Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Newton in a Nutshell

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
interesting...I read that BP was Ike's passion...I believe he spent most of his time trying to figure it out...

JM:

Funny you should post links to this web site. I directed my kid to the same one when he did a report on him in his AP calculus class.

He wrote an awful lot about religion? eh? A lot of people don't know that, nor do the scientists seem to want the general public to know about that aspect of his character.

In addition, you can see where he had interest in the Great Pyramid and the sacred cubit. Makes a guy like me feel at home when talking about pyramids, stars, measurement, math, lost ten tribes of Israel and so forth. I can relate---- I seem to share many of his personality traits.

I don't have a lot of time, so I didn't read the article, but I know he spent most of his life trying to prove there was a God. He has many journals unpublished about this. Funny thing is I watched about that on PBS, perhaps from NOVA I'm not sure....

Alannah said:
I don't have a lot of time, so I didn't read the article, but I know he spent most of his life trying to prove there was a God. He has many journals unpublished about this. Funny thing is I watched about that on PBS, perhaps from NOVA I'm not sure....
Newton's Dark Secrets

I saw that same show a few times too! He has some interesting belifs about the "Trinity". He was even an alchemist.

A VERY interesting man indeed. :angel:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/newton/

vic said:
Alannah said:
Newton's Dark Secrets

I saw that same show a few times too! He has some interesting belifs about the "Trinity". He was even an alchemist.

A VERY interesting man indeed. :angel:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/newton/

I have a hard time reading anything on pbs. :)

It’s generally funded by the public, so it tends to lead with sensationalism and then journalism. It’s just my opinion and opinion are like....potato chips, you can’t have just one. :-?

Keep in mind his superb math abilities. We're talking about someone who "invented" calculus YEARS before he introduced it to the world. So, I don't doubt his math skill at all but...

With that said, I do having a problem reconciling a couple of things:

Newton felt that the 70 weeks of Daniel were completed with the death of Christ around the year 33 or 34 A.D. In addition to the completion of these 490 years, Newton also believed there was a significance to the 7 weeks, 62 weeks, 1 week and 1/2 of a week.
If my math is correct, that is actually 70 1/2 weeks, no?

... The 49 years began on May 14, 1948 with the call to return and rebuild Israel. Those 49 years will end very shortly when Jesus comes as Prince to take His bride.
Let's see... 1948 + 49 = 1997 Did I miss His Second Coming?

Newton's interpretation of Daniel's 1 week is rather brief:

"Yet shall he confirm the covenant with many for one week. He kept it, notwith standing his death, till the rejection of the Jews, and calling of Cornelius and the Gentiles in the seventh year after his passion."

Like a growing number of Bible scholars, Sir Isaac Newton felt that the 1 week portion of Daniel's prophecy related to Jesus Christ and not the Anti-christ, as modern day Bible scholars teach.
This is a problem for me. I need to find out if there really was seven years between His crucifixion and Cornelius. I also am not making the connection concerning the "one week" covenant.

Mark 14:24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.

Is this really the covenant Daniel wrote about?

Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm a covenant with the many for one week. And in the middle of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the offering to cease. And on a corner of the altar will be abominations that desolate, even until the end. And that which was decreed shall pour out on the desolator. (LITV)

The thing here is Jesus' death didn't cause a cease in sacrifices, did it? What about the abominations? Jesus could have never caused abominations.

Did Jesus confirm His covenant of love and mercy with Daniel's people for 7 years? According to Newton, there was a 7 year period between the death of Christ and the time the Gospel was sent out to the Gentiles at the calling of Cornelius. If this is correct, then this could be the fulfillment of Daniel's prophecy.
This just doesn't harmonize with his 1/2 week explanation.

Newton's interpretation of Daniel's half a week is also quite brief:

"And in half a week he shall cause the sacrifice and oblation to cease; that is, by the war of the Romans upon the Jews: which war, after some commotions, began in the 13th year of Nero , A.D. 67, in the Spring when Vespasian with an army invaded them; and ended in the second year of
Vespasian, A.D. 70, in autumn, September 7 when Titus took the city, having burnt the Temple 27 days before: so that it lasted three years and an half."
The one week period above is contiguous, but half of it is in the near future? Am I reading this correctly?

