Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] Old solar system unlikely - "Oort comet cloud"

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
G

goldendragon

I recently read some information which I believe makes a old solar system unlikely and has to do with the "Oort comet cloud". I would like to read more about it and would welcome some reader feedback. If you could limit your discussion to the "Oort comet cloud" it would be much appreciated.

Here is what I read:

More problems for the ‘Oort comet cloud’ by Danny Faulkner
http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v15/i2/oort.asp

Cometsâ€â€portents of doom or indicators of youth?
http://www.answersingenesis.org/creatio ... comets.asp

The article does not bring up any problems with the oort cloud, except that no comets have been detected at the respective distance. But that's not surprising, as our telescopes simply aren't strong enough. We can't even get a clear picture of pluto with its diameter of 2300 km, considering this it isn't surprising that objects of a few kilometres which are even further away have not been detected yet.

However, many larger objects, dwarf planets and so on have been detected at the proposed location of the oort cloud.
If these are there, isn't it reasonable that there can be more smaller objects around as well?

Moreover, clouds around other stars have been observed, such as in case of monocerotis, where it got visible due to the brightness of the star increasing temporarily:
http://images.google.de/images?q=monoce ... lder-Suche

And finally, in order to have actual evidence for a young solar system, AiG needs actual evidence that the oort cloud does not exist. Right now, with our limited capability to detect small things at this distance, the evidence is neutral.

jwu said:
And finally, in order to have actual evidence for a young solar system, AiG needs actual evidence that the oort cloud does not exist. Right now, with our limited capability to detect small things at this distance, the evidence is neutral.
I think they would also have to explain away the evidence for the Big Bang as well to prove a young universe / solar system.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back