Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Luke 7:14-17

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Luke 7:14-17 Revised Standard Version (RSV)

14 And he came and touched the bier, and the bearers stood still. And he said, “Young man, I say to you, arise.” 15 And the dead man sat up, and began to speak. And he gave him to his mother. 16 Fear seized them all; and they glorified God, saying, “A great prophet has arisen among us!” and “God has visited his people!” 17 And this report concerning him spread through the whole of Judea and all the surrounding country.

Revised Standard Version (RSV) Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright © 1946, 1952, and 1971 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

14 So he touched the casket, this wasn’t done by Jews who weren’t carrying the ark because it would make them unclean. Jesus did this knowing He was going to rise this young man from the dead. Touching the casket got their attention, it isn’t said whether it was because he touched the casket, stood in their way, or whether they knew this was Jesus but they stopped in their tracks. When Jesus comes into our life we should stop in our tracks because we are to start walking in His.

15-16 The man speaking, this had to have been a joyous happening but had to have been scary at first seeing a man come out of the casket and speak. God’s work can often scare people. They were fearful but they let this fear motivate their worship for the Lord. Worship out of fear fades quickly, we need to worship by fear thru love. The love makes the worship more then just a reaction.

17 So the news got out again, word travels, it may have taken longer then but it still traveled then, people would have wanted to come and see Jesus because of this. Does what we share make others want to come to Jesus?

Luke 7:14-17 Revised Standard Version (RSV)

14 And he came and touched the bier, and the bearers stood still. And he said, “Young man, I say to you, arise.” 15 And the dead man sat up, and began to speak. And he gave him to his mother. 16 Fear seized them all; and they glorified God, saying, “A great prophet has arisen among us!” and “God has visited his people!” 17 And this report concerning him spread through the whole of Judea and all the surrounding country.

Revised Standard Version (RSV) Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright © 1946, 1952, and 1971 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

14 So he touched the casket, this wasn’t done by Jews who weren’t carrying the ark because it would make them unclean. Jesus did this knowing He was going to rise this young man from the dead. Touching the casket got their attention, it isn’t said whether it was because he touched the casket, stood in their way, or whether they knew this was Jesus but they stopped in their tracks. When Jesus comes into our life we should stop in our tracks because we are to start walking in His.

15-16 The man speaking, this had to have been a joyous happening but had to have been scary at first seeing a man come out of the casket and speak. God’s work can often scare people. They were fearful but they let this fear motivate their worship for the Lord. Worship out of fear fades quickly, we need to worship by fear thru love. The love makes the worship more then just a reaction.

17 So the news got out again, word travels, it may have taken longer then but it still traveled then, people would have wanted to come and see Jesus because of this. Does what we share make others want to come to Jesus?

Clark,

Are the words you added to these verses meant to be your applications of these verses or are you using allegorical interpretation of these verses. What is allegorical interpretation?

Allegorical interpretation, sometimes called allegorizing, is interpretation of texts that treats them as allegorical, whether or not their author intended them to be allegories. Allegorical interpretations even of true allegories can be misleading, either in incorrectly identifying the corresponding elements in the referent or in identifying corresponding elements where no correspondence was originally intended. Either allegorizing error usually detracts from the coherence of the message the author intended. Such unwarranted allegorizing was prevalent in the later church fathers and often ludicrous in gnostic circles (source).​

This is my response to what you posted.

Oz

Hello Clark and welcome aboard the USS CF.net! The RSV is a great reference version of the scriptures. I feel it is a great tool to teach people not to just read the scriptures but, rather to internalize them into their very being and I believe as you do on this passage. I primarily use the NASB because I prefer as close as possible Word for Word translation. Great beginning for the string.

(((( Does what we share make others want to come to Jesus?)))

Luke 9:
59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
60 But he said unto him, Leave the dead to bury their own dead; but go thou and publish abroad the kingdom of God.
61 And another also said, I will follow thee, Lord; but first suffer me to bid farewell to them that are at my house.
62 But Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

John 3:
18 He that believeth on him is not judged: he that believeth not hath been judged already, because he hath not believed on the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the judgment, that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their works were evil.
20 For every one that [1] doeth evil hateth the light, and cometh not to the light, lest his works should be [2] reproved.*n6
21 But he that doeth the truth cometh to the light, that his works may be made manifest, [1] that they have been wrought in God.

Apparently Jesus knew where not to sow seed. You don't throw pearls before swine. And you don't speak wisdom in the ears of a fool, for they will despise your wisdom..
One thing the Lord hates, is wasted seed.
http://christianforums.net/Fellowsh...e&type=n&value=1&module=ASV&passage=John+3:21

Thanks clark thompson .. Good post...
As it seems to me....I love the way Jesus understood the Spirit of the laws .. Showing His Grace ,,,,
Does what we share make others want to come to Jesus?
I do hope in the up coming days folks will see Jesus in me.. Thanks again

Hello Clark and welcome aboard the USS CF.net! The RSV is a great reference version of the scriptures. I feel it is a great tool to teach people not to just read the scriptures but, rather to internalize them into their very being and I believe as you do on this passage. I primarily use the NASB because I prefer as close as possible Word for Word translation. Great beginning for the string.

