Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Overwhelmed by wife's culture (Latin)

Djokofan

I am a Canadian man who has been married to a Colombian woman for 8 years now though I have known her for longer. We met in Canada. We are both Catholic and strive to follow our faith. We live in Canada currently. I had bad experiences during our dating period. Her friends were mostly Latin and I struggled to mix in. They would make fun of my bad Spanish. There was one guy in the group who was just sleazy as well and that rubbed me off the wrong way big-time. I stopped going to their gatherings at some point. We got married eight years ago and while things were ok, I started to see similar observations with my wife's family. Her sister would joke with me abt my Spanish as well. Her mom speaks no English and I tried my best to learn. My language skills got better over time. However, as I got to know their culture more, I observed how PROUD the people were about their country and I mean this in an almost distorted way - borderline, my country is better than yours kind of views. My mother-in-law last summer met a friend of mine who also married a Colombian. She was impressed by how his Spanish was fluid and I felt that was her way of down-playing me. I told her that there are many countries and languages in the World and that Spanish is not the only one. I found that my lack of Spanish has obviously affected our communication to the point that they probably barely know anything about me. Recently, with the Copa America tournament, I was disgusted by the level of patriotism shown and how they would bash other countries in doing so. It seemed so distorted. Anyways, I am struggling with dealing with the Latin culture. It is too proud and strong I find even if they are living outside of Colombia. I just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else has had the same struggles. Please share if you feel like doing so.

I am a Canadian man who has been married to a Colombian woman for 8 years now though I have known her for longer. We met in Canada. We are both Catholic and strive to follow our faith. We live in Canada currently. I had bad experiences during our dating period. Her friends were mostly Latin and I struggled to mix in. They would make fun of my bad Spanish. There was one guy in the group who was just sleazy as well and that rubbed me off the wrong way big-time. I stopped going to their gatherings at some point. We got married eight years ago and while things were ok, I started to see similar observations with my wife's family. Her sister would joke with me abt my Spanish as well. Her mom speaks no English and I tried my best to learn. My language skills got better over time. However, as I got to know their culture more, I observed how PROUD the people were about their country and I mean this in an almost distorted way - borderline, my country is better than yours kind of views. My mother-in-law last summer met a friend of mine who also married a Colombian. She was impressed by how his Spanish was fluid and I felt that was her way of down-playing me. I told her that there are many countries and languages in the World and that Spanish is not the only one. I found that my lack of Spanish has obviously affected our communication to the point that they probably barely know anything about me. Recently, with the Copa America tournament, I was disgusted by the level of patriotism shown and how they would bash other countries in doing so. It seemed so distorted. Anyways, I am struggling with dealing with the Latin culture. It is too proud and strong I find even if they are living outside of Colombia. I just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else has had the same struggles. Please share if you feel like doing so.

Greetings, and welcome to Christian Forums.

I'm married to a Hispanic woman, and the only immediate family we have living in this city is her sister. They are good people, and her upbringing was just immaculate compared to mine. Very wise parents who raised her very well and very intelligently.

So my circumstances are different, but I can assure you the Hispanics are all aware of each other, and some cultures are more notorious than others, but all are pretty hot-blooded, and they are each proud in their own respect. And they take their soccer very seriously.

Look at it this way, because this is what I learned about all cultures. If you can get the Spirit of God into them, they will become increasingly beautiful people, no matter what culture they are from. I used to think Spanish was an absolute BRUTAL sounding language, but that's because the only times I heard much of it were like on Universo Television, which is nothing but carnal, soulish programming 24 hours a day. Then I heard born-again, Spirit-filled Christians speaking Spanish and thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard. So it's not about the culture they come from, it's about the Spirit that is inside them. God can turn not only your wife but her entire family into exceedingly beautiful people if you can manage to get the Spirit of God within them by showing them love.

In the meantime, listen to godly, loving Hispanics on YouTube preaching the word or inspiring others to live for Christ. That will help you believe for what can be, and not just what is.

