Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Pope says loveless relationship reason for low birth rates

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
"Everything is expensive like you said; if we don't live humbly we cannot help other people in need either."

Would you say that Soloman and King David lived humbly during their reigns? Personally, I am a very practical person so humble living suits my personality quite well. However, I think it is good that God gave each of us a difference sense in how to use money. I think we all must be good stewards, but at the same time, sometimes helping the less fortunate can be by seeing beauty to aspire for. One of the nice things Hollywood did during the depression and war was help take stress off of people as they could see these beautiful houses and lives portrayed on the screen. We get gorgeous parks and museums due to contributions of the wealthy. If everyone lived simply a lot of beauty would not be around us. We would not have beautiful music because buying expensive instruments that make the best sound would be a waste of money. Technology would stop because the research behind it would be a waste of money. Sometimes putting on nice clothes gives a person an extra spring in their step. Or holding an expensive hardbound book with golden trim gives a simple pleasure than a used paperback from the yard sale can not give. Denying people of these types of luxurious behaviors is not good. Even God has a sense of class as heaven has streets of gold and gates of pearls. Not just heaven though, when God instructed the Israelites to build a temple, it was richly furnished. If God gives us a practical spirit, then we should use that for His glory to remind people of the things that matter most in life, but if people have a flair to their taste, we should appreciate their contributions of giving visual pleasures or inspiring pleasures to those around.

Paisly,

We are not living under Old Testament covenant anymore!. You are disregarding Jesus' teachings. Jesus is very concerned for the poor and needy. There are many many poor and needy in the world. If we Christians don't help them who will? Even secular people are contributing to help the needy. Us Christians should be doing much more than those secular people. Your mentality is no different from the world's point of view. Jesus is telling us to be salt and light in the world. Living luxuriously and ignoring the needy is not Jesus' Spirit.

I disagree gingercat. Most Christians that I know who are living a good material life are also helping those in need. Some people are indeed called to live a life of poverty to help others but I don't think that is God's call for all people. God has given us many wonderful things in this life for a purpose, and I think it would be disrespectful to God to disregard His gifts. God has obviously given you a marvelous gift of a humble, giving heart. That is your gift. But God has given other gifts to other people as well and as Christians I think we should support each other's gifts. If one person's gift is to add beauty to the world, we have to acknowledge that comes from God and it is not a bad thing. As for Jesus' teachings, they are basically the same as the OT teachings which also cared for the poor and needy of the world. Caring for the poor is not just a NT thing, just as the glories and riches of heaven are not just an OT thing. Sometimes if we go one extreme or the other we are doing the same thing, just looking at material or lack of material things rather than the most important thing of all which is the nourishment of our souls for Christ.

Paisley,

Ginger is noted for her sweeping generalizations about Christians who worship in congregations. She does not worship in a congregation so in order to support where she is at she must put down Church going Christians. She had a bad experience in a Church which has led her to this putting down of those who go to Church.
It's her thing on this board. Don't sweat it.

Paisly,

I disagree with you completely but I am tired. I am going to bed. Good night.

What I see on this thread regarding the pope is alot of prejudice among people who don't even know the man and have read nothing that he has written. This is a man who has dedicated his life toward serving the Lord and his fellow man. Yet you say he doesn't know anything about love. Have any of you read his latest encyclical on love? Except for Catholicxian, I highly doudt it. I wish I had more time right now to speak on the matters that we are dicussing. I will most definitely get back to some of the total nonsense I see on this thread.

Blessings

Thessalonian said:
Yet you say he doesn't know anything about love. Have any of you read his latest encyclical on love?

No, I'm saying he doesn't know anything about romantic love.

pope

Thessalonian said:
What I see on this thread regarding the pope is alot of prejudice among people who don't even know the man and have read nothing that he has written. This is a man who has dedicated his life toward serving the Lord and his fellow man. Yet you say he doesn't know anything about love. Have any of you read his latest encyclical on love? Except for Catholicxian, I highly doudt it. I wish I had more time right now to speak on the matters that we are dicussing. I will most definitely get back to some of the total nonsense I see on this thread.

Blessings
I don't think there is a lot of prejudice shown the Pope on this thread. We don't know the Pope is true but we do know what he said. What is in question is his authority for making the claims that he did and apparantly he is out of touch with reality. There is no nonsense on this thread as those who live day in and day out have confirmed first hand the pope is out of touch and the polls that strive to find out the reason behing the low birth weights have confirmed the very claims put forth here.

Thessalonian said:
Paisley,

Ginger is noted for her sweeping generalizations about Christians who worship in congregations. She does not worship in a congregation so in order to support where she is at she must put down Church going Christians. She had a bad experience in a Church which has led her to this putting down of those who go to Church.

It's so arrongant of you to speak for me in this manner. I am speaking what I am seeing all around. Not just in the churches. I have pelenty of churchgoers and Christians all around me. I can see houses and their yard from out side. Please look around you and compare it with the third world; not just your own country and have Christian concerns. Christains should not give left overs to the needies. Where is your Christian love?

Slevin said:
Thessalonian said:
Yet you say he doesn't know anything about love. Have any of you read his latest encyclical on love?

No, I'm saying he doesn't know anything about romantic love.
Obviously you didn't read the encyclical. Pope Benedict XVI speaks of Eros even in the very beginning.

And Pope John Paul II? You'd probably be down right scandalized if you read his "Theology of the Body" or "Love and Responsibility"...

gingercat said:
Thessalonian said:
Paisley,

It's so arrongant of you to speak for me in this manner. I am speaking what I am seeing all around. Not just in the churches. I have pelenty of churchgoers and Christians all around me. I can see houses and their yard from out side. Please look around you and compare it with the third world; not just your own country and have Christian concerns. Christains should not give left overs to the needies. Where is your Christian love?