Bill,

The RSV is not only a great reference version of the Scriptures but an excellent first Bible. Perfect? I hardly think so when human beings are involved in translation. There are a few verses in RSV and NRSV that I would question, but overall, I find these 2 versions to be pretty good translations. Of course, the contemporary ESV is based on the RSV, so the publishers of the ESV, Crossway Books - an evangelical publisher - wouldn't choose the RSV if it was a below standard translation.

I find the NASB to be an excellent translation - used it for years - but now I use the ESV, NIV, and NLT as my primary versions. The NIV now has the NIRV (New International Readers' Version) for a lower literacy level. Let's check out how the word-for-word works.

What is a word-for-word translation?

Let's use Luke 7:14 as an example

Greek (Lk 7:14 SBLGNT): καὶ προσελθὼν ἥψατο τῆς σοροῦ, οἱ δὲ βαστάζοντες ἔστησαν, καὶ εἶπεν· Νεανίσκε, σοὶ λέγω, ἐγέρθητι.

Transliteration of Greek (Lk 7:14): kai proselthòn èphato tès sorou hoi de bastazontes kai eipen neaniske soi legò egerthèti

Literal translation & grammar [in square brackets] (Lk 7:14): and [connective conjunction] he came up [aorist, active participle] he touched for himself [aorist, active, middle voice] the coffin the and those bearing [verb, present, participle, active, plural] stopped [verb, aorist, indicative, active] and he said [verb, aorist, indicative active] young man [noun, vocative, masculine singular] to you [personal pronoun, dative, 2nd person, singular] I say [verb, present, indicative, active] arise [verb, aorist, imperative, singular].

Therefore, I suggest that a truly literal translation in English is: and he came up he touched for himself the coffin the and those bearing stopped and he said young man to you I say arise.

The NASB (Lk 7:14) translates as, 'And He came up and touched the coffin; and the bearers came to a halt. And He said, “Young man, I say to you, arise!"'

The NIRV (Lk 7:14) is: 'Then he went up and touched the coffin. Those carrying it stood still. Jesus said, “Young man, I say to you, get up!”

The NIV (Lk 7:14): 'Then he went up and touched the bier they were carrying him on, and the bearers stood still. He said, “Young man, I say to you, get up!”'

The NLT (Lk 7:14): 'Then he walked over to the coffin and touched it, and the bearers stopped. “Young man,” he said, “I tell you, get up.”'

While the NASB is very close to a word-for-word translation, it still had to add a word and change word order to make sense in English. As one who has translated many passages from the Greek NT into English, I've found it is impossible to do a literal translation without adding some words to make it meaningful for English readers.

Since there was no punctuation in the Greek and no spaces between words and all words being in uncials (capital letters), there is a further challenge, although not too difficult, to decide on the beginning and ending of words and the paragraph divisions.

I find the meaning-for-meaning, dynamic equivalence translations of the NIV, NIRV and NLT to be excellent for conveying the meaning of Scriptures. This is the method used by Wycliffe Bible Translators as they translate the Bible into language groups that don't have their language in written form. This is Wycliffe's estimate:

Latest Bible translation statistics
We believe that God speaks directly to every man, woman and child through the Bible. But unless people have the Bible in their heart language, they cannot read his message of life, hope and salvation. Millions of people still don't have a single verse of Scripture.
Let's take a closer look at the needs.

How many people have access to Scripture in their mother tongue?
264-nikigmeb5a6fwh2ylyafzsfs.jpg

The full Bible is now available in 636 different languages, giving over 5,135 billion people access to Scripture in the language they understand best. The New Testament is available in another 1,442 languages, reaching another 685 million people. Selections and stories are available in a further 1,145 other languages, spoken by 434 million people.

How many languages still need translation?
In addition to over 2,422 active projects worldwide, work may need to be done in a further 1,700–1,800 languages.

266-wslbyrdt4sxvorkoisahpyij.jpg

How many people have no Scripture?
There are an estimated 160 million people without access to any Scripture in their heart language and may need some form of Bible translation to begin. At least 1.5 billion people are without the full Bible in their first language.​

Blessings,
Oz

Great post! I misspoke and because of my service ln Europe and Asia, coupled living so close to the Southern Border I knew the issues with translations and sometimes try to point it out to people but never so eloquently as you have done here. Thank you and may God bless your ministry.

Great post! I misspoke and because of my service ln Europe and Asia, coupled living so close to the Southern Border I knew the issues with translations and sometimes try to point it out to people but never so eloquently as you have done here. Thank you and may God bless your ministry.

Bill,

Thank you for your kindness in your response to me. I trust that you have a great time and ministry with the Lord.

Because of Him,
Oz

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back