Blessings in Christ, and I wish you the best. As always, the answer may start with devoting yourself all the more whole-heartedly to Christ in your own life.
Hidden In Him

Greetings, and welcome to Christian Forums.

I'm married to a Hispanic woman, and the only immediate family we have living in this city is her sister. They are good people, and her upbringing was just immaculate compared to mine. Very wise parents who raised her very well and very intelligently.

So my circumstances are different, but I can assure you the Hispanics are all aware of each other, and some cultures are more notorious than others, but all are pretty hot-blooded, and they are each proud in their own respect. And they take their soccer very seriously.

Look at it this way, because this is what I learned about all cultures. If you can get the Spirit of God into them, they will become increasingly beautiful people, no matter what culture they are from. I used to think Spanish was an absolute BRUTAL sounding language, but that's because the only times I heard much of it were like on Universo Television, which is nothing but carnal, soulish programming 24 hours a day. Then I heard born-again, Spirit-filled Christians speaking Spanish and thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard. So it's not about the culture they come from, it's about the Spirit that is inside them. God can turn not only your wife but her entire family into exceedingly beautiful people if you can manage to get the Spirit of God within them by showing them love.

In the meantime, listen to godly, loving Hispanics on YouTube preaching the word or inspiring others to live for Christ. That will help you believe for what can be, and not just what is.

Blessings in Christ, and I wish you the best. As always, the answer may start with devoting yourself all the more whole-heartedly to Christ in your own life.
Hidden In Him
Thank you. Her mom does practise but not sure of the extent. Her sister does not. I have nothing against the language. I do not like when they try to laud it over you and EXPECT you to learn it or think it is the best language in the World. I pray for them as I do for myself. I will try to listen to more God-loving Hispanics in the meantime. Thanks for the welcome and for the reply.

¡Buenos días! La vida es bella. (Life is beautiful)

Spanish is a beautiful language. Being that it's summer, the imagery of the Spanish phrase for sun tanning comes to mind: tomar el sol (to drink the sun - literally translated). Also, goodbye (adiós) literally translated is "à Dios": "to God".

In my community, a suburb of Washington, D.C., I notice Hispanics know each other very well here. I take the bus sometimes and they often speak to other Hispanic passengers, who they seem to already know. And it's the same in the community on the streets. They have an interesting harmony to their culture, where they know each other very well. I think they are a noble people, just like all the peoples of the Earth. I'm not fluent in Spanish, but, like you, a Spanish woman laughed at me who sat next to me on the bus, just called me flaco (skinny). I didn't mind, just found it funny myself that this stranger was talking about me and I could understand at least one word.

Perhaps they are open with each other in front of you, expressing their thoughts. Why not? Perhaps you'll get better at your Spanish some day and this will all be a thing of the past. ¡Buena suerte! (Good luck).

I will try to listen to more God-loving Hispanics in the meantime. Thanks for the welcome and for the reply.

That sounds good. And keep in mind that not all of them are like that. We have an extended "family" of Hispanics here - all belong to God, though we all go to different churches - and they nearly all speak English. I'm one of the few who doesn't speak two languages, and they don't look down on me in the least.

Blessings in Christ, and feel free to keep us up to date.
Hidden

I observed how PROUD the people were about their country and I mean this in an almost distorted way - borderline, my country is better than yours kind of views.
Something to remember.
They are proud of their country, yet are li in and working in another country.
How is their country so great that they are not living and working there?

Something else to remember.
A friend of mine met a German girl, visited her in her home , there her friends showed how hospitable they were by all switching to speaking english. He married her and is living and working in Germany.

Hospitality comes I many forms.

It's understandable to feel challenged in this case... As you continue to grow in your relationship and faith, try to approach these challenges with patience and empathy, remembering that every culture has its strengths and areas for growth, and pray for understanding and harmony in your interactions. God bless.

Back