Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

New US law may have devestating effects for small businesses

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

ewe-turn

Most average people are totally unaware of a potentially devestating new law in the US set to take effect on Feb. 10.

It's called the CPSIA law, and it's intended to protect children from lead tainted products by requiring ANY item manufactured for children aged 12 or younger to be tested and certified as safe by the new standards.

The problem is that this law is very poorly written, and as it stands right now would drive many small businesses and charities that are involved with kids' products under. Why? Because the tests that would be required are VERY expensive, for one thing. Large corporations could handle the costs, but not small business or craftspeople.

Yes, craftspeople too. Even individuals who make kids' items from home would be required to be certified before they could legally sell, give away as gifts, or even donate their items. Penalties for violating this new law are stiff: enormous fines and/or imprisonment. It would be a felony!

Existing kids' items are so far not exempt. Meaning that after this law goes into effect, legally NO ONE can re-sell, donate, or give away new or even used kids' clothes, toys, books, CDs, videos, posters, etc. Sounds ridiculous, I know. Yet that's what's in store very shortly unless someone changes things soon!

You can see how this would affect things like thrift shops, children's charities, crafters, even garage sales! Would it be enforceable? Probably not, but with such stiff penalties, many are not wanting to take a chance. There are already several online handmade kids' stores that are shutting down now before this law forces them too. They are sad about it, and so am I. This should never happen in America!

Even if you think this won't affect you, rest assured it will in one way or another.

I make 'crafty' items myself mainly as a hobby. I've sold a few over the years as well. They were never intended to be toys, but under this awful law might be considered such. That would mean I could no longer legally DO ANYTHING with my own hand-made items: I couldn't sell them, give them as gifts, or donate them! They would be considered 'hazardous' unless proven otherwise, and I'd have to either just keep them, or else destroy them! What a shame! :verysad

What can you do? First, PLEASE PRAY that level heads will prevail and write some sanity into this law before it takes effect. Either that, or that it get completely struck down and re-written.

You also still have time to contact your representatives about this. If enough people raise enough of a stink, they'll have to listen. Already the crafting community is bombarding them with letters, phone calls, and emails- but we need more average people to step up to the plate. Big corporations don't need to worry. The little people do.

And of course, with God, all things are possible. This is the one main hope I'm hanging on to regarding this. :pray

You can see how this would affect things like thrift shops, children's charities, crafters, even garage sales! Would it be enforceable? Probably not, but with such stiff penalties, many are not wanting to take a chance. There are already several online handmade kids' stores that are shutting down now before this law forces them too. They are sad about it, and so am I. This should never happen in America!
Thrift shops were the first thing that came to mind.

Even if you think this won't affect you, rest assured it will in one way or another.
Being legislated at every turn in life will always affect us. :gah

added: H.R. 4040 is one of the documents to read.
added: http://cpsia-central.ning.com/

Praise God! There's been a little bit of a victory in this:

http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html

This *seems* to clear thrift stores and charities, although it still sounds like they'd be selling at their own risk.

This still need lots of prayer, as handmade items are still being unfairly targeted. I have a feeling it will all work out, but in the meantime I'm still concerned about it. Many people are depending on their handcrafted items for income!

:pray

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back