Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Napolean Dinamite-any good reviews?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
G

Godslove1603

My youth group is doing a six week study based on the Movie Napolean Dinamite (sorry, I am bad at spelling) I didn't know that the movie was considered "christian appropriate" but I have heard that it is really funny. Any body here seen the movie and can give me a quick review? Thanks!

Hey coincidently we just watched it!
It was so stupid and realistic until it was hilarious, but how in the world would you do a six week study about nothing??
My husband kept asking me what the point of the movie was, he didn't think it was as funny as I did. :-D
I think most people can relate to this movie because most people know at least one Napolean, I know I sure do. Heres a link full of reviews from this forum....

http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=12826

I think that each part is better than the sum of its parts. Basically, the movie as a whole has no purpose, but taken in parts it is hilarious.

I kind of agree with scitso, there was no point. But that doesn't make it bad at all, it was one of the most hilarious movies I have ever seen. No real plot, except maybe dorky guy gets dorky girl, but well worth the watch.

I'm really wondering how on earth you could get a 6 week study out of it.

I would definately say the movie was Christian friendly. Almost the entire cast was mormon buddies from brigham young. The mormons aren't Christian from my point of view, but they are very careful about what they consider moral and clean. Except the whole previous belief in polygamy thing. :-?

It seems to be one of those movies that people either liked or disliked.

Personally, I feel it's a movie I could've gone without watching. How anyone can do a one week Bible study on it -- let alone a six week study -- is beyond me. :o It's not like there was a lot of content in the movie.

Yeah, now after watching it, I am not sure how they are going to get a six week study, either. We had our first meeting two days ago and they talked about lying...Napolean does a whole lot of that in the movie... :biggrin
The title for the study is "a study of life...a study of sweetness" Tells you a whole lot, doesn't it?
lol

Vice said:
It seems to be one of those movies that people either liked or disliked.

Personally, I feel it's a movie I could've gone without watching. How anyone can do a one week Bible study on it -- let alone a six week study -- is beyond me. :o It's not like there was a lot of content in the movie.

I'm With the dislike side. I just didn't get it. I'm all for a little pointless behavior, but the whole movie is a bunch of extremely pointless behavior. It's not often I'll dislike a movie, but I just didn't like this movie at all. Vice, I agree with you completely.

I loved the movie. I know people think it was pointless but that is the point...no point! Anyway it is best to see the movie with people who have seen it...and love it.

Nocturnal_Principal_X said:
I loved the movie. I know people think it was pointless but that is the point...no point! Anyway it is best to see the movie with people who have seen it...and love it.

Kinda like Seinfeld. It was movie about nothin.

I see "vote for Pedro" tee shirts everwhere. I hear people using lines from the movie all the time.

One of the local youth pastors said this when he asked how a former member of his youth group had met his new bride. The young man answered that he had met her on line in a Christian Chatroom.

The youth pastor replied...

"Lucky!" :biggrin

Napoleon Dynamite rocks!

i admit that when i first rented it and it s l o w l y started to unfold I thought, man, this might be a waste of money. but the way jon heder delivered his lines was so stupid it was funny.

What I liked about Napoleon Dynamite--besides his name, was that he wasn't trying to be like anyone else but himself. His sense of style, dance, speech, art & everything else, was all his own with no apology.

Even when he was telling lies he was honest--honestly ridiculous, therefore honestly himself. His lies were even laugh worthy--though i don't advocate lying.

He did come across overly out there to the point that one would ask, Is this guy on something? But knowing that he'd be the type to say, "I would never defile my body with such substances. I can't even believe you asked that. Gosh!", makes me love him more.

In real life, I wouldn't mind having him as a friend, or an acquaintance, provided we only chat every now and then and only for a limited amount of time. Cause in all honesty, someone like that I'd need to take in small doses.

He danced for that assembly the way we should all dance--like no one was watching. That alone touched my heart. It was more important to help his friend Pedro than to not possibly look like an idiot in front of the school. He deserved that standing ovation. How do like them tater-tots, you phony popular people?!

P.S. i loved the White Stipes opening song. It perfectly accompanied the great visuals of cafeteria meals and note book doodlings,etc. And it was cool to see that other people know about syrup and peanut butter sandwiches.

P.S.SSST And i love the 80's song The Promise (by When In Rome) played at the end credits. Great song. And call me whatever, but I love Napoleon's brother's wedding song to his bride. I think it was beautiful

stardust

He is the poster child of not giving up in highschool. i had a major love for him just because he was pathetic but also he just doesn't give up. I love the film..wanna know how many times I've seen it? :lol: :lol:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back