd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Av 22 5784 69th. Summer Day

Today's Devotional

Read: John 17:6-17 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 120-122; 1 Corinthians 9

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. John 17:16

God designed the great gray owl as a master of camouflage. Its silver-gray feathers have a collective pattern of coloring which allows it to blend into the bark when perched in trees. When the owls want to remain unseen, they hide in plain sight, blending into their environment with the help of their feathery camouflage.

God’s people are often too much like the great gray owl. We can easily blend into the world and remain unrecognized as believers in Christ, intentionally or unintentionally. Jesus prayed for His disciples—those the Father gave Him “out of the world” who “obeyed” His Word (John 17:6).

God the Son asked God the Father to protect and empower them to live in holiness and persevering joy after He left them (vv. 7-13). He said, “My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one” (v. 15). Jesus knew His disciples needed to be made holy and set apart so they could live out the purpose He’d sent them to fulfill (vv. 16-19).

The Holy Spirit can help us turn from the temptation to become masters of camouflage that blend into the world. When we submit to Him daily, we can look more like Jesus. As we live in unity and love, He’ll draw others to Christ in all His glory.

In what area of your life can you ask God to make you more like Jesus? How has God used others to draw you closer because of the way they lived and loved like Jesus?

Holy Spirit, please make me look so much like Jesus that others will be drawn to seek the one true God.
For further study, read Remade in the Image of Jesus.

INSIGHT​

The Scriptures don’t often record what Jesus prayed because He often prayed alone (Matthew 14:23; Mark 1:35; Luke 9:18). On some occasions, however, He wanted us to hear His prayers for our benefit (see Matthew 6:9-13; John 11:42). John 17, known as “Jesus’ High Priestly Prayer,” is one such prayer.

It reveals His deepest concern for us. It’s the longest of Christ’s recorded prayers and can be summarized this way: Jesus prays for His glory (vv. 1-5), His disciples’ security (vv. 6-12), His disciples’ sanctity (vv. 13-19), and the church’s unity (vv. 20-26).

By Xochitl Dixon|August 27th, 2024

Love, Walter And Debbie

Back