Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

New Films Say Jesus Had Kids

Lewis

REEL NEWS
New Films Say Jesus Had Kids
Johnny Depp's Rex Mundi concerns "descendants of Jesus," while The Magdalena involves "holy female warriors" descended from Mary Magdalene. Plus: Von Trier's Antichrist; Disney's Secretariat; Harry Potter's new release date; and more.
by Josh Hurst | posted 08/18/08

Hollywood has some experience with movies purporting Jesus Christ to have been involved with Mary Magdalene, even to have had children by herâ€â€anyone remember The Da Vinci Code?â€â€but, apparently, it hasn't had enough. Not one but two new films will explore the conceptâ€â€and both of them just happen to be based on comic books.

The more high profile of the two is likely to be Rex Mundi, based on the graphic novel of the same name and starring Johnny Depp, who will also produce. The film, currently in need of a director, is said to involve both "descendants of Jesus" and a search for the Holy Grail. The film is reportedly set "in an alternate history where Martin Luther was assassinated, the Reformation never took place, and the Catholic Church still reigns supreme." The graphic novel itself takes place in the 1930s, "in a world where the Inquisition still runs rampant, Europe is ruled by monarchs, but magic manages to exist." Depp reportedly was interested in the project "not because he's a comic reader, but because he's keenly interested in the Templar Knights."

Meanwhile, The Hollywood Reporter notes that another, similarly-themed comic bookâ€â€The Magdalenaâ€â€is being adapted into a movie, one that will tell the story of "a hot, holy warrior," a "woman who discovers that she's a part of the lineage of female warriors descended from Mary Magdalene who fight supernatural evil." In the comic book, Jesus is said to have married Magdalene and had children with her. Jenna Dewan will star in the movie alongside Luke Goss, who in recent years has gone from playing a biblical character (Xerxes in One Night with The King) to a demon (Prince Nuada in Hellboy II) to an "agent sent by the secret organization that has been the guardian of the lineage."http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/news/blog-080818.html

Yeah your right.....does sound like the Da Vinci Code all over again. I think movies like that unless your a very mature christian, can shake one's faith and open windows of confusion..... basically being a stumbling block.

Kudos HIM,
Carol <><

Stereotypes of the RCC in the Renniassance aside, it's the Da Vinci Code all over again. Same unsubstantiated claims, same easy refutations.

Considering how "great" of a movie the Da Vinci Code turned out to be, I'm looking forward to seeing great success at the box office for these flicks. :wink:

67p5di.jpg

Disgusting & blasphemous, Hollywood is a breeding ground for evil a retreat for
evil spirits and a shrine for the Un-Godly

I don't see why it's that big a deal. They aren't done in the DaVinci Code style, in the sense that they're sending a message that there's some vast conspiracy surrounding Jesus. Rex Mundi doesn't really bother me too much at all. They've changed all sorts of facts about Christianity, and while I've never read the comics, it seems they do it more out of fun and creativity's sake than out of any sort of attack on the faith. Martin Luther got assassinated? The Catholic Church took over the entire world? Jesus had kids? Sure, why not? It might not be exactly edifying to God (or maybe it could be? Depends on the plot and themes, I suppose. It's all technically lies, but they're lies in the sense that saying "the sky is green" is a lie. They don't seem to be deliberately attempting to mislead anybody, and it seems to be construed in a way that they won't, so perhaps it will have some redeeming values after all), but at least it's not going to hurt too many people's faith.

There's a difference between a woman who is a descendent of Jesus who discovers her lineage, unravels a web of deception and discovers that all of Christianity is a lie, and a woman who is a descendent of Jesus who battles supernatural powers. One is an attack on Christianity that could cause some to doubt and even turn away from God and harden the hearts of those who don't know Him, the other sounds like the brainchild of a confused Christian who watches too much Xena.

In short, the two films might not exactly be the most glorifying things in the world, but they seem pretty harmless as far as attacking people's beliefs goes.

EDIT: I guess the point I was trying to make was that the thread topic seemed to be a little misleading as from what I can tell neither of these movies seem to be suggesting that Jesus actually had kids. They both seem a little over-the-top for that. It strikes me more as a plot device they thought would be fun.

EDIT #2: All that being said, it's a bit of a sad comment on our culture when you think about it. Jesus has been reduced to something that people look at and say "Wow, imagine if He could have kids, and like transfer supernatural power through His bloodline? That would be sooo cool! Someone should make a movie about it!" I can see the next thing being a super-hero style of movie where Satan decides to take over the world and Jesus comes down and fights him or gives His powers to some Ordinary Teenage Boy who uses them to destroy Satan (or rather, re-imprison... gotta leave room for a sequel!).

starac.gif

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Not a big deal?