Yes, I was looking for this thread. :lol: I'm glad you bumped it up.

I have reconciled a few things I posted above.

Quote:
Newton felt that the 70 weeks of Daniel were completed with the death of Christ around the year 33 or 34 A.D. In addition to the completion of these 490 years, Newton also believed there was a significance to the 7 weeks, 62 weeks, 1 week and 1/2 of a week.

If my math is correct, that is actually 70 1/2 weeks, no?
I believe Newton is including, actually adding the 3 1/2 years of the Jewish revolt and the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD to his prophecy.

I am finally getting a copy of Josephus' book Jewish Antiquities.

Quote:
Newton's interpretation of Daniel's 1 week is rather brief:

"Yet shall he confirm the covenant with many for one week. He kept it, notwith standing his death, till the rejection of the Jews, and calling of Cornelius and the Gentiles in the seventh year after his passion."

Like a growing number of Bible scholars, Sir Isaac Newton felt that the 1 week portion of Daniel's prophecy related to Jesus Christ and not the Anti-christ, as modern day Bible scholars teach.

This is a problem for me. I need to find out if there really was seven years between His crucifixion and Cornelius. I also am not making the connection concerning the "one week" covenant.

Mark 14:24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.

Is this really the covenant Daniel wrote about?

Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm a covenant with the many for one week. And in the middle of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the offering to cease. And on a corner of the altar will be abominations that desolate, even until the end. And that which was decreed shall pour out on the desolator. (LITV)

The thing here is Jesus' death didn't cause a cease in sacrifices, did it? What about the abominations? Jesus could have never caused abominations.
Looking at this from a different (historical) perspective, this could certianly be Daniel's 70th. week.

Quote:
Newton's interpretation of Daniel's half a week is also quite brief:

"And in half a week he shall cause the sacrifice and oblation to cease; that is, by the war of the Romans upon the Jews: which war, after some commotions, began in the 13th year of Nero , A.D. 67, in the Spring when Vespasian with an army invaded them; and ended in the second year of
Vespasian, A.D. 70, in autumn, September 7 when Titus took the city, having burnt the Temple 27 days before: so that it lasted three years and an half."

The one week period above is contiguous, but half of it is in the near future? Am I reading this correctly?
Heh, I wrote contiguous, but I think I meant to write continous. Anyway, from a historical perstective, this also makes sense.

Revelation is all about something in the future. Daniel is prophesying something about what happened to the Jews in the past, as the the dream of King Neb tells us, and also foretells an advent that is to come when the revised Roman Empire enters the scene.

To be honest here, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, other than over intellectualizing it. I might not have a doctorate behind my, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure what the Bible has to say about end-times. Take things literally, and figuratively. When one sees the word like or as, figure on a symbol coming after the word. For example if God says there will be a 2 million army, that is what exactly it is. If the bible talks about something like a locust, then it is anyone's guess. John could only tell us what he seen, and in todays world, it could be a helicopter.

May God bless, Golfjack

To be honest here, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, other than over intellectualizing it. I might not have a doctorate behind my, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure what the Bible has to say about end-times.
First off, no one is over intellectualizing. We are hashing things out here. Whether you choose to believe it or not, the view in question here was around for hundreds of years, way before the "sacred" pretribulation view and was actually held by many Reformers. Please do the study on the history of futurism, especially the hustory of PreTrib.

Rocket science? Maybe not, but understanding apocalyptic writing is not as easy as some make it out to be. I have learned that not everything in Revelation can be taken as literalistic, even things like the army of two hundred thousand thousand:
8-)

As far as I am concerned, you guys are out there in left field. And I certainly wouldn't study a book written by a reformer. I will stick to the Charismatic views on end-times.

May God bless, Golfjack

Re: reply

golfjack said:
As far as I am concerned, you guys are out there in left field. And I certainly wouldn't study a book written by a reformer. I will stick to the Charismatic views on end-times.

May God bless, Golfjack
Dude! I keep telling you, you really need to research and study the history of PreTribulationism. Are you afraid of what you might discover?

Back