Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Paul's Thorn Was NOT A Sickness

lesjude

Please do not confuse a messenger of Satan sent to buffet Paul with Galatians 6:14-15. Thorn in the flesh is never used in scripture to speak of a sickness in OT or NT. See Numbers 33:55, Joshua 23:13, and Judges 2:3.
See 2 Corinthians 12:7. The word in the Greek for messenger, aggelos, never refers to a sickness or disease, but a person or personality. Paul also tells why the person/personality was sent. Most do not qualify for the thorn.
2 Corinthians 12:7

New King James Version (NKJV)

The Thorn in the Flesh

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.
The result of this messenger from Satan was all the violent persecutiom against Paul. This is in keeping with what the meaning is in both OT and NT.
2 Corinthians 12:9

9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.†Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Paul refers to his weakness meaning his own abilities to withstand the violent persecution i.e. beatings and being stoned do cause physical issues that could take time to heal (part of the thorn), travel, and preaching/teaching the gospel with signs following without the Holy Spirit. Note he contrasts weakness and strength not sickness and health. Here is where he boasted. Note sickness is not included. 2 Corinthians 11:22-32.
If fact in verse 30 infirmities is translated accurately as weaknesses.

Galatians 4:14-15

14 And my trial which was in my flesh you did not despise or reject, but you received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. 15 What[a] then was the blessing you enjoyed? For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your own eyes and given them to me.

These verses cannot be referring to the thorn in the flesh because it is the Greek aorist tense which makes it clear that the issue in question has ceased to exist. The "thorn" was not taken away. Notice the use of "was", past tense, meaning Paul was healed of what ever it was. The Bible does not say a believer will not get sick, but that if they do Jesus will heal them.
The phrase pluck out your eyes is a figure of speech like give you the shirt off my back. Even if it does refer to a disease Paul refers to it as cured/healed. Galatians 6:11 the word comes from the Greek pelikos which is used in the Septuagint in Zechariah 2:2 meaning length/width. In Galatians 6:11 it is not the size of the letters but its length.

Back