KingCrimson said:
I don't see why it's that big a deal. They aren't done in the DaVinci Code style, in the sense that they're sending a message that there's some vast conspiracy surrounding Jesus. Rex Mundi doesn't really bother me too much at all. They've changed all sorts of facts about Christianity, and while I've never read the comics, it seems they do it more out of fun and creativity's sake than out of any sort of attack on the faith. Martin Luther got assassinated? The Catholic Church took over the entire world? Jesus had kids? Sure, why not? It might not be exactly edifying to God (or maybe it could be? Depends on the plot and themes, I suppose. It's all technically lies, but they're lies in the sense that saying "the sky is green" is a lie. They don't seem to be deliberately attempting to mislead anybody, and it seems to be construed in a way that they won't, so perhaps it will have some redeeming values after all), but at least it's not going to hurt too many people's faith.

There's a difference between a woman who is a descendent of Jesus who discovers her lineage, unravels a web of deception and discovers that all of Christianity is a lie, and a woman who is a descendent of Jesus who battles supernatural powers. One is an attack on Christianity that could cause some to doubt and even turn away from God and harden the hearts of those who don't know Him, the other sounds like the brainchild of a confused Christian who watches too much Xena.

In short, the two films might not exactly be the most glorifying things in the world, but they seem pretty harmless as far as attacking people's beliefs goes.

EDIT: I guess the point I was trying to make was that the thread topic seemed to be a little misleading as from what I can tell neither of these movies seem to be suggesting that Jesus actually had kids. They both seem a little over-the-top for that. It strikes me more as a plot device they thought would be fun.

EDIT #2: All that being said, it's a bit of a sad comment on our culture when you think about it. Jesus has been reduced to something that people look at and say "Wow, imagine if He could have kids, and like transfer supernatural power through His bloodline? That would be sooo cool! Someone should make a movie about it!" I can see the next thing being a super-hero style of movie where Satan decides to take over the world and Jesus comes down and fights him or gives His powers to some Ordinary Teenage Boy who uses them to destroy Satan (or rather, re-imprison... gotta leave room for a sequel!).

EDIT #2: All that being said, it's a bit of a sad comment on our culture when you think about it. Jesus has been reduced to something that people look at and say "Wow, imagine if He could have kids, and like transfer supernatural power through His bloodline? That would be sooo cool! Someone should make a movie about it!" I can see the next thing being a super-hero style of movie where Satan decides to take over the world and Jesus comes down and fights him or gives His powers to some Ordinary Teenage Boy who uses them to destroy Satan (or rather, re-imprison... gotta leave room for a sequel!

I think this is exactly where these films are coming from. However, I do see the danger in this. As a parent, I've struggled with the same concept when faced with allowing my kids to watch animated movies based on the Bible. Believe it or not, when they were young, I was much more hesitant to allow my kids to watch Bible based animation than I was to allow them to watch Cinderella or Peter Pan. The reason being that I didn't want them to get the idea that the Bible is one big fairy tale. Which I believe is at the heart of these movies, even the DaVinci Code, that the Bible is a big fairy tale that can be twisted and 'improved' upon at will.

Didn't we already have a movie in which God gives an ordinary guy His powers, Bruce Almighty or something like that? I think Jim Carrey made one and I think there is a sequel loosely based on the Noah story about it. (Not sure, I won't watch movies like that.)

Anyway, yes, reducing God to be on par with Superman or Spiderman is a very effective way to indoctrinate kids into believing that faith is nothing more than fairy tale. And yes, that is dangerous.

I find such movies interesting for a couple of reasons, despite their erroneous claims. Firstly, it almost seems that people, while denying the historicity of the NT and the claims made by the Church about Jesus, are deeply hoping that Jesus really was the Son of God, or at least a real, historical person. The only way they can do this is by having a physical connection to Jesus through his supposed descendants. It is a search for hope and meaning.

Secondly, it is interesting to see how people outside the Church view Jesus, which in turn is really a commentary on the effectiveness, or lack thereof, of the Church. It is an opportunity to see where we have failed in communicating the truth claims of the Bible. In essence, it shows how we individually have failed to reflect the image of Christ.

So while it is easy to say how factually wrong these movies are, and it needs to be said and the historicity of Christ defended, it should cause us to examine ourselves to see where we have gone wrong so we can ask God to help us better reflect Christ to the world. It is an opportunity to see what the world is seeking after, so that we can give answers to the questions they are actually asking.

Well I can only go by what the Bible says as a Christian loyal to my Savior. And like I said before, it takes a very mature Christian to view such movies for analization, or entertainment. When I watch it for educational purposes so if anyone came to me with questions, all it manage to do is totally tick me off.......and I mean totally!!!