So the whole Christian world is right outside your window ginger?

Where is my Christian love? Well, I'll let God be my judge. Your not filling his shoes nearly as well as you think. I do agree that Christians should not give leftovers but I suppose it was all the non-churchgoers who were giving billions to Katrina and the destructive tsunami and to Africa and the rest of the world. No, you look down arrogantly on Church going Christians is the root of the matter. You judge with very little real evidence and broad brush them all by what you think you see.

I stand by my comments.

Blessings though

pope is out of touch and the polls that strive to find out the reason behing the low birth weights have confirmed the very claims put forth here.

What the heck are you talking about? :roll: Is a child with a low birth weight not a blessing such that Psalm 127 is wrong. When did be fruitful and multiply get sticken out of the Bible?

Re: pope

I don't think there is a lot of prejudice shown the Pope on this thread.

As if you would know if you saw it?

We don't know the Pope is true but we do know what he said. What is in question is his authority for making the claims that he did and apparantly he is out of touch with reality.

Authority? By what authority do you state your opinoins. What he said was his opinion. I happen to agree with it. I see much neglect of children in our society. I see that many people (though I will not broadbrush as you do), even many Christians neglecting children and having a negative attitude toward the blessing of children. I see people chosing fancy cars and homes and four wheelers and boats over the blessing of children. That is reality. Children are meant for our sanctification. A child takes the selfishness out of a man (such as me) making a good living who would spend his money on himself. A child helps us to grow in the virtue of patience as I will attest my children have for me. THough I still have a long way to go. A child gives us the opportunity to care for the sich and the hungry with love and compassion. A child teaches us humility when we have to change a poopy diaper. Children are great blessings but somehow we have educated ourselves to the point that what the Bible says in Psalm 127 is no longer true. I.e. the Pope is out of touch for still believing it. I heard it said once that children are our opportunity to live the beatitudes, though hopefully we will never have to visit the imprisioned.

There is no nonsense on this thread as those who live day in and day out have confirmed first hand the pope is out of touch and the polls that strive to find out the reason behing the low birth weights have confirmed the very claims put forth here.

I am surprized that you of all people from your comments on this board judge him as being out of touch by opinion polls. What do low birth weights have to do with children being a blessing. I don't see the scriptures saying anywhere "blessed the man who's quiver is full of healthy birth weight children".

Thessalonian said:
Well, I'll let God be my judge. Your not filling his shoes nearly as well as you think.

I stand by my comments.

Blessings though

It's so arrongant of you to speak for me in this manner. I am speaking what I am seeing all around.

I stand by my comments and I'll let God be my judge too.

good day thess :o

gingercat said:
Thessalonian said:
Well, I'll let God be my judge. Your not filling his shoes nearly as well as you think.

I stand by my comments.

Blessings though

It's so arrongant of you to speak for me in this manner. I am speaking what I am seeing all around.

I stand by my comments and I'll let God be my judge too.

good day thess :o

I've been in many Catholic and Protestant Churches and even Mormon and have met many humble people in all of them. I've also met people who were as you say as well. But it is clear to me that you are simply judging a book by it's cover and justifying your non-church goer prejudice against those who go to church. I am quite certain that there are hypocrits and sinners among the non-church goer types as well. I even know some. I know a few humble ones as well. I won't broadbrush any group as you like to do.

Name drop Billy Graham if you like. I hardly think he would agree with your broad brush view. In fact I doudt he would agree with you on much of anything.

Re: teach

gingercat said:
Everything is expensive like you said; if we don't live humbly we cannot help other people in need either.

If you wanted, you could get an education in a lucrative field, work hard, probably start a business, and become wealthy. You could then use that extra money to help the needy while still living in the manner in which you're accustomed. It's very selfish of you to not become a philanthropic millionaire just so you can live humbly.

That said, very young children really need to be around other children in order to develop the proper social skills. While it's possible in certain areas to find social groups of like-aged children, it's certainly not always possible. As a result, it's often beneficial for the child to attend daycare at least part of the day so that he can further his social development. However, given the cost of such daycare, it'd probably be financially unfeasible for many families to afford if both parents didn't work. The best course for the entire family in such case, children included, would be for both parents to work while the child went to daycare for a good portion of the day.

Of course, this is only really relevant until the child is old enough to attend school. If the kid is going to be away most of the day anyway, there's no reason why both parents can't work. Well, except the misogynistic notion that a wife's proper place is barefoot in the kitchen. But my wife and I both work, and our daughter is extremely happy, well-adjusted, and socially adept. Moreso, in fact, than some of our friends' children, who had stay-at-home moms. All that really matters, at the end of the day, is that the parents love their children and stay active in their lives.

[quote="Thessalonian"I am certain that there are hypocrits and sinners among the non-church goer types as well.

[/quote]

Obviously you don't seem to know the difference between the sinners and hypocrites. That proves your standard of faith. Good day thess. :o

Re: teach

ArtGuy said:
That said, very young children really need to be around other children in order to develop the proper social skills. While it's possible in certain areas to find social groups of like-aged children, it's certainly not always possible. As a result, it's often beneficial for the child to attend daycare at least part of the day so that he can further his social development.
Artguy,

You should read more Bible rather than secular "how to" books.

I used to read those kind of secular books and raised my two older kids accordingly and failed miserably.

When I became Christian 7 years ago, I stopped reading any secular "how to" books and raising my two younger kids now 16 and 18 years old mentally and spiritually find young adults!!!

My older daughter now 27 years old, knows very well from my mistakes that she never trust secular schools and raising her 5 year old son home shooling. He is happy, outgoing and mentally healthy young boy!!!!

Praise the Lord!!! Thank you Jesus for your "How to" Book!!!!

Back