Second I can only make my decision by experience. I've just went through a series of serious questions with my godson (21 yrs. old) who watched the Da Vinci Code, and it through him into a spiritual tail spin in his faith and his father whose deaf also. So for the last 3 weeks I've had to show them via Bible and just sitting down and explaining the facts of Jesus Christ and HIS existence. Plus sharing my personal experiences I have with our Savior. Prayers answered instantly at times, and just asking them to take a good look at the beauty our Lord provided when HE created this world with us in mind. Deaf people loose so much of the hearing world as it is, even with close caption. And it's very hard at times with sign language, because there's some words in the hearing world that don't exist in the deaf world. Words that need to be said, are left unsaid, or spelled out with sign. So outside of my fingers and hands being sore from signing, to have a deaf person faith shaken is a serious matter. And it tore me to pieces that either one of them could question whether HE was the Son of God, died and rose again, and ascended to heaven. Thank God I'm blest that they respect me highly as a Teacher Minister, and have trust in me enough to break it all down for them. Just the last few days they are seeing the Truth again by being here at our home. But for them to watch a movie suggesting that Christ went against the Word, just threw them into total confusion. So this don't effect just weak/baby christians, it effects the deaf community also. So to say what's the big deal?

I would consider it a very big deal when it's a stumbling block to baby christians or the deaf. They thought the stupid movie was a real documentry. The hours of research I had to do to show them, like earlier I posted about the first christian church discovered in 2004 built in 313 AD in Meggido next to the Valley of Armaggedon at a prison, and the Shroud of Turin, and the Arc of the Covenant. Especailly the first christian church in 313 AD, I had to point out if Jesus wasn't who HE was, then why would they have also in the writting of the mosaic mentioning God our Jesus Christ. So when I started showing them if Christ wasn't who the Bible says HE is, then why have these items held so much value and have survived these last 2000 years. Has legends of anyone else personally survived the ages, outside of the relics of Eygpt? And personally I believe the relics of Eygpt support the existence of Jesus in scripture that are mentioned in the Bible. And if it wasn't for this forum and our discussions being observed by them towering over behind me like a bunch of trees reading them, well lets say seeing others in agreement with what I telling them and reading to them and showing them, Lord knows what would have happened if they didn't stay here. And personally I believe that is why they had some financial problems and had to stay here for the last month and I praise God for being in control and bringing them here for that reason alone. When movies endanger a soul existence of where it spends eternity....well that's a probem to me.

That's like they got this movie out I believe it's title is "Bones" with the actor Antonio Banderas as a catholic priest where supposively they found the bones of Jesus Christ, and the catholic church was trying to keep it from coming public cause then it would prove that Jesus was just a simple man, and the christian faith was a lie. I would never allow anyone who wasn't a mature christian to ever watch it. I watch them so I can help when someone comes to me with questions and I really struggle with my anger of them when I do watch them so I can stay on top of things.

So yes this is a very serious problem.....

Kudos HIM, Carol <><

Carol Lowery said:
Second I can only make my decision by experience. I've just went through a series of serious questions with my godson (21 yrs. old) who watched the Da Vinci Code, and it through him into a spiritual tail spin in his faith and his father whose deaf also. So for the last 3 weeks I've had to show them via Bible and just sitting down and explaining the facts of Jesus Christ and HIS existence. Plus sharing my personal experiences I have with our Savior. Prayers answered instantly at times, and just asking them to take a good look at the beauty our Lord provided when HE created this world with us in mind. Deaf people loose so much of the hearing world as it is, even with close caption. And it's very hard at times with sign language, because there's some words in the hearing world that don't exist in the deaf world. Words that need to be said, are left unsaid, or spelled out with sign...
....I would consider it a very big deal when it's a stumbling block to baby christians or the deaf. They thought the stupid movie was a real documentry. The hours of research I had to do to show them, like earlier I posted about the first christian church discovered in 2004 built in 313 AD in Meggido next to the Valley of Armaggedon at a prison, and the Shroud of Turin, and the Arc of the Covenant. Especailly the first christian church in 313 AD, I had to point out if Jesus wasn't who HE was, then why would they have also in the writting of the mosaic mentioning God our Jesus Christ. So when I started showing them if Christ wasn't who the Bible says HE is, then why have these items held so much value and have survived these last 2000 years. Has legends of anyone else personally survived the ages, outside of the relics of Eygpt? And personally I believe the relics of Eygpt support the existence of Jesus in scripture that are mentioned in the Bible. And if it wasn't for this forum and our discussions being observed by them towering over behind me like a bunch of trees reading them, well lets say seeing others in agreement with what I telling them and reading to them and showing them, Lord knows what would have happened if they didn't stay here. And personally I believe that is why they had some financial problems and had to stay here for the last month...
...So yes this is a very serious problem...

Kudos HIM, Carol <><

I agree, the Da-vinci code has been responsible for turning many away from Christ, mainly because of the authors insistence that his work of fiction is based on factual 'evidence' he fails to mention that even harshest critics of Christianity agree that his novel has no value outside of the realm of 'entertainment'.

KingCrimson said:

Heh. Ahh.. it's been done already, it was a movie called Constantine starring Keanu Reves. Based on a comic book series with, yes, caricatures of the RCC as the plotline and Tilda Swinton as the (Evil) Archangel Gabriel and Peter Stormare playing Satan, who is defeated in true comic book form by Keanu's character. Yes folks, the Word is used as comic book fodder already, and action movie versions done with A-list actors. Nothing new here.